UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Sep 2021, 1:55 pm   #1
Peter.N.
Dekatron

Default FT2800 low receive gain

Didn't realise this when I bought it as it is connected to an old BNOS linear which has a very good pre amp but switch the preamp off and all the weak stations disappear.

I haven't looked inside it yet as its very modern for me - no valves for a start. is it likely to be just an alignment problem or are they susceptible to faults?

Thanks

Peter
Old 13th Sep 2021, 2:20 pm   #2
Restoration73
Nonode

Default Re: FT2800 low receive gain

This seems to be a problem with a range of modern Yaesu/Standard Vertex radios, the
ceramic IF filters develop dc leakage leading to deafness. Transmit is unaffected.
My FT-1802 has the same problem. As the parts are surface mounted you may prefer
the services of a pro repairer, I think a forum member is. A recent post mentioned it.
Old 13th Sep 2021, 2:30 pm   #3
mickm3for
Heptode

Hi the filters are prone to faults see https://vintage-radio.net/forum/show...ight=yaesu+vx7
Old 18th Sep 2021, 11:07 pm   #4
g0hze snowy
Hexode

i can confirm that the filters are usually the fault, they are cheap enough to purchase, the postage is more costly than the 2 x filters.
Yaesu techs recommend that you remove the black plastic cap and shake out the filter separators then unsolder the legs (5) 1 at a time, very easy to do, i have done several now, HOWEVER i did get caught out with 1 radio, it turned out not to be the filters but those miniscule stick on 3 legged fuses, the front end transistors. well worth doing the repair, Snowy
Closed Thread