UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Offered and Wanted Messages > Sets, Parts and Service Information Wanted (private buyers only, no swaps)

Notices

Sets, Parts and Service Information Wanted (private buyers only, no swaps) If you need help obtaining components, sets or equipment, post a message here. Private buyers only - no traders. No swaps.

Old 19th Sep 2021, 1:01 pm   #1
greenstar
Octode

Default Bose Wave remote

I was pleased to find a Bose Wave music system (one box) at the car boot this morning, 3, turned it on and found it working at low volume, but horrified to discover (not the first time I have done this) that it has no controls to speak of and therefore depends on a remote. I didn't think to look for one in the jumble of stuff the dealer had brought.
Fortunately the CD I had put in popped out when I turned it on again.
Have tried two universals, one seemingly duff, without success.
greenstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Sep 2021, 1:09 pm   #2
greenstar
Octode

Default Re: Bose Wave remote

Having said this I have found they are available on ebay. Some are 20 -40, some Chinese about a tenner. Does anyone have experience of these? Be interested to know before ordering. I so much wish modern things had knobs on.
Old 19th Sep 2021, 2:08 pm   #3
paulsherwin

Using a universal doesn't seem straightforward with these, but some people have managed to get them to work, at least up to a point. The code '409' seems to get mentioned a lot.
paulsherwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Sep 2021, 2:15 pm   #4
Lloyd 1985
Nonode

Wish I'd been at that car boot sale! If it's the Bose Wave II (AWRCC5) I'm sure I've seen remotes for those for 7.99 over on eBay, not tried them myself, as I don't need one, but I was looking for one of the earlier ones for an AWRC3G, as I got one of those too, but luckily that version has buttons on the top of the unit.

On another note, if you ever find that the CD player skips when powered on from cold, there are a couple of 22uf 6V caps under the shielding can at the front of the machine near an LM317, change them and it'll work fine again from cold! Good machines when they work!

attached a photo of the type of remote you need, make sure to get the correct one, the earlier one for the wave radio/CD will probably not work, certainly the newer remote doesn't work the older machines, I tried that already!

Regards,
Lloyd
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8593[1].jpg
Views:	41
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	241666  
Lloyd 1985 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Sep 2021, 2:21 pm   #5
greenstar
Octode

Hi, yes, thanks Lloyd and Paul, it's a rare thing when a dealer has not looked on ebay for the value! I found it at the bottom of a big chest, he hadn't bothered to unpack it, just dumped in. It is an AWRCC - 6. I tried not to look too excited when he asked for 5, and he dropped it to 3!
Old 23rd Sep 2021, 3:48 pm   #6
greenstar
Octode

Well, the remote arrived today and the Bose is playing now, and I was able to turn it up. All appears well. I am very pleased by the sound quality, it is surprisingly good. Never heard one before. It probably had a fairly near miss, as it had clearly not been treated very tenderly and has a few scratches - nobody would have appreciated how good a unit it is.
Tony
Old 23rd Sep 2021, 4:02 pm   #7
Lloyd 1985
Nonode

That’s good to hear! These ones are a little fragile, the bits that the screws go into on the top housing are only held by very thin plastic, all 5 were broken on mine, and it took some doing to get it glued securely enough to put the screws back in. They do sound good! I also have one of the earlier examples, the one where the CD goes in the top, and I was sceptical that it was even stereo when I opened that one up, as both speakers are different! The left side is mostly bass and the right is treble, but somehow it manages to produce a good stereo sound.. the newer units have 2 identical speakers, and if anything I think the earlier unit has a little more high frequency response.

Regards
Lloyd
Lloyd 1985 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Sep 2021, 12:31 am   #8
Uncle Bulgaria
Octode

We have a BOSE Wave Radio/CD which we got with a kitchen (?) about ten years ago. The remote packed up and I e-mailed Bose about it. They sent another one for about 20. This was a couple of years ago, but worth asking.
Uncle Bulgaria is offline   Reply With Quote