UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 16th Sep 2021, 7:51 pm   #1
Ken G3XSJ
Triode

Default Sir Clive Sinclair. R.I.P.

So sorry to hear of the passing of this inspirational man. Although he will always be associated with computers and the C5, I first came across his name with miniature radios, amplifiers and of course his Babani books of transistor design.
Perhaps the docu-drama "Micro Men" might be aired again in his memory.
Old 16th Sep 2021, 8:18 pm   #2
McMurdo
Dekatron

Default Re: Sir Clive Sinclair

Passed this morning according to wikipedia, though I've had R4 on all day and heard nothing, and the BBC news webpage does not mention it. There's been a lively thread about him on here recently..somewhere.
Old 16th Sep 2021, 8:40 pm   #3
Stockden
Heptode

It has made it onto the BBC News website now but with very little text and inevitably accompanied by a picture of him sitting in a C5.
Old 16th Sep 2021, 8:51 pm   #4
Viewmaster
Hexode

Default Sir Clive Sinclair

Sir Clive Sinclair has passed away, aged 81.
RIP
Old 16th Sep 2021, 8:56 pm   #5
greg_simons
Octode

Very sad news, i also came to know him by building the micromatic transister radio, them built the zx80 from a kit and learnt basic, very forward thinking guy even if the C5 was a predictable failure, he had the idea of personal electric transport before the technology and materials caught up, i belive he made and lost two fortunes first on the radios and amps, then again on the computer stuff, he was definitely living in the 21st century long before it came to pass, great guy and engineer, a sad loss.
Greg.
Old 16th Sep 2021, 8:57 pm   #6
stevehertz
Dekatron

Oh dear, what an icon of a man, a trailblazer, and in an electronics world where designers tended to be conservative, he was not afraid to launch products that were truly groundbreaking. Bless him.
Old 16th Sep 2021, 9:39 pm   #7
McMurdo
Dekatron

Default Re: Sir Clive Sinclair. R.I.P.

Ken mentioned the tv film 'Micro-Men'. You can see it in full on youtube, and I do urge anyone with even a passing interest in the uk 80's computer scene to watch it.
The film portrays through drama the rise and fall of Sinclair and Acorn and is rivetting and very entertaining. It even has Sophie (Roger) Wilson playing a barmaid and opening credits rolling to a Vangelis tune.

The Centre for Computing History has a few youtube supplemental videos that cover the making of the film and where it stuck to, and departed from, the facts along with chats with some of the 'real' stars of the industry.
Old 16th Sep 2021, 9:57 pm   #8

How sad, I worked for him in the late 80's and had a few pints with him in the company bar (Greene King IPA always on tap, and free). A proper, lovable, very intelligent maverick.

My memories of him and the work always make me smile, RIP Clive... (got tears now).

Old 16th Sep 2021, 10:06 pm   #9
russell_w_b
Dekatron

It was his calculator kits I first remember him for: all the rage when I was at Grammar School. I never had one but a couple of my pals did. We (the school) had just taken receipt of a very expensive HP thing that worked by reverse Polish logic then everyone was brandishing Sinclair's calculators.

And someone had one of his little matchbox-size radios too.

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 16th Sep 2021, 10:07 pm   #10
Trevor
Octode

Many's the time I looked at his adds as a young man ! I a lot of ways remarkable in other ways a dreamer ,But where would we be without our dreams He totally sold me on the future both transistors and digital
He was supposed to be difficult at times I believe but can't we all
Sadly missed a mon of the future here today
Old 16th Sep 2021, 10:20 pm   #11
Richard_FM
Octode

Very sad news, over the years he managed to make new technology more accessible, even if he didn't always profit each time.
Old 16th Sep 2021, 10:29 pm   #12
paulsherwin

My first HiFi amp was a late System 2000 (the all silicon one). Sinclair was always a bit of a chancer, but he was a genuine English 'character' and the world needs more people like him. RIP.
Old 16th Sep 2021, 10:30 pm   #13
dglcomp
Heptode

R.I.P. Sir Clive
Old 16th Sep 2021, 10:40 pm   #14
cmjones01
Nonode

My first computer was a ZX81. I still treasure it. Learning about it set the course for my whole professional life. Little did I know at the time, but that little machine started a revolution for the whole country. Suddenly everybody could have a computer. What an achievement.

RIP Sir Clive.
Old 16th Sep 2021, 11:16 pm   #15
Spec-chum
Tetrode

Several of his Sinclair computers have taken residence in my spare room cupboards, under bed storage, etc. He's got a bit to answer for that Sir Clive around my home.

But sad to hear of his passing. I owe him many beers for the fun and pleasure his computers have given me, and still do.
Old 16th Sep 2021, 11:37 pm   #16
Buzby123
Heptode

I too had umpteen of Clive's inventions. Amps, radios, calculators, a watch, and of course, computers. Most were crap, but so futuristic that I couldn't resist having them.

As well as the obvious success of his early computers, it's often forgotten that Acorn would not exist if Chris Curry had not worked for Clive, and that led eventually to the ARM architecture in so many products today.

The legacy of Sir Clive is all around us.

R.I.P Sir Clive.
Old 16th Sep 2021, 11:40 pm   #17
Vintage_RC
Heptode

I was saddened to read of his passing, I still have a Sinclair QL up in the loft. Like many of his products, released before it was ready but it ended up as a capable computer. I learned 68000 assembly language and C programming with it and also used it to write 6502 assembly language programs using a cross assembler.
Old 16th Sep 2021, 11:41 pm   #18
knobtwiddler
Octode

Taken from his Wiki page:
Quote:
Despite his involvement in computing, Sinclair did not use the Internet, stating that he does not like to have "technical or mechanical things around me" as it distracts from the process of invention.[30][31] In 2010, he stated that he did not use computers himself, and prefers using the telephone rather than email.[32]

A total pioneer. I can only echo what's been already said, particularly in relation to the world being a better place if there were more people with his level of creativity. Well done, Sir Clive!
Old 17th Sep 2021, 1:22 am   #19
whiskas
Octode

Very sad news... a true innovator and unique businessman.
I remember the 2nd hand ZX80 which was the first computer I used... those were the good days!
Old 17th Sep 2021, 6:58 am   #20
electronicskip
Nonode

Very sad news indeed.
The BBC now have a page dedicated to his life.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-58587521

I also have many of his computers/inventions and he gave me many a happy hours of enjoyment with them.
A couple of years ago i visited the National Waterfront museum in Swansea and finally got to sit in the Sinclair C5 they have there ,a lifelong ambition for me.

Last edited by electronicskip; 17th Sep 2021 at 7:08 am.
Closed Thread