UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 4th Oct 2008, 1:24 pm   #1
Top Cap
Octode

Default Marconi T11DA Capacitor Dropper

I was asked to get going a Marconi T11DA that arrived complete with rotten and crumbling line dropper cord .
It was the first time I have came up against one of these since I was an apprentice all those many years ago when it was a simple task of going to the store room for either .15 or .3 dropper cord and cutting off the correct length. Those days of course have now gone and I have yet to find any line cord for sale on the internet, so I looked up the T11DA on the Forum and found this excellent thread :-
https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ighlight=t11da
So I set about converting the radio to capacitor dropper and mounted the required components on a similar piece of tag board as shown in the photo of that thread provided by Barrie. My interpretation is shown in the attached line sketch.
Two holes were drilled into the chassis to place the tag board just to the left of an existing hole which I fitted with a suitable grommet.
I must confess to being very apprehensive at switch on and glad I had a Variac, just in case. At 230V I was rewarded with excellent reception, in fact one of the best performing radios on medium wave here in my tower block, stations all over the dial instead of just the usual three. Perhaps it is the frame aerial, all my other radios use ferrite rods.
The 117V heater rail was slightly high by a couple of volts which I reckoned would be all right, evened out over the chain of five valves.
So my first capacitor dropper installation had been done and I was rather impressed with the way it all worked. The attached photo shows the final view after a safety cover had been fitted using threaded pillars to secure both the board and cover to the chassis, finally being topped off with two nylon screws. I just hope this thread encourages others to have a go when a similar problem arises with them.
Les
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	marconi radio tag strip.JPG
Views:	221
Size:	11.9 KB
ID:	20329   Click image for larger version

Name:	Marconi mod.JPG
Views:	236
Size:	122.6 KB
ID:	20330  
Old 4th Oct 2008, 8:49 pm   #2
Sideband
Dekatron

Default Re: Marconi T11DA Capacitor Dropper

Nothing wrong with a capacitor dropper...the idea is by no means new (as anyone who remembers a certain Thorn black and white chassis will know).

Some people are uneasy about what will happen if the capacitor(s) go short. I think this is very unlikely if you use good capacitors rated for mains voltage and motor-start types will be if you need larger values. Then fit parallel X2 types to adjust the value for the exact voltage.

Good work and very neat.

Rich.
Old 5th Oct 2008, 6:08 pm   #3
julie_m
Dekatron

Default Re: Marconi T11DA Capacitor Dropper

The thermostat / ignition controller boards fitted to modern gas boilers often use capacitive voltage droppers, as (1) they don't consume much power anyway and (2) flame detection requires a common connection with mains earth or neutral. If you use the neutral as common, then you get an added benefit of polarity-sensitive operation.

What they do there to mitigate the risk of short-circuit capacitor failure is to fit a metal-film resistor in series with the capacitor. If the capacitor ever fails short-circuit, the resistor promptly fails open-circuit.