UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 15th Aug 2020, 12:15 pm   #1
telstar
Octode

Default Strad 553W

Hi During the lock down I started on one of my Strad radios to pass the time. It is a model 553W and quite an attractive radio. There was no sound to be heard and I thought that one of the series fed valves was o/c until I saw the dial bulbs lit. The fault turned out to be a leaky 0.005 coupling capacitor which had gone to a value nearly s/c on my insulation tester. I replaced it with a 0.0047 yellow capacitor which cured the fault and brought the sound back.
Thank goodness it was not a complex repair as all other caps had been replaced.
Cheers
Mike
Old 15th Aug 2020, 1:04 pm   #2
vinrads
Dekatron

Default Re: Strad 553W

Nice simple repair then , strange there being no sound I would have expected low and distorted , Is this the one with a Bakelite case , I think I had one . Mick.
Old 17th Aug 2020, 2:28 pm   #3
telstar
Octode

Default Re: Strad 553W

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinrads View Post
Nice simple repair then , strange there being no sound I would have expected low and distorted , Is this the one with a Bakelite case , I think I had one . Mick.
Hi Mick
Yes it was a nice simple job. The capacitor was coupled between the volume control wiper and the grid of the 1st audio amplifier. It was tubular and had colour coding. This radio was of the wood cabinet type. The long wave is the only band that does not work. I will try and get a better circuit for it as I was using the "Newnes" books.
Cheers
Mike
Closed Thread