UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Feb 2019, 2:19 pm   #41
Fidelity Fan
Hexode

Default Re: Longevity

I found that when I did an HND in Electrical Engineering in the early 1990s, most of it was theory and of little practical value. The ONC that I did earlier was a lot more 'hands on' as was the City and Guilds 224. Most of my knowledge in the repir of TV and Video equipment was self taught through experience and service guidance articles in 'TELEVISION' magazine.

A lot of the faults with modern TVs and other equipment are down to dried up electrolytics and dry solder joints, so old skills can still be used to repair these.

Another area that knowledge is being lost is the servicing of model trains, compounded by the regrettable closure of long standing model shops in many towns and cities.
Old 3rd Feb 2019, 3:24 pm   #42

Quote:
Another area that knowledge is being lost is the servicing of model trains
It's the lack of simple common practical skills that is more worrying.

Old 3rd Feb 2019, 3:32 pm   #43
AC/HL
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidelity Fan View Post
A lot of the faults with modern TVs and other equipment are down to dried up electrolytics and dry solder joints, so old skills can still be used to repair these.
A lot of the old common faults were designed out (eventually), we're largely left with component quality and life issues. The "old skills" still start with eyes and nose though, just as they always did.
Old 3rd Feb 2019, 3:50 pm   #44
TonyDuell
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinmaxwell View Post
I've met people who are amazed when they discover I can solder (that is normal, electrical soft soldering that all the regulars here do just about every day).

This next bit may be too far off-topic, but....

The powers that be keep on saying that 'people are not 'active' enough'. In my case they are probably right. But if I walk down any high street in London I will find at least one sports shop. Yes, you can wear trainers or sweatshirts or... when not doing serious exercise. But I can't think of a legitimate use for a cricket bat or football boots other than playing sport. Said shops stock such things, so presumably people buy them.

And yet in all of Greater London I know of _one_ shop that sells electronic components. I do not know of a good engineering tool shop. Or a place that sells metal stock in small quantities.

From which I conclude that 'people are not making enough'.

And that is a pity. My parents taught me that the greatest joy comes from having created something (it doesn't matter what it is). To be able to say 'I made that' (or 'I restored that'). Most people these days never get that joy.
Old 3rd Feb 2019, 9:08 pm   #45
emeritus
Dekatron

I guess it's a reflection on the downturn in manufacturing. I used to get my stuff from W L Cooke at Chadwell Heath. I had a chat with their staff during their closing down sale and they blamed the loss of business from the local engineering firms that used to do work for Fords and other large firms. They had cut back, putting the engineering firms out of business, and the high level of business rates were the final straw. On line seems to be the only source now. I can get small sheets ,tubes and angle in brass and aluminium from a local model train shop in Chelmsford ( the K&S metals range), but the last lot of large brass sheets I needed I got from RS.
Old 4th Feb 2019, 12:00 am   #46
Michael Maurice

Put it another way the higher cost of rent, business rates and staffing costs mean that London especially central and inner London is 'out of bounds' for most small retailers.

If the shop that Tony is referring to is what I'm thinking, I believe they own the freehold thus not paying rent, and make their main money from PA speakers and CCTV, without which the business would fold.

Now that we've got that out of the way, can we please veer back on topic.

http://www.michaelmauricerepairs.co.uk/
Old 4th Feb 2019, 1:08 am   #47
RojDW48
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDuell View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinmaxwell View Post

From which I conclude that 'people are not making enough'.

And that is a pity. My parents taught me that the greatest joy comes from having created something (it doesn't matter what it is). To be able to say 'I made that' (or 'I restored that'). Most people these days never get that joy.
Part of that is down to Education. I used to teach Design and Technology. The pride and joy in students when they completed designing and making something good was visible....and the benefits in terms of self esteem, inestimable. Lack of resources and, I am afraid to say, lack of knowledge of materials and processes on the part of teachers (which inhibits their confidence in what students might achieve) has led to rather paltry outcomes unlikely to fire up the enthusiasm of youngsters.