UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Clubs, Groups and Societies

Notices

Clubs, Groups and Societies For discussions about various clubs, groups and societies relating to our hobbies, such as the BVWS (incl RetroTechUK), BATC, RSGB, APTS, CLPGS, THG, TCC, BECG, MCR21 etc. This is NOT an official forum for any of these organisations.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Nov 2010, 5:29 pm   #1
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Default BVWS and NVCF websites updated

The BVWS website has been updated with the 2011 events and the auction results up to the last Harpenden event. I still need to add the 2010 bulletins and DVD somewhen.

The NVCF website has been updated with the date, entry price and stall booking form for 2011.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 24th Nov 2010, 10:04 am   #2
Hoveradio
Pentode

Default Re: BVWS and NVCF websites updated

Hi,I've noticed from the new 2011 events diary that there is no Harpenden meet due in June.This year, this is when the AGM happened along with a large auction.Does this mean that the AGM has gone back to being in March?
Regards John.
Old 24th Nov 2010, 10:17 am   #3
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

It's a pity we won't have the great June vintage wireless weekend any more. Garden party on Saturday followed by Harpenden on Sunday.

If you've been to any Harpenden meetings recently you can hardly help but notice the decline in numbers of stalls. There was a time when if I wanted the small hall set up for a talk I'd be negotiating carefully with the organiser who would be struggling to fit in all the stalls. Not any more; if there's not a talk the small hall is usually empty now.

The other thing you may have noticed is the decline in the main auction. Many fewer lots, often of lesser quality. I don't know how much the hall costs to hire now but I suspect the main auction this year made a loss.

Vintage Wireless is still thriving, just look at this forum, but it's changing. Ebay has made a huge difference to the way stuff is traded. In my opinion, the way to take Harpenden forwards is to add value. I do my best to organise interesting talks but finding suitable speakers is always difficult. Demonstrations such as the 240 line TV this year are also very welcome. I'm sure the committee would welcome offers of help in this area.
Old 24th Nov 2010, 11:08 am   #4
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Very interesting to see the results of the auctions.

I'm sorry to hear that Harpy in June is off in 2011.

FWIW, here are a few off the top thoughts and impressions:

June 2010 was the first BVWS Auction I'd attended and I couldn't stay long as my wife and I were on our way to visit family in Essex. I did however stay for an hour or so to see the bidding, and was amazed how cheaply some of the lots went - some for less than I'd expect them to be sold at car boot sales. Admittedly many were run of the mill sets, probably the components such as speakers, mains trannies, coils, valves IFTs, etc worth more than the sum of their parts as complete sets.

On the other hand, I was also amazed at the high prices realised by ex military stuff, some in a very poor state, and some 'communications' receivers too.

Never having attended an auction before, I'd no idea that there would be close on 200 lots, and the effort involved in organising of the auction can only be imagined. Booking the venue, calling for lots, security, setting the tables and chairs out, setting lots up for viewing, arranging security, admin for bidders, handling the lots and getting payment, dealing with unsold lots etc. I was also impressed with Miike Barker's brisk auctioneering skills, which helped move things along at a pace.

All by unpaid volunteers of course, many - if not most - of whom will have been at the Dulwich Garden Party the day before, and will have had to travel up to Harpenden and get things underway. Quite an exhausting experience, particularly for those involved at the centre of the events, rather than on the periphery.

I think Jeffrey has a point about e-bay syphoning off the more covetable items.

Although in any auction, the person who 'wins' the item is the one who is prepared to pay the highest price for that item on that day, at that location, clearly there are more bidders over a longer time span on e-bay than in an auction hall.

That said, had I been able to stay for the whole Auction, there were several sets lots that would have tempted me, and I'm among those who have never bought or sold a set on e-bay and am never likely to. I don't even bother to look - NVCF is fine for me.

Personally, I went for the auction and I don't think that talks or demonstrations would have made me more likely to attend, or the lack of talks/demos less likely to attend. More small traders and a bigger bring and buy would, for me, make such events more inviting, but that of course depends on whether there's anything in it for them. They could easily make a loss when the cost of a table and travelling is taken into account.

There were a few trade tables and I did find some useful bits.

(There did used to be two NVCFs each year, but as with Harpy, these events take an inordinate amount of organising, as well as being a significant financial risk. Same faces every time).

Just my own impressions.

David.
Old 24th Nov 2010, 5:50 pm   #5
Paul Stenning
Administrator

In the latest bulletin Mike has given the reasons for the reduction to two Harpenden events each year, in his From The Chair section. It would be best if BVWS members read this before commenting so that they are fully informed.

Basically it is down to the amount of work involved (much of which inevitably is done by the same few people as Wootton Bassett, NVCF and everything else) together with the financial viability and risk of the events.

Paul Stenning
Old 24th Nov 2010, 5:58 pm   #6
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David G4EBT View Post
More small traders and a bigger bring and buy would, for me, make such events more inviting, but that of course depends on whether there's anything in it for them.
Speaking as the person who organises the Bring & Buy (with lots of help from other volunteers) we are entirely at the mercy of what people bring. Likewise only those that want to book stalls will actually do so. Some of the stalls are booked by traders, others by members who have a pile of stuff to sell. I have no idea of the fraction in each category.

In his "From the Chair" Mike has assumed there will be talks at both 2011 Harpendens. I wonder if he knows any potential speakers because I have nothing lined up yet. Certainly it will be feasible to have talks at both meetings. The old AGM/auction arrangment in June didn't allow for a talk.
Old 24th Nov 2010, 6:03 pm   #7
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Also stallholders are charged for their stalls whereas the bring-and-buy space isn't, so if more space was given over to the bring-and-buy then there would be less stallholders and we'd have to charge those more to recoup the same money. And if the stalls were more expensive then individuals would be less likely to take them.

Paul Stenning
Old 24th Nov 2010, 6:12 pm   #8
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

I was really talking about Harpenden where there isn't any pressure on space. I could have as much as I like for B&B without impacting paid stalls. NVCF is different, AFAIK all the space is fully booked so the B&B is using space that could otherwise be earning money.
Old 26th Nov 2010, 2:25 pm   #9
yestertech
Nonode

Interesting thread
I have to concur with Jeffrey's point about value add.

How about re-instating the "radio surgery" with on the spot repairs ? I would happily take this on as it would bring some of the subject matter "alive"
As for talks, could we get some restoration tips from a professional, ie a French polisher.
And what about all the "old hands" who must still exist out there. The gent who used to work for Mullards, or some of the forum members and contributors who have direct experience of working for some of the long-gone brands.
There must be a wealth of talent and information out there waiting to be tapped ?

On the subject of the great and good who make all the events happen, do they get reimbursed for their travel and other reasonable expenses etc. If not, I'm sure that no one in the membership would object and this may widen the pool of available helpers. Petrol /Diesel and eating out are certainly not cheap if self-funded ....

Andy
Old 26th Nov 2010, 2:36 pm   #10
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Andy, while you look nothing like Gerry I'm you'd do a first rate job as "the radio doctor". Maybe you could get lessons from Steve Pendlebury in the arts of "Bodgit & Scarper"

All speakers at Harpenden are offered reasonable expenses. In a couple of cases where they have come a long distance I have put them up overnight at Borinsky Towers. A few years ago Paul Marshall brought one of historic OB trucks to Harpenden. This is not a cheap exercise and we agreed a suitable payment. IMHO this was money very well spent for the amount of interest it generated.
Closed Thread