UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Offered and Wanted Messages > Sets, Parts and Service Information Wanted (private buyers only, no swaps)

Notices

Sets, Parts and Service Information Wanted (private buyers only, no swaps) If you need help obtaining components, sets or equipment, post a message here. Private buyers only - no traders. No swaps.

Closed Thread

Old 14th Feb 2018, 10:05 pm   #1
Karin Machina
Triode

Default Sony TC-63 drive belt

Hey its me again. The drive belt on my TC63 finally gave in. I've been using it for a while and recently started recording songs direct from my computer. I've given it a heck of a makeover.

The Heads are looking much better than they did previously after I used magnetic head cleaner on it. Only issue is finding a replacement drive belt... not sure what size it is since its stretched and snapped. It seems to be around the 60-75mm radius but I'm not so sure.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180214_202608.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	157382   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180214_202751.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	157383   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180214_205955.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	157384   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180214_210000.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	157385   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180214_210007.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	157386  

Old 15th Feb 2018, 1:02 am   #2
Karin Machina
Triode

Default Re: Sony TC-63 drive belt

Oh I just want to ask as well... i don't know what power cable this takes..
Old 15th Feb 2018, 4:09 am   #3
Karin Machina
Triode

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQUG...ature=youtu.be when it works.. i imagine elastic bands cause some issues since it wavers and the speed isnt consistent now. not as good as in this youtube video anyway... Ive spent alot of time since this video cleaning the heads so it should be marginally higher quality when i record songs next time.
Old 15th Feb 2018, 5:53 am   #4
Boater Sam
Dekatron

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.

Belt. 65-70mm RADIUS is huge, did you mean diameter?
Old 15th Feb 2018, 8:22 pm   #5
Karin Machina
Triode

Woops yes i meant diameter.. so far ive just put an elastic band in it and its awful..
Old 15th Feb 2018, 8:28 pm   #6
Karin Machina
Triode

In the past I've found its controls to not function very well.. When I press the rewind button down it loses contact. I have to hold it down to a certain degree for it to make contact and hold it in that position..However after taking it apart and using fine oil to liberally clean it then wipe off any rust and dirt, then lubricate.. it works perfectly now.. well apart from the band snapping
Old 15th Feb 2018, 10:54 pm   #7
camtechman
Nonode

Karin,

Quote:
Oh I just want to ask as well... i don't know what power cable this takes..
It appears your TC63 is a UK version, hence the label next to the mains socket that states: "This Apparatus Must Be Earthed" There are at least two types used by Sony and they are hard to find and probably harder as it's a UK type.

If you would post a side-on photo of the socket, so that the number of pins & the layout can be identified. Although, from one of your photos, it looks that it may not be the original socket (see yellow arrow) but a photo would be helpfull
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	TC63.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	157463  

Last edited by camtechman; 15th Feb 2018 at 11:12 pm.
Old 16th Feb 2018, 12:23 am   #8
Karin Machina
Triode

I recently found out what cable it is.. its a discontinued one.. Its a 3 pin plug shaped like a modern TV mains only smaller and more pronounced.

https://www.petervis.com/electronics...ains-cable.jpg
Old 16th Feb 2018, 1:02 am   #9
Karin Machina
Triode

Here is the side view anyhow. I would love to find a cable in a boot sale or something to record songs to cassetes then use batteries when out and about. but i doubt i'll find a cable for it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20180215_235801.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	157474  
Old 16th Feb 2018, 1:15 am   #10
Boater Sam
Dekatron

Looks similar to the ones Sony used on their camera chargers, try that line.
Old 16th Feb 2018, 1:27 am   #11
Karin Machina
Triode

hmm... It might not be possible to find one.. but at boot sales you never know what you can find.. aside from that i wanna give this Cassette corder another makeover.. Only issue really is the motor... If i could replace the motor i would be most pleased. It sticks and stops and fine oil seems to have worked for now..The resistence on the play setting is a little low.. it doesnt take much to stop it.. the magnetic head seems to be alright but im gonna buy one just to be sure.

https://www.petervis.com/electronics...s%20cable.html

Last edited by Karin Machina; 16th Feb 2018 at 1:35 am.
Old 16th Feb 2018, 3:22 am   #12
Karin Machina
Triode

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97N4...ature=youtu.be Is this normal for a cassette corder thats using an elastic band for a drive belt? because it worked fine up until it snapped. and ive been using magnetic head cleaner on it between it breaking and such. so im hoping this wonky wavey tone is just the drive belt.
Old 16th Feb 2018, 3:23 am   #13
Karin Machina
Triode

Tried several different cassettes too. honestly Chromium Dioxide is weird to me..
Old 16th Feb 2018, 12:59 pm   #14
camtechman
Nonode

Karin,

One day, a lead may turn up.

I have a collection of Sony TC cassette recorders, 3 of which use the same lead as yours and eventually(some 2 years later) one turned up (it came with a "scrap/parts only" Sony recorder) which cost me 12.

Search for a lead or a "for parts" machine with lead on Ebay and save the search and, you'll never know, one may turn up. As it did for me.

Lucky it's not a Philips N2205 cassette recorder, the lead for this machine is rarer than rocking horse droppings ! It took 3 years to find one and it cost 15 alone !
Old 16th Feb 2018, 1:56 pm   #15
Karin Machina
Triode

Hopefully one will turn up. I'd love to have a job working with old electronics like this.
Old 19th Feb 2018, 3:59 am   #16
Karin Machina
Triode

can I double check that the waves oscillating sound is purely just by use of elastic bands for drive belts and not actually another issue?
Old 19th Feb 2018, 5:25 am   #17
Boater Sam
Dekatron

If you mean "wow" then yes , most likely. Lots of belts are stocked at component suppliers, I'm surprised that none of the tape lads here have not advised you.

You know, that power socket looks like a lead off an Acer computer power pack would fit.
Old 19th Feb 2018, 7:22 am   #18
camtechman
Nonode

Karin,

I might be able to help you with the main belt but I'll send you a PM later to get some information from you.

In the meantime, do you have a Service Manual for the TC-63 ?

If not you can download one from the following site, Free Of Charge !

https://elektrotanya.com/sony_tc-63.pdf/download.html

You don't even have to register to download it (as long as you don't download more than 2 times a day, more than that, you will have to register)

Just a tip, when the page shows, at the foot of the page it will say: "Processing" (see pic #1)

Then a few minutes later it will change to "Get Manual" - Click on that and it will download. (see pic #2)

Tony
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1. Processing.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	157742   Click image for larger version

Name:	2. Get Now.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	157743  

Last edited by camtechman; 19th Feb 2018 at 7:29 am.
Old 19th Feb 2018, 9:42 pm   #19
Karin Machina
Triode

Hmm ive looked over the manual and i might have changed the speed on the playback with one of the screws i removed to replace the drive band.. that and the batteries are dying i took the liberty of using a system we had for decades that i know to be fine.. turns out the recordings on my cassette corder started going faster and higher pitched and the fluttering started to increase too just before the original drive belt snapped. and after the fluttering was still slightly present. to be honest i'd need fresh batteries to really test it again and they are a pain for eating battery life.. I would like to record music to cassettes other than the cassette corder but it looks like its the only viable option.
Old 23rd Feb 2018, 1:09 am   #20
Karin Machina
Triode

I just found out that it had no fuse and had a shaver charger that fitted in well and it started to work plugged into the mains, but the wow and flutter are still in effect. could that be the elastic bands as drive belts or the time i cleaned the heads?
Closed Thread