UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 31st Jan 2014, 8:13 am   #1
echelon
Tetrode

Default In-series resistor mid-way in a battery stack: why?

I'm in the process of repairing a complex toy telephone, which is headed for being 25 years old.

I'm intrigued by the fact that the two pairs of AA/HP7 batteries are mid-point linked by a resistor, and not the conventional expectation of a shorting-strap to place the cells in series.

I've never seen this before, on any battery-portable equipment that I've repaired in my half-century of experience.

Any theories as to the design rationale?
Old 31st Jan 2014, 10:05 am   #2
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Default Re: In-series resistor mid-way in a battery stack: why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by echelon View Post
Any theories as to the design rationale?
Wouldn't be some sort of crude transmission bridge, would it? Battery supply across both lines and speech 'encouraged' to go direct from 'phone to 'phone rather than be shunted by the battery?

This is a job normally done by a relay or inductor, but a resistor is cheaper.

Just a thought...

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 1st Feb 2014, 1:12 pm   #3
Nicklyons2
Octode

I'm thinking the same; it would allow simple hadsets with the earpiece and mic ostensibly being in parallel across the 'line'. The varying resistance of the carbon mic (with speech) would cause the current to vary in sympathy and hence the voltage across the battery stack. The 'line' voltage is thus modulated by the speech and can be easily coupled via a blocking capacitor to the earpiece.
Old 2nd Feb 2014, 1:54 am   #4
Herald1360
Dekatron

If it's that crude, why bother with a capacitor- just let the standing dc through the parallel connected earpiece coils provide the magnetic bias instead of a permanent magnet. Even cheaper!
.........O..Chris....O
Closed Thread