UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 7th Oct 2008, 10:28 pm   #1
howard
Nonode

Default 1960 Roberts R200 MW/LW 6 transistor portable

Hello again,

I've been working on several valve sets recently but I couldn't resist overhauling this pretty little blue Roberts R200. There were several Roberts transistor sets in the Cowbit auction but it was the likes of R800s, R606MBs, Ramblers etc which people were bidding on and three older R200s all went for under £10 and I won this one towards the end of the auction for just £5. It was missing all three brass knob trims but was otherwise mint externally, and inside, apart from a very tiny spot of corrosion on the battery tray, was perfect.

It was sold as working and indeed it did, even the volume pot was quiet in operation. The waveband switch was a bit noisy so I cleaned that with some Servisol 10. I pinched three complete knobs from a tatty R300, polished up the trims by spinning the knobs in a drill chuck while holding a rag with a little Brasso on it against them, and then varnished them with Rustins cellulose metal lacquer. I gave the case and handle a gentle clean with upholstery cleaner and touched in a tiny orange speck on the silver badge with a spot of chrome paint.

This early 1960 set s/n 14322 has OC45s fitted and needed nothing doing to its chassis, it works perfectly and picks up everything loud and clear on both MW and LW. Its case is absolutely mint too and at last I have an example of an R200 without those horrid AF117s in it !

Howard
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Roberts_R200_early_blue_front 001.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	20399   Click image for larger version

Name:	Roberts_R200_early_blue_inside 001.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	20400  
Old 8th Oct 2008, 8:26 am   #2
John12868
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: 1960 Roberts R200 MW/LW 6 transistor portable

Funny you should mention the "horrid AF117's" Howard, I have several R200's & 300's as well as an R500 all with AF117 transistors which have given me no trouble. I'm of the opinion (at the moment anyway) of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". I also have an R200 with the earlier OC series transistors, which although working, is a little quiet on mediumwave. I've cosmetically restored a couple of these sets and am waiting to replace handles/badges before posting here.

Nice restoration by the way. I haven't got a blue R200 (yet!!)
Old 8th Oct 2008, 2:54 pm   #3
geofy
Retired Dormant Member

Thumbs up Re: 1960 Roberts R200 MW/LW 6 transistor portable

Nice find Howard, just like my blue one, though my one has the AF11* transistors, one of which I had to change but I have left the others. The OC types need extra feedback components which is one advantage of the later transistors.

Made me cringe a bit thinking of a rag being used near a drill chuck My apprentice instructors would have had a fit over this

The battery holder can go a bit powdery, a squirt of WD40 can help prevent this, along with some on the frame of the speaker.

Geof
Old 9th Oct 2008, 9:57 am   #4
howard
Nonode

Default Re: 1960 Roberts R200 MW/LW 6 transistor portable

Quote:
Originally Posted by John12868 View Post
Funny you should mention the "horrid AF117's" Howard, I have several R200's & 300's as well as an R500 all with AF117 transistors which have given me no trouble............
Hello John,

I have several R200/R300/R500 sets and this is the first of them which didn't need transistors replacing - needless to say they all had AF117s. The PCB track in these Roberts sets tend to lift easily too so they're not easy to repair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geofy View Post
....Made me cringe a bit thinking of a rag being used near a drill chuck My apprentice instructors would have had a fit over this ...... Geof
Hello Geof,

In fact I used paper towel and my drill is variable speed and I had it spinning at around 100 rpm so I don't think I'd come to much harm.

Howard
Old 9th Oct 2008, 10:48 am   #5
geofy
Retired Dormant Member

Post Re: 1960 Roberts R200 MW/LW 6 transistor portable

That sounds safer Howard, and the end result makes them look brand new

Geof
Closed Thread