UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Offered and Wanted Messages > Sets, Parts and Service Information Wanted (private buyers only, no swaps)

Notices

Sets, Parts and Service Information Wanted (private buyers only, no swaps) If you need help obtaining components, sets or equipment, post a message here. Private buyers only - no traders. No swaps.

Old 24th Sep 2021, 8:12 am   #21
phut bang
Triode

Default Re: Wanted: high voltage DC variable PSU

i have a solartron psu i think it does 500v or 600v i had from high school i was doing pat testing there and they were covered in dust i asked if they were to be pat tested and they said no there were 3 there so i asked if could have one they agreed only cost to me was a few 13amp plugs the power supply comes in handy for re forming electrolytics
Old 24th Sep 2021, 3:24 pm   #22
Skywave
Dekatron

Arrow Re: Wanted: high voltage DC variable PSU

Yes Ed: I nearly close to add the cct. diags., etc., but we are limited to five attachments per posting; I didn't want to go in for 'over-kill' with the photos, but I was sure that someone would ask - and why not?

These days I don't own a document scanner (but one is one the 'shopping list' ), so the cct. diags. as attached were made by using a digital camera: at present, that's the best I can do. The cct. diag. is in 5 separate pieces. For a test, I've printed all 5 to my HP LaserJet 4 printer: the overlap is sufficient for anyone to print all 5 and manually put them together with the aid of a pair of scissors and Sellotape (or W-H-Y).

Now although I've used this PSU for many years without mishap, there may be a few areas in the design that could do with improvement, so if anyone wishes to comment accordingly, please say so. (Even professional design engineers get things wrong, sometimes! ) - thank you. Similarly, there may be the odd drafting error - again, if any are found, please tell me.

Next post, q.v.:
1. Block diagram: one small error. The heaters for the valves in this PSU are fed from two separate windings on T1. That isn't shown.
2. Documentation: cct. description, etc.

Finally, I happy to answer any Qs. arising from this design, etc. and to engage in any discussions so arising.

Al. / Sept. 24th.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PSU_1.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	103.8 KB
ID:	242035   Click image for larger version

Name:	PSU_2.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	242036   Click image for larger version

Name:	PSU_3.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	242037   Click image for larger version

Name:	PSU_4.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	242038   Click image for larger version

Name:	PSU_5.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	242039  

Last edited by Skywave; 24th Sep 2021 at 3:30 pm.
Skywave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Sep 2021, 3:39 pm   #23
Skywave
Dekatron

Supplementary post: documentation & block diag.

Al.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Block diag..jpg
Views:	33
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	242044  
Attached Files
File Type: doc Spec., performance & description..doc (50.0 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by Skywave; 24th Sep 2021 at 3:46 pm.
Skywave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Sep 2021, 6:57 pm   #24
Superscope
Heptode

That's a nice bit of Kit you have made there Al.

Not sure my Skills are up to that.

Ian
Superscope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Sep 2021, 12:58 pm   #25
Skywave
Dekatron

Arrow Re: Wanted: high voltage DC variable PSU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superscope View Post
That's a nice bit of kit you have made there Al.
Not sure my skills are up to that.
Ian
Ian: this item, as presented from a mechanical point of view, does indeed look intimidating and complicated. That's simply because I chose to squeeze everything into an available case that I had: the remains of an ancient Murphy signal generator, 1930 - 1940 (no later) vintage. But by using a suitably spacious traditional aluminium (or steel) chassis and with a case fabricated around it, the resulting build will be a lot easier.

Apart from the time-delay relay, all the other parts are standard items and that relay is a bit of a refinement anyway: it just happened to be available in the 'junk box'. It could be replaced by a semiconductor arrangement, possibly by using a 555 timer.

A 'reduced' version could be built: one regulated HT+ output, plus 6.3 v.a.c., by picking out the relevant parts of the circuit: one 12E1 (or an EL34; there are other valves that could be used); one EF39, etc.

So, give it a try: after all, what have you got to lose? Just time. And even if things don't produce a success, you've gained the experience - something that money alone can't buy. There are many 'half-finished' D-I-Y electronic projects cluttering up my workshop; uncompleted for many reasons, including 'conceptual failures'.

Cheers,
Al.
Old 25th Sep 2021, 3:10 pm   #26
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi Al, thanks for the schematic; a very useful looking piece of test kit and I'm sure it will generate some interest.
Just the sort of thing a vintage radio hobbyist needs

Ed
Ed_Dinning is offline   Reply With Quote