UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Clubs, Groups and Societies

Notices

Clubs, Groups and Societies For discussions about various clubs, groups and societies relating to our hobbies, such as the BVWS (incl RetroTechUK), BATC, RSGB, APTS, CLPGS, THG, TCC, BECG, MCR21 etc. This is NOT an official forum for any of these organisations.

Closed Thread

Old 18th Nov 2010, 5:22 pm   #21
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Default Re: BVWS North West Swap Meet

Quote:
Originally Posted by M0FYA Andy View Post
Mike,
Don't forget the Relay Tester for me!
Andy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_Dinning View Post
And the wattmeter as well please Mike.
Best regards, Ed
Sorry, folks, both added. They are all in the same part of the loft so they wouldn't have been missed.
Old 20th Nov 2010, 6:38 pm   #22
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Apart from bringing some bits and bobs for the bring & buy, I don't think I've agreed to bring anything to Golborne (WB is a different matter). If this is incorrect, I realise that I've not left much opportunity for people to remind me - as I won't have time to check tomorrow morning before setting off.

I believe, however, that I am collecting some valves to pass on at WB.
Old 20th Nov 2010, 6:44 pm   #23
Mark the Mender
Retired Dormant Member

Just put the valves in the car Dave, along with some EP rom and circuit for you!

there is also a modulation meter, no idea who this is for though!

cheers Mark
Old 20th Nov 2010, 8:13 pm   #24
stevekendal
Heptode

Me going with smaller car less gear to sell, but hopefully better selected. Steve.
Old 21st Nov 2010, 5:21 pm   #25
stevekendal
Heptode

Another great do Mark, thankyou very much How come even when I sell plenty I still take carful back Steve.
Old 21st Nov 2010, 5:45 pm   #26
Dave Moll
Dekatron

I will add my thanks to all for an enjoyable day.

The Bring & Buy raised just under £50. Thanks to all who brought and/or bought.

I also now have a box of valves and a metal box (which I haven't opened!) for collection at Wootton Bassett in two weeks' time, along with some "luminescent panels" for collection locally.
Old 21st Nov 2010, 7:02 pm   #27
Mark the Mender
Retired Dormant Member

I must say a big thanks to table holders and visitors for yet another grand day out!

cheers Mark
Old 21st Nov 2010, 8:44 pm   #28
John M0GLN
Octode

Another excellent day, many thanks to all concerned with the organizing of it.

John
Old 21st Nov 2010, 9:17 pm   #29
M0FYA Andy
Nonode

Can I add my thanks to the organisers. A very enjoyable (if wallet-lightening!) day out.

Andy
Old 21st Nov 2010, 10:18 pm   #30
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Another thanks for a good day out, a very suitable replacement venue.

Ed
Old 22nd Nov 2010, 8:36 am   #31
M0FYA Andy
Nonode

I agree with Ed about the venue, with one exception - the lighting. I found the light level to be far too dim and gloomy. Otherwise very suitable.

Andy
Old 22nd Nov 2010, 5:36 pm   #32
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

It was indeed a great day and a good venue. Put a few more names to faces as well as meeting friends I knew. Well done, Mark and staff!

I was a bit concerned when I got there and saw some muddy folk booting a bag of wind around a field, but my concerns vanished when I asked one of the said folk (the shame of it!) and asked where the radio meet was.

Some interesting things on display - the inevitable TV22 with a superb picture and quite a few twenties radios on one stall.

Pity I had no room in the house for Mikeymush's FOC B&O 20", but you have to draw the line somewhere.
Old 22nd Nov 2010, 6:48 pm   #33
Retired
Heptode

Many thanks to the organisers of this meeting; it was well attended and I ended up spending over £40 making the trip out well worth it.

This was my first ever radio meeting and I wonder if others felt as I did. Mike mentions having to ask if this was where the radio meeting was being held? I thought is was some kind of secret as there wasn't a sign in sight; eventually after taking a few wrong turns I drove into the car park; the area directly in front of the building was already full with vehicles so I parked in the larger section of the car park.

As I got out of my car a guy was passing and said boy this has taken a bit of finding and we saw others entering the building so followed them in. I expected having to wait until the doors opened at 9.30 but it had only just gone 9.00?

There was no one on the door and I thought there was to be admittance charge? This charge was unknown to me. I wondered around inspecting items of interest and I had taken the trouble to attach a label to my leather jacket stating "Col Retired". The hall reminded me of my time working underground due to the low light level already mentioned by Andy. I spotted a "woody" and had a good look at it then carried on walking around only to keep returning to this woody which was crying out to me for me to take it home and give it some TLC so I didn't even haggle but handed over the £20 asking price before loading it into the car. Again I strolled through the door and bought more items.

I then noticed a table with a very pleasant lady seated at it to the rear of the hall and at first thought it to be some kind of raffle or charity before wandering over and enquiring if there was an admission fee being applied to this meeting as I had been allowed with others to stroll in unchallenged through the front door; I was happy to pay the £3 and this can be checked against my name; Colin Wood but I wonder how much money has actually been lost because of this.

There was no sign on the entrance gate and certainly no sign on the door or in the car park advising members where to go; by the time I departed I had found the main entrance around the side of the building surrounded by foul mouthed football spectators blocking this entrance making it very difficult for one guy trying to carry a large object into the building.

Please do not regard this as a complaint in any way as it is not intended as such as I did enjoy the meeting but may I politely suggest for future meetings to display prominent BVWS signs on the gate to the car park and to the front door stating BVWS meeting entrance; would it be better to ignore the side entrance making the front doors the main entrance to the meeting and controlling admittance ensuring no one was allowed access without firstly paying the £3 fee.

When I arrived home and put the Mullard Type MA 3 on my bench under the strip light I was alarmed to see the front panel full of worm holes; normally I would run a mile before touching a set full of worm but now I've bought it I hope to fully restore it and at £20 I got something that will eventually give me many hours of tinkering around.

It's possible the organizers are losing out money wise which is a shame as these meetings must take a lot of time to put together; I hope to support future meetings and have not been put off from attending.

Kindest regards, Col.
Old 22nd Nov 2010, 8:50 pm   #34
telstar
Octode

Hi. Just a few lines to say that I enjoyed my day out at Golborne radio event. I only bought a few items, as most of the actual radios that I saw I either had, or I could not afford.
I agree with Colin about the lack of signage for the event, and I did not know where the main entrance was. Just like Colin, I found the football spectators got in the way, and I could have done without the annoying youngsters/teenagers that where running around outside the entrance of the building whilst I was waiting for my taxi to take me back to Newton le Willows railway station.
Having said that, I would hope to visit the event next time. I enjoy seeing the old tv programmes from the 1950's/early 1960's era (as shown on the old tvs at the event). It brings back memories of the time when my father was a tv and radio engineer, and we used to watch them.
Regards
Mike
Old 23rd Nov 2010, 12:33 am   #35
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

Actually I thought it was a pretty good venue chaps!. Don't be put off by a couple of initial glitches. I'd assumed that it wasn't due to start till 10-30 anyway and lots of preparations do have to be made [especially at a new venue]. My brother googled off the directions which took us straight there and it was clear [from the web] that it is a location for the pursuit of Rugby Footbal [so easier to spot on that basis] and very close to the old venue as well. The lighting was a bit dim but that could be easily rectified perhaps, like the lack of signage. The big round tables seemed to be surprisingly effective in helping to display more "stuff". Didn't buy a lot but enjoyed the event overall. Seemed to be quite a number of people there as well. Worth pursuing for the future and a really good Vintage TV Display as usual-excellent. Thanks to all the organisers/contributors eg Dave M and Steve P, not forgetting the essential Dylis on the door! Perhaps the now established policy on non BVWS being welcome to attend needs to be more widely disemminated. Dave W
Old 23rd Nov 2010, 11:57 am   #36
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

I suppose that any signs erected would be down to the owners of the place allowing it; Mark would confirm that.

Don't think any money would be lost as if anyone takes the trouble to get there, they wouldn't just go home; don't forget that members come from far and wide.

Mark, do you know if there's an increase in numbers/sales year on year?

Dave W - didn't spot you!
Old 30th Nov 2010, 2:30 pm   #37
Mark the Mender
Retired Dormant Member

Gents
to answer some of the queries raised........

In actual fact the 21st Nov 2010 was the second best attended event for folks through the door! Stall holders were more than the previous event.
If anything I am more than happy with the venue and attendance, the lighting is superior to the previous venue, the hall is bigger and there is more scope. What we have to do is accept is this is a local community establishment where other events are held, like rugby league. We are sharing an excellent venue with locals, I feel there should be some give and take.
In all fairness the venue shared the catering facilities, as the rugby matches were rearranged at short notice.
I know signage is sparse, but it was the same as the previous venue! I know I live in the area. Mike Barker has offered the use of the BVWS banner for next time.

Unfortunately the doors used by table holders cannot be used as general entry as we would not be complying with fire regulations, nor would the venue.

This event for you takes a lot of personal investment and time, I ask no thanks or reward.
I noted several folks coming in through table holders entry prior to opening time, yet there was a queue at the main door!
The event is publicized as a BVWS members only event to comply with insurance legislation. As there is the opportunity to sign in and join the BVWS on the day.

regards Mark
Old 30th Nov 2010, 6:33 pm   #38
Retired
Heptode

Hi Mark,

Many thanks for this information and I would like to congratulate you on a fine meeting; it is easy to take for granted the amount of time and effort such a meeting demands and I for one very much appreciate yours and your helpers devotion.

As a complete stranger not only to the area but also to a radio meeting I simply followed others in through the front doors totally unaware there was actually a queue to the main entrance at the side of the building and for this I wish to apologise as such action is totally unfair to members abiding by the rules.

I hope to support future meetings and am happy to hear this meeting was such a success; thank's to everyone involved.

Kind regards, Col.
Old 30th Nov 2010, 6:41 pm   #39
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Probably all that is needed is a sign on the door saying "stallholders only" while it is open.