UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 10th Dec 2017, 1:05 pm   #1
Hoddbod
Retired Dormant Member

Default Speaker replacement

Hi. I have a Ferguson Studio 100 D. The speakers fitted are Goodmans rated at 8 OHMs. 68 mm diameter. Can these be replaced with better quality units? I have opened up one of the cabinets and i enclose photo.

Hoddbod.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0695_Fotor.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	153723  
Old 10th Dec 2017, 2:40 pm   #2
jamesperrett
Octode

Default Re: Speaker replacement

Personally I wouldn't bother replacing just the speaker as other aspects of the cabinet (like rigidity and damping) are probably lacking too. I would look at finding some 70's or 80's hifi speakers to replace them. I wouldn't go for anything too good but something mid-market like Celestion Ditton 15's, Wharfedale Lintons or KEF Codas. There are a whole host of others in a similar vein and they would probably cost about the same as a pair of replacement drivers.
Old 10th Dec 2017, 3:05 pm   #3
mole42uk
Nonode

It is unlikely that you will gain any audible improvement by replacing the drivers. As James writes, replace the whole speaker with something that you like to listen to.

Index:
recursive loop: see recursive loop
Old 10th Dec 2017, 3:35 pm   #4
Hoddbod
Retired Dormant Member

Hi. Thank you for your replies. iv'e been looking on E Bay and have seen some suitable ones. Some are of 6 ohms rating will these be any good because mine are 8 ohms.? And what about wattage?
regards
Hoddbod.
Old 11th Dec 2017, 12:16 am   #5
jamesperrett
Octode

6 ohms should be fine provided you don't use the system at full volume for extended periods. I don't think that the Studio 100 was particularly powerful - probably around 10 watts per channel so most hifi speakers would be able to handle that sort of power.
Old 11th Dec 2017, 11:09 am   #6
Hoddbod
Retired Dormant Member

Hi. What about Mordant short MS10 iv'e seen on Ebay. They are rated at 8 OHM. Are they good speakers,?
Hoddbod.
Old 11th Dec 2017, 1:27 pm   #7
FIXITNOW
Octode

MS10s I find are good I have 2 pairs as the rear channels on my surround system
Old 11th Dec 2017, 3:27 pm   #8
paulsherwin

Yes, they are fine hifi budget speakers and will provide a huge upgrade for a music centre like your Fergie.

Just about anything from the big hifi names will provide a big improvement - Wharfedale, Goodmans, Mission, Celestion, Acoustic Research, B&W, Tannoy, KEF, Gale, Eltax etc. Look for speakers that are near to you and collection only. There are some absolute bargains to be had.
Old 19th Dec 2017, 10:00 pm   #9
Jimmyhaflinger
Heptode

Most HiFi speakers would be badly underdriven by a 10W amp and may even sound worse than its original speakers.

If you really want something better then you should stick to high efficiency type speakers, maybe a pair of Diatone or Isophon fullrange drivers.
Old 20th Dec 2017, 3:18 pm   #10
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

I don't think the OP will be looking at speakers in this price range for such a basic Music Centre. A pair of Tannoy Mercurys (high sensitivity reflex type) for £50.00 will be way more than adequate for this budget Ferguson.
Old 23rd Dec 2017, 1:20 am   #11
jamesperrett
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyhaflinger View Post
Most HiFi speakers would be badly underdriven by a 10W amp and may even sound worse than its original speakers.
From personal experience I would say this is a bit of a myth. I've often driven expensive hifi speakers from small amplifiers with no problems - provided you don't expect more from the amplifier than it can give.
Old 25th Dec 2017, 1:34 am   #12
Jimmyhaflinger
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesperrett View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyhaflinger View Post
From personal experience I would say this is a bit of a myth. I've often driven expensive hifi speakers from small amplifiers with no problems - provided you don't expect more from the amplifier than it can give.
i once tried to drive a pair of AR6 speakers with a Sanyo G2601 music centre, the result was absolutely laughable, it actually sounded much better with its cheap original speakers
Closed Thread