UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 30th Jan 2014, 7:03 pm   #1
kevinski
Retired Dormant Member

Default "That Cap"

Hi all, I am right in thinking that "That Cap" applies only to valve amp players and not transistor players or am I incorrect in that assumption.

Kevin
Old 30th Jan 2014, 7:22 pm   #2
G8HQP Dave
Rest in Peace

Default Re: "That Cap"

Only valves. To be more precise: only situations where a coupling cap comes from a high DC voltage and feeds a high DC resistance. This is unlikely to be found in a transistor amp, but I suppose an analogous situation could occur if an electrolytic went leaky - then the voltages and impedances are all much smaller but could perhaps be in the same ratios as for valves.
Old 30th Jan 2014, 9:06 pm   #3
julie_m
Dekatron

It mostly applies only to valve equipment. Leaky capacitors will upset the biasing in transistor circuits, but this is rarely fatal. Remember valves are voltage-operated, depletion-mode devices, which means they default to full conduction with no bias; and also there is more than enough HT voltage, and the circuit impedances are high enough, for even a slight leak to cause problems.
Old 31st Jan 2014, 3:18 pm   #4
kalee20
Dekatron

In fact, leakage in "that cap" will put a positive voltage on the grid, relative to chassis - so it doesn't matter if the valve is an enhancement-mode or depletion-mode device. Either way, there's trouble.
Closed Thread