UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Offered and Wanted Messages > Sets, Parts and Service Information Wanted (private buyers only, no swaps)

Notices

Sets, Parts and Service Information Wanted (private buyers only, no swaps) If you need help obtaining components, sets or equipment, post a message here. Private buyers only - no traders. No swaps.

Closed Thread

Old 17th Feb 2018, 5:44 pm   #1
electronicskip
Heptode

Default Anything Prestel related

I'm looking to expand my small collection of Prestel related items which ive collected over a long time.
I'm open to anything from Tvs with built in Prestel to terminals ,articles or anything Prestel related.
I did ask on another site but came up blank so I'm hoping someone here might be able to help me .
Cash waiting as I don't expect it for free.
Old 17th Feb 2018, 9:54 pm   #2
MrBungle
Nonode

Default Re: Anything Prestel related

Only thing I ever did with Prestel was on a BBC micro and that was a very very long time ago when I was at secondary school. It was the latest and greatest thing then. There's a picture of the box (modem) here: http://chrisacorns.computinghistory....elAdapter.html

If you look down the page there is the Prestel adapter user manual which has some interesting stuff in it as it was aimed at first time Prestel users.
Old 18th Feb 2018, 12:19 am   #3
emeritus
Nonode

The only time I saw Prestel hardware in the flesh was on a works visit to BT at Martlesham in the early 1980's. They had a terminal in their reception where its operation was demonstrated, including the possibility of ordering goods and services. The demonstrator explained that they had had to modify it to lock out the completion of purchases following an unfortunate incident a few months earlier where the demonstrator had inadvertently managed to order a couple of cases of expensive wines that had duly been delivered a few days later! I'm afraid that the bumf they gave us at the time is long gone.
Old 18th Feb 2018, 12:39 am   #4
SiriusHardware
Nonode

electronicskip, your collection can't be considered complete without a Prism VTX5000, which I believe was a modem / Prestel adaptor for the Sinclair Spectrum. I assume you have one of those?

Do you have something which simulates Prestel to use this old hardware with?
Old 18th Feb 2018, 8:50 am   #5
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Although it was not a project in which I was directly involved, the company I used to work for provided a Prestel-based system for travel agents in the days before the interweb. After I left the company and moved to Cumbria, I received a little wry amusement from discovering that my local travel agent was using the system provided by my former employer.
Old 18th Feb 2018, 9:53 am   #6
peter_sol
Octode

Many libraries used philips tv's with buiit in prestel adaptors. just like Teletext,Useful before the wide spread use of the internet.
Old 18th Feb 2018, 9:53 am   #7
Dai Corner
Pentode

I used Prestel with my Spectrum and BBC Micro. I'll see if i still have the hardware.

Travel agents were big users, as Dave says. The service for home users was called Micronet 800 and offered email, software downloads, online banking, social media (though the term didn't exist then) in the form of a Gallery you could edit yourself and even a real time (ish) chat room. It was years ahead if its time.

What killed it off was the high cost of telecoms in those days and the per-page and per-minute charges instead of advertising.
Old 18th Feb 2018, 11:08 am   #8
Cobaltblue
Nonode

Diving way back into my Memory a friend was well into Prestel using his Tangerine ISTR that Tangerine went on to create a commercial Prestel unit called Tantel this would have been very late 70's more or less in parallel with my Nascom1

Cheers

Mike T
Old 18th Feb 2018, 11:09 am   #9
llama
Octode

PM sent.
Graham
Old 18th Feb 2018, 1:03 pm   #10
mike_newcomb
Heptode

Hi Skip,

in case you are unaware, often the Prestel Viewdata communication protocol was provided / supported by early (internal and external) PC Modems.

Thus the required service could be called and connected to using the PC itself.

BT messed up, essentially asking for a blank Cheque as it was impossible to calculate/estimate how much usage costs would be. Thus Information Providers created Viewdata services that could be directly dialed bypassing BT Prestel.

Do any such services still exist?

Regards - Mike
Old 18th Feb 2018, 1:11 pm   #11
Cobaltblue
Nonode

There is a later model Tantel unit here

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VINTAGE-T...IAAOSwEZdaIs6D

But it only has minutes to go

Cheers

Mike T
Old 18th Feb 2018, 1:18 pm   #12
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

I must check as I used to have a very tidy small Sony Prestel unit and 2 keyboards.

I certainly wont be using it.
Old 18th Feb 2018, 4:59 pm   #13
electronicskip
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiriusHardware View Post
electronicskip, your collection can't be considered complete without a Prism VTX5000, which I believe was a modem / Prestel adaptor for the Sinclair Spectrum. I assume you have one of those?

Do you have something which simulates Prestel to use this old hardware with?
Indeed I do have an Immaculate Prism VTX5000 Modem but the use was for a local bulletin board I used to run many moons ago coupled to a Sinclair ZX Spectrum.
Old 18th Feb 2018, 5:01 pm   #14
Peter88gate
Tetrode

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiriusHardware View Post
electronicskip, your collection can't be considered complete without a Prism VTX5000, which I believe was a modem / Prestel adaptor for the Sinclair Spectrum.
I was an avid user of Prestel and used both Micronet 800 and online banking from Homelink (provided by the Nottingham Building Society in conjunction with the Bank of Scotland). This later morphed into HOBS from the Bank of Scotland when the NBS pulled out.

I will probably still have brochures from Homelink & HOBS if they are of any use to you.

There was even an early version of online grocery shopping in the London area called Telecard Supershop that I subscribed to for a time! I may well have the catalogue from that enterprise somewhere.

All of this primitive surfing was done using a Sinclair Spectrum and Prism VTX5000 (and I had the large telephone bills that this entailed!). I certainly still have a Prism VTX5000 you can have, if you haven't got one.

Peter
Old 18th Feb 2018, 5:02 pm   #15
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_newcomb View Post
often the Prestel Viewdata communication protocol was provided / supported by early (internal and external) PC Modems.
I once had an external modem (made by Pace) for use with my BBC Micro that supported the 1200/75 bps mode used by Prestel. Unfortunately, I passed this on - and have since more than once regretted having done so.

This was an oddity as (possibly the only) asymmetric line rate used in the dial-up era. Something that resurfaced (at considerably higher data rates) with the Asymmetric Digital Subscriber Line (ADSL).
Old 18th Feb 2018, 8:16 pm   #16
Richard_FM
Hexode

I remember reading that Prestel had a niche with Travel Agents & Bookmakers up to the internet going mainstream.
Old 18th Feb 2018, 8:38 pm   #17
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

1200/75 was used [by me, delivering dialup email services to a few thousand scientists and project-managers] extensively during the 1980s. We used "Andersen Jacobson" modems/acoustic-couplers.

The split-baud-rate worked on the assumption that you typed a lot slower than you read.

An assumption which fell down once people started using offline data-preparation with tape-cassettes to store what had been prepared, then the users logged-in to upload their stories/papers and found it took an hour or so to send.

I wish I'd kept one of the TI "Silent-732" terminals.
Old 18th Feb 2018, 10:07 pm   #18
michamoo
Hexode

I do remember in my earliest days in the TV trade delivering some Prestel equipment. One unit was a Philips G11 chassis set to a farm office to check the stock market etc on. The other unit was an adapter to turn a standard TV into a Prestel terminal. This latter unit was a Tantel adapter made by Tangerine computers in Cambridgeshire (Ely at that time i think?) This was also for use on another farm.

Here is some further reading on the Tantel Adapter and related systems.

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=...dapter&f=false
Old 19th Feb 2018, 7:20 am   #19
electronicskip
Heptode

Thank you to everyone who has replied to this post, and messaged me.
I'm keen to preserve this part of telephonic history especially as the duration of operation was so short.
Anyone else think of anything please message me .
Old 19th Feb 2018, 9:12 am   #20
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by G6Tanuki View Post
The split-baud-rate worked on the assumption that you typed a lot slower than you read.
Which in turn meant that you weren't wasting as much precious bandwidth waiting for keyboard input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G6Tanuki View Post
An assumption which fell down once people started using offline data-preparation with tape-cassettes to store what had been prepared, then the users logged-in to upload their stories/papers and found it took an hour or so to send.
That seems a good explanation of why it fell out of favour until the broadband age. At ADSL upload speeds, mass uploads still proceed at an acceptable speed even though they are slower than download - and the majority of traffic is down the line rather than up.