UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 12th Feb 2018, 3:33 pm   #1
Pete_kaye
Octode

Default HMV labels

I have a 1953 Bakelite set with a perfect HMV label on the top which has lightly raised letters. How are they attached to the surface?
Secondly , one year older, an HMV 1124 on worn veneer. Why are they so different quality?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3855.JPG
Views:	176
Size:	101.6 KB
ID:	157258   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3859.JPG
Views:	184
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	157259  
Old 12th Feb 2018, 5:07 pm   #2
Aerodyne
Octode

Default Re: HMV labels

I'd suggest that the older set has suffered from exposure to atmosphere and perhaps sunlight, crazing and dulling the lacquer finish and therefore obscuring the transfer. It looks like a transfer system to me -as I can't imagine direct four-colour letterpress printing on wood or Bakelite and even less likely, some novel form of lithography.
Of course, I may be wrong...

Tony
Old 12th Feb 2018, 6:51 pm   #3
David G4EBT
Dekatron

I'd have thought a water-slide transfer, and as Tony says, many years of exposure to sunlight.

Someone on the forum - I don't know who - uploaded a scan, though it lacks the Royal Warrant. (I wouldn't know when that was granted). The scan isn't very high resolution, and unfortunately, I don't think it would have much opacity on a dark background if printed on clear decal paper and the white areas of the dog wouldn't be white - they'd be transparent. The 'picture frame' image of 'Nipper' and the horn would print fine on white waterslide decal paper, cut to the edges of the image so no white was showing, but the lettering would end up on a white background, so wouldn't be satisfactory.

Worth experimenting with though.

I've attached a second circular HMV scan - maybe for a speaker horn - which also came from a forum member.

Again, it's low resolution, though for a small transfer might look OK should anyone be stuck for a scan.

Ink jet printers print quite a good imitation of gold - good enough to fool the eye. (Well my eyes, anyway!).

To take a philosophical view, the antique trade would view the crazing and fading as 'patina' and leave well alone.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HMV Logo Waterslide Transfer.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	157271   Click image for larger version

Name:	HMV Nipper round emblem.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	157273  
Old 13th Feb 2018, 3:36 pm   #4
Pete_kaye
Octode

Thanks for all that advice. I was curious to know how they are fixed in first place too.
Closed Thread