UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 31st Oct 2008, 10:29 pm   #1
mark pirate
Dekatron

Thumbs up Bush TR156 lives again!

Hi all, Just finished another restoration, as found, this set was just about working, albeit with very quiet distorted audio, at first I suspected the output stage, however on removing the chassis I was greeted by three AF117 transistors.

Sure enough, tapping them with a screwdriver caused the set to die completely, as luck would have it I had two good replacements which I soon had fitted, so as a temporary measure I cut the screen lead on the third.

Then the set was stable but still way to quiet, after another tapping session the set suddenly blared out at full volume! I traced the problem to yet another transistor, this time it was an AC128, on replacing this the set was now working perfectly.

Cosmetically, this set was not too bad, just a bid dusty and a bit grubby, the scale had those BBC stickers on it, these as usual were hard to remove, but after removal I polished the scale with T-cut and it came up as new.

I am now pleased with this set, one of the less common models of the 60's
It has a lovely deep tone and the bandspread works very well indeed
How long my 'repaired' AF117 will last is anyones guess .

Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	156before.JPG
Views:	216
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	20979   Click image for larger version

Name:	156before1.JPG
Views:	197
Size:	113.7 KB
ID:	20980   Click image for larger version

Name:	156 after.JPG
Views:	195
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	20981   Click image for larger version

Name:	156after1.JPG
Views:	217
Size:	111.3 KB
ID:	20982  

Last edited by Darren-UK; 1st Nov 2008 at 10:39 am. Reason: FSK problem fixed.
Old 31st Oct 2008, 10:32 pm   #2
Tazman1966
Nonode

Default Re: Bush tr156 lives again!

Nice looking radio. I like the style of typeface on the scale. Well done Mark.
Old 31st Oct 2008, 10:35 pm   #3
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Never seen one of those before, but I do like the look of it.

Your transformations are really impressive. Can I send you some of mine to do? (only joking)

Nick.
Old 31st Oct 2008, 11:25 pm   #4
maitiustandun
Pentode

Hi Mark, A Truly Lovely Little Set, Ive Restored A Dead Tr130,with The Same Dreaded Af 117s Fitted, Got Three Af127 's From Radionics And Replaced The Rubber Mountings On The Tuning Condenser , Its Blazing Away Now, And Has Caroline On Its Dial ,[nostalga] Regards Maitiu.
Old 1st Nov 2008, 9:13 am   #5
howard
Nonode

Well done Mark,

These are nice sets.

When I first saw one I thought it was a TR132 with the wrong knob on it as the cases are almost identical. The TR132 was around in 1965 and has "Caroline" on its dial, this model is post September 1967 as it has BBC1-BBC4 stations on its dial.

Howard
Closed Thread