UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 11th Jan 2019, 12:03 am   #1
Stuart R
Heptode

Default 'Bygones' special on the history of HMV.

I stumbled across this video today. A special edition of Anglia TV's "Bygones" programme from the 1980s. Features a few shots of early record and radiogram production, a scary looking auto-changer and some restoration of archive recordings. No editing software here!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CsIZed38Go

It's just the first 25 minutes for HMV, but the other films are also interesting.

Make yourself a cup of tea and enjoy.

SR
Old 11th Jan 2019, 8:59 am   #2
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Default Re: 'Bygones' special on the history of HMV.

Wondeful, thanks Stuart!
Old 11th Jan 2019, 9:35 am   #3
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Loved the traditional click-removal technique for reissued 78s; impressive scissor accuracy.

Nick.
Old 11th Jan 2019, 10:25 am   #4
Duke_Nukem
Octode

What an excellent and informative program, thanks for the sharing the link.

TTFN,
Jon
Old 11th Jan 2019, 12:31 pm   #5
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

That is superb,many thanks for finding it.

I will put an offer in for the Scott gramophone!
Old 11th Jan 2019, 2:46 pm   #6
John10b
Nonode

What a wonderful find, thank you Stuart
Cheers
John
Old 11th Jan 2019, 4:10 pm   #7
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

Thank you Stuart, That HMV automatic record changer is great, or not. Its around 15 minutes in. I wonder if it has a built in waste bin?

John.
Old 13th Jan 2019, 10:41 pm   #8
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickthedentist View Post
Loved the traditional click-removal technique for reissued 78s; impressive scissor accuracy.

Nick.
Thank heavens we don't have to do it that way any more - if you look at the film you will see four splices go past in a second at one point. The length of excised material is about 4mm per click - that's about 1% of a second at 15 ips, or a 4% shift in tempo. Add to that the propensity for some sounds to "bump" over the edit and my nostalgia has faded to zero.

John RT Davies developed a system of blanking clicks by scraping oxide off the tape at exactly the peak of the click, and taught it to me. It worked well, although it could be laborious, but its cardinal virtue was that it left the timebase unchanged.

When I went over to digital editing, I was forced to return to cut-and-shut techniques initially, but these could be made much less invasive by the ability to both see the click and match the waveform so that the edit did not bump - this meant that less material was lost. Eventually, CEDAR manual declick and dethump enabled disturbances to be removed so well that there is no sign of their having been there in the first place, and without losing wanted material.
Old 13th Jan 2019, 11:00 pm   #9
julie_m
Dekatron

I remember using an Amiga with a primitive voice sampler and a machine code monitor (basically a memory editor) to try to clean up a noisy recording. It was a bit laborious, having to find the right place in memory and manually enter the hex codes for the new sample values, then adjust the screen to force a redraw; and limitations of RAM (all the samples, the sampler software and the memory editor had to squeeze into the machine's memory) and lack of a hard disk drive prevented me from doing a complete side of a 78 in one go.

But at least it proved the concept in my mind: working at the individual sample level, scratches could be edited out. Nowadays, Audacity already lets you redraw the waveform manually without resorting to external hackery. But it can also do it all for you :/
Old 20th Jan 2019, 3:59 am   #10
davyrocket2
Pentode

what a fascinating collection.I do hope that there is more waiting to be discovered.
Closed Thread