UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Oct 2008, 6:38 pm   #1
g4aaw pete
Heptode

Default Resin polish on Eddystone dial.

I couldn’t find any threads relating to this, but apologies if it’s been covered before. I’m in the process of breathing life into an Eddystone 680X. One of its problems was a very ‘scuffed’ logging scale. This is the circular dial seen at the top, centre of most Eddystone slide-rule style receiver tuning dials. The damage had been caused by a well-meaning former owner trying to ‘adjust’ said logging scale because it was slipping. The result being that it made contact with the back of the tuning dial and was damaged when rotated.

Having stripped the whole mechanism down, I surveyed the damage to the scale and was sure it was a write off. I would have to either re-paint and re-scale it, or look for a replacement.

As the logging dial detail looked fairly robust, I decided to try some Autoglym Resin polish, because a kind family member had bought me some as a present last year. I’m not known for cleaning any vehicle on my drive, but the thought was there.

Firstly, I tried wiping a small area of the dial with a cotton bud and polish. The area looked good, so I polished the rest of the dial with pieces of cotton wool and Autoglym. The result is seen attached. I’m astonished that it has responded so well. Unfortunately, I didn’t think to scan the dial in its damaged state, but the shaded area of the much enlarged ‘before’ photo might give some indication of it. Take it from me, it was well b…….d.

Regards to all
Pete
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	log scale scuff title.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	20807   Click image for larger version

Name:	log scale scuff cleaned title.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	20808  
Old 23rd Oct 2008, 7:20 pm   #2
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Default Re: Resin polish on Eddystone dial.

That's impressive!

What exactly is the "Resin Polish" originally designed for?

I had amazing results using Halfords rubbing compound on an old BSR autochanger. It looked rusty and utterly hopeless, but came up almost as new

Nick.
Old 23rd Oct 2008, 7:35 pm   #3
g4aaw pete
Heptode

Default Re: Resin polish on Eddystone dial.

Hi Nick.
‘Tis merely a car polish, but at £15 a litre from Halfords, it’s rather expensive. There’s no ingredients list on the bottle, apart from a cautionary note about petroleum distillate being contained. It certainly worked on the dial !

Regards
Pete
Closed Thread