UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 11th Aug 2018, 11:14 pm   #1
Michael Maurice

Default Can one spray rexine?

I am restoring a Bush SRP30 which has been stored in a loft for a few decades, the top which should be a light grey has gone yellow/brown.

I was thinking of spraying it with light grey plastikote www.plasti-Kote.co.uk

Has anyone ever done this? Is it likely to work?

http://www.michaelmauricerepairs.co.uk/
Old 12th Aug 2018, 8:32 am   #2
vidjoman
Dekatron

Default Re: Can one spray rexine?

I've recently tried spraying but it wasn't very successful. Looked blotchy. Best finish I got was to use a satin finish paint (not emulsion) 2 coats applied with a small roller.
Old 12th Aug 2018, 8:57 am   #3
dseymo1
Retired Dormant Member

I haven't tried it on Rexine, But Wilko 'Outdoors' paint seems to bond well to just about anything. I used it on some plastic bathroom tiles, following nothing but a wipe with thinners to degrease them, and it's still hanging in fine four years later despite the steam and soap.
Old 12th Aug 2018, 10:08 am   #4
Argus25
No Longer a Member

I have done this in the past but there are a couple of important considerations.

Firstly you can only get away with this if the rexine is bonded to the surface underneath. If there is a layer of latex or sponge under it , it leaves the surface too mobile and later with pressure the paint surface can crack.

The surface needs to be as clean and grease & wax free as possible, in the past somebody may have applied wax or polishing compounds. So clean the rexine thoroughly with contact cleaner (CO contact cleaner by Caig chemicals works well for degreasing in the absence of the wonderful but unobtainium Carbon tetra chloride). Some thinners by comparison are very aggressive.

Then the paint: I would not use anything other than the very fast setting fine spray automotive touch up spray lacquer that goes by the name Holts Dupli-color, in multiple colour types and small cans from the automotive suppliers like Repco or similar.

It sets very fast and unless it's grossly over applied, there is less time for the solvents to damage the surface too much and you can apply it in a couple of layers waiting about 10 min between coats. It will slightly etch into the surface though, but this helps it bond, but it's a one way process and once you commit to it, you will unlikely be able to clean it completely off once it's in the crevices. But hopefully there would be no need to.

I mentioned on another thread that this sort of paint is also very useful for restoring the surface of yellowed plastics (typically computer cases etc) to white using the color variant Arctic White.
Old 12th Aug 2018, 10:08 am   #5
Scimitar
Heptode

Vinylkote is what you need. Available in any colour including matched to a sample. It is designed for recolouring flexible plastics and becomes part of the material.
Old 12th Aug 2018, 10:16 am   #6
Station X

I've had success using Meltonian type shoe cream.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 12th Aug 2018, 10:22 am   #7
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Vinylkote sounds like the way to go, but I wouldn't spray either cellulose or acrylic gloss paint directly onto any surface without first using an acid etch primer, which promotes good adhesion to both the surface to be painted, and to the top coat. Two acid etch primers seem to find favour, namely, 'Autotek Pro' and U-Pol 'Acid8'. Of course, the costs soon start to mount up:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/1-X-Autotek...d=152435790444

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/U-pol-Aci...-/201487926803

No doubt whatever you choose, you'll want to try it on the underside of the SP30 to check if it gives the desired result, remembering - as always - that you can't put lipstick on a pig to make it look pretty.

Good luck with it Michael.
Old 12th Aug 2018, 10:29 am   #8
Station X

Why would you want to etch prime Rexine?

Old 12th Aug 2018, 10:41 am   #9
Argus25
No Longer a Member

I'm not sure if Vinylkoke is a similar product to Plasticoat. In the past I have had difficulties with products claiming to be suited to coating plastics. The ones I have tried the paint sticks to itself very well, but not to the surface underneath. So it tends to peel off in sheets. Perhaps this is why an etch primer has been suggested.

With the Holts product I suggested it will micro etch the surface (provided it's degreased) But I have not actually tried Vinylcoat and I agree with David's remark to try some on a test area. With the Holts you can spray it into a glass jar and apply it with a small brush to a test area, but it will be thicker and take longer to set than with a careful spray.
Old 12th Aug 2018, 12:07 pm   #10
Radio Wrangler

Getting it to adhere or bond is one thing, liking the result is another. If it turns out glossy, it could look rather nasty - like someone had given it a quick coat of domestic gloss paint. New rexine is probably the only good way out.

David
Old 12th Aug 2018, 3:13 pm   #11
vidjoman
Dekatron

Here are pictures of one I did about a month ago with a roller and B & Q Flame satin paint. Colour is slightly off because of fluorescent lighting.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1998s.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	167429Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2004s.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	167430Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2001s.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	154.8 KB
ID:	167431
Old 12th Aug 2018, 3:17 pm   #12
TimLiggins
Tetrode

Vinyl Dye, used for recolouring car upholstery.
Old 12th Aug 2018, 4:29 pm   #13
Radio Wrangler

That's OK. The satin paint is crucial, I think.

David
Old 12th Aug 2018, 5:44 pm   #14
music-centre
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimLiggins View Post
Vinyl Dye, used for recolouring car upholstery.
I recoloured a vinyl seat in a car some years ago when I couldn't locate the correct colour to match the rest of the interior and it was very successful, it was the drivers seat so got quite a bit of wear but didn't crack or anything.
I cant remember the manufacturer unfortunately but it was a product designed to do this.

Steve.
Old 12th Aug 2018, 10:45 pm   #15
nebogipfel
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scimitar View Post
Vinylkote is what you need. Available in any colour including matched to a sample. It is designed for recolouring flexible plastics and becomes part of the material.
Agreed. I have used it to change the colour of the seats in a Morris Minor. The seats were changed from red to blue and the result was a very authentic and durable finish. If you use the version designed for flexible vinyl it bonds to the actual material and will not scratch or rub off. I have also used black to refresh vinyl in cars with very good results.
Old 12th Aug 2018, 10:54 pm   #16
PJL
Dekatron

Good quality acrylic artist paint works well and should last a lifetime. I just rub it on with a damp cotton wool pad. 'Crimson' red is a good match for Roberts radios.
Old 13th Aug 2018, 10:01 am   #17
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Station X View Post
For the reason stated earlier - to promote good adhesion.

Clearly Rexine is a finished product not designed to be painted, so I don't think that paint without a primer, would adhere well, any more than it does to other substrates. If the maker's claims are to be believed, it has good flexibility too, but of course, the maker's don't claim that it's suitable to apply it to Rexine - that's just my considered opinion, but only if spray paint is to be used. If there is a product that's intended for such purposes - and it seems that there is, ('Vinylkote'), it seems to make sense to use that, which is why I prefaced my post with: 'Vinylkote sounds like the way to go'.

Aside from that - albeit not relevant to Rexine - I use Autotek acid etch primer or U-Pol 'Acid 8' on any bare surface before spraying a top coat. It's excellent as a primer on repaired Bakelite cabinets, and on aluminium, whether sheet or die-cast, prior to spraying, and it's not fussy what type of top coat is used.

Here are the maker's stated features:

• Adhesion to bare, galvanised and zinc coated steel
• Also suitable for applications to aluminium, fully cured paint finishes, GRP and most rigid plastics
• Suitable for acrylic , cellulose and 2-pack paints
• Highly flexible and designed to fill slight cracks and indentations

It's used as a primer by modelmakers, who - for example - build brass sheet railway carriages:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/ind...0-etch-primer/
Old 13th Aug 2018, 10:05 am   #18
Station X

Quote:
Originally Posted by David G4EBT View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Station X View Post
It's used as a primer by modelmakers, who - for example - build brass sheet railway carriages:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/ind...0-etch-primer/

I use it for something similar. It chemically dissolves the surface of the brass, which makes me wonder what effect it would have on Rexine.

Old 13th Aug 2018, 11:00 am   #19
Scimitar
Heptode

Etch primers were the product of choice, but have been largely superceded by epoxy primers. They are waterproof, inert, non isocyanate and will cling far better than etch primers or anthing else. I use Lechler 29107 for all priming duties now. It will not react with any top coat of your choice.
Old 13th Aug 2018, 12:54 pm   #20
poppydog
Banned

If anything you are using contains butanone and also remains elastic when cured, it should be ok. I have seen some cabinet/casings that have been repainted that seem to replicate the "tyre paint look" though

regards poppydog
Closed Thread