UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 4th Jun 2015, 10:37 am   #21
julie_m
Dekatron

Default Re: "Newer" reel to reel recordings

Of course you can have a light!
Old 4th Jun 2015, 7:07 pm   #22
Top Cap
Octode

Default Re: "Newer" reel to reel recordings

I have an Akai 4000 but it was not very good at playing old mono recordings through a stereo system, but excellent for stereo. I even had a 15ips capstan sleeve made for it but it was so large that it was difficult to thread the tape, but results were impressive to say the least. I then acquired a Teac A3440, alleged to have come from the famous Abbey Road Studios but it was in a very sad state. After repair it now produces sparkling recordings and play back and is first choice when making recordings from rare vinyl LP's. The modern tape is a joy to use, currently trialling some American studio mastering tape, yes some studios still use it. But it is only available in 2400 length so a 10" reel goes through fairly quickly. I guess the tape thickness is dictated by the fact it is mastering tape but boy it is expensive. The Teac is part of my system and gets regular running with a wide range of 10" reels covering many genres of music.