UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Jul 2020, 11:33 am   #21
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Default Re: NOS Valves. Getters not fired from new.

Mullard mucked about with the EY86 quite a lot. The best versions were the first from the late 50's/60's and the TY86F specially designed with a 7.5v heater for the Ferguson 306T.

I did encounter many very late versions where the bell anode was not sufficiently supported resulting in it going sideways during normal transport destroying the heater/cathode assembly. It put more trust in a pull than one of the late versions. I had endless problems with new ones straight out of the box.
It may have been down to more automated methods of construction.

To be fair every manufacturer has it's problem moment and Mullard/Philips had very few problems with multi million production numbers. It's just interesting to recall the situation encountered back then. John
Old 13th Jul 2020, 12:15 pm   #22
Maarten
Dekatron

They might have been imported? The production lines in the larger factories might have switched to the DY802 already. 1971 seems awfully late for a DY86/87. Does the factory code really start with a B? I'd be interested in both lines of small print.
Old 13th Jul 2020, 5:49 pm   #23
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Hello Maarten, I managed to crack two of them in the microwave. but they are late production Mullard in the mini boxes, made in Britain. John.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200713_174236.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	210901  
Old 13th Jul 2020, 5:58 pm   #24
Freya
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
I'm not sure of the value of firing getters now.
As an experiment earlier this year, i also tried the same induction method on the remaining Getter material in some Mazda CRT`s. there was some improvement in the beam current and the milky area did turn black again, this would obviously not improve a dim raster where the cathode has been exhausted or poisoned.
Closed Thread