UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Websites

Notices

Websites Found an interesting website? Post the details here and share it with the rest of us. Please stick to websites that are in some way related to our hobby/interest.

Closed Thread

Old 29th May 2015, 4:20 pm   #1
neutronic
Pentode

Default German-English technical dictionary:

Lot of people are collecting and repairing those large German sets of the fifties and sixties.
Thus in need of reading the original service documentation.
Because by using the Google translation you don´t always get the correct technical answers.
And there are probably only few other sources for old German radio terminology.
Maybe this site can help.:
http://www.welt-der-alten-radios.de/...eutsch-27.html

Jard N.
Old 29th May 2015, 5:02 pm   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: German-English technical dictionary:

Very useful link, thankyou.
Old 29th May 2015, 6:37 pm   #3
emeritus
Dekatron

I have the German-English-(and French) volume of a technical dictionary (second edition, 1955) that is roughly contemporaneous with that era. If you are having problems with any words, PM me and I will see if they are listed.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf tech dict. t....pdf (92.1 KB, 241 views)
Old 30th May 2015, 8:52 am   #4
lesmw0sec
Octode

Normally, German-English translations work very well, but I well recall an English version of a Siemens data book where an analogue IC was available in three types: "Medium", "Fast" and "Damned Fast"!

Well - it was correct!
Old 30th May 2015, 8:37 pm   #5
Herald1360
Dekatron

My favourite work related one is a part description which went to Germany as a "choke assembly" ( it was two large inductors in a frame) and came back as a "throttle valve assembly". Methinks some confusion with automotive parts had occurred.

That also involved Siemens.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 31st May 2015, 5:26 pm   #6
mole42uk
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by neutronic View Post
A superbly useful link, thank you.
I am translating the service manual for a UNIGOR 3n multimeter at the moment, and your link will be very useful. My partner speaks German, but some technical terms cause her a bit of head-scratching.

Index:
recursive loop: see recursive loop
Old 31st May 2015, 9:16 pm   #7
emeritus
Dekatron

It can take some years for technical expressions used in innovative technologies to appear in the technical dictionaries. I remember circa 1980 that we were puzzled to find English abstracts of German documents referring to circuits as "Blocking Oscillators" when they were clearly outputting DC. The circuits proved to be Flyback Converters, "Sperrwandler" in the German original, the circuits being of the type where current is first made to flow in an inductor and is then turned off, the conversion taking place after the supply current has been interrupted. We had to ask a technical contact in Germany to find this out. The contemporary professional translators had evidently done their best: "Sperr" can mean "block" in the sense of turning off, while possible meanings of "Wandler" include oscillator, transformer and converter. They had probably heard of blocking oscillators, but were insufficiently familiar with circuitry to realise that the circuits in question were not of that type.

In the early 1970's I do recall seeing devices in the product line of a US company's high-performance comparators being described as "Fast" and Damn Fast", so the Germans were probably just following American terminology
Old 2nd Jun 2015, 8:04 pm   #8
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

The Germans also have a literal-constructionalist approach to naming animals: http://www.babbel.com/magazine/funny...ames-in-german

You can usually work out a translation if you deconstruct the individual components of a composite word: "Netzteil" being "power supply", "Zwischenfrequenz" is intermediate-frequency, "Endstufe" being "[final|output] stage", "Abstimmung" being tuning, and anything with "kraft-" in it invariably meaning 'power' in the sense of power-output rather than power-supply.

"Verstärker" is always found compounded too, as in Zwischenfrequenz- or Niederfrequenz-Verstärker [IF- or AF-amplifier].

Last edited by G6Tanuki; 2nd Jun 2015 at 8:17 pm.
Closed Thread