UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Websites

Notices

Websites Found an interesting website? Post the details here and share it with the rest of us. Please stick to websites that are in some way related to our hobby/interest.

Closed Thread

Old 29th Jan 2015, 2:32 pm   #1
greenstar
Octode

Default Pre WWI Wireless magazines

Have just stumbled upon this site:

http://www.jumpjet.info/Pioneering-W...urnals.htm#top

A lot of interesting material, Electrician & Wiress magazine, Popular Electricity, etc etc.

Tony
Old 29th Jan 2015, 6:12 pm   #2
greenstar
Octode

Default Re: Pre WWI Wireless magazines

Have been browsing these, and unfortunately find some of the graphics do not seem to have scanned. I don't think this is my software not picking up layers - but I am interested to know if other people don't find this in case there's something i can do about it.
Even so, there is some fantastic material here.

Last edited by greenstar; 29th Jan 2015 at 6:23 pm.
Old 29th Jan 2015, 6:32 pm   #3
colly0410
Pentode

Thanks for the link, it's now in my favs..
Old 29th Jan 2015, 7:55 pm   #4
Nuvistor
Dekatron

I have just tried one or two files without a problem, which ones are you having problems with?
Old 29th Jan 2015, 8:49 pm   #5
greenstar
Octode

Line drawings seem fine, but all photos and some graphics ... every mag and book I have looked at there. For example, Electrician &Mechanic jan 1912, p24 (pdf page 34) the figure is just blank. Pages 25 and 26 all figs are blank. In the book, 'Letters of a radio operator to his son', all the photos from the frontispiece onwards are blank. Be good to nail this - could maybe be my reader. I use Ubuntu, which can be eccentric.
Old 29th Jan 2015, 9:52 pm   #6
Alan Stepney
Rest in Peace

Model Engineer magazine (or Model Enginner and practical electrician as it was once called) had numerous articles about wireless and electricity in its early issues.
From 1898 to around the middle of WW1, there was rarely an issue without mention of those subjects.
Old 29th Jan 2015, 10:03 pm   #7
Nuvistor
Dekatron

On page 24 ( document page number) there is a photo of some form of "Screw" to move water or air, not sure. Page 25 and 26 have photos of railway rolling stock, railway cars and locomotives.
Viewing the same pages in a pdf viewer(34,35,36) work correctly also.
Are these the pages you are referring to?
Frank
Old 29th Jan 2015, 11:03 pm   #8
greenstar
Octode

Hi Frank, yes, they must be, the articles seem to tally. Interesting. Whether I open in Document Viewer or The Gimp (image or layer), these images are not shown.
But YES! I have installed Adobe, and the images are shown. Great to have this fixed - thanks Frank, I always assumed it was crappy scanning. That's great, it applies also to the Wireless Age 'teens mags on the American radio History site.
Old 29th Jan 2015, 11:10 pm   #9
Nuvistor
Dekatron

It's a long time since I used Linux, I enjoyed using it for about 10 years and then found video editing was not that good with it so I got a Mac.
I was using an iPad to look at those pages, both with the web browser and iBooks for the pdf. I have not tried it on the laptop.
You have it fixed now which is good.
Frank
Closed Thread