UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Old 4th Sep 2021, 11:15 am   #1
Sparky67
Hexode

Default Clansman VRC353

Hi all,

Would someone with a 353 be kind enough to measure the meter diameter for me please. Knowing the overall and glass diameter in advance would be very useful for a small project here.

Many thanks.

Martin
G4NCE
Sparky67 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Sep 2021, 12:04 pm   #2
Oldcodger
Octode

Default Re: Clansman VRC353

Martin- I used to post on a Clansman site, hoping to get in touch with old workmates, but no luck. I've lost the site as I've had no contact. Might be worth a Google on Clansman 353 or similar. Possibly this site?
http://www.clansman-radio.co.uk/history.html
However, I've found a manual online. Perhaps somewhere in there are dimensions.
http://www.ferret-fv701.co.uk/radio/...escription.pdf
And after a search, I've found that Warrington Radio club have a section on the 353.
Oldcodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Sep 2021, 7:02 pm   #3
Sparky67
Hexode

Thanks for the links. I now have the dimensions so can scale the meter from a photo of the front panel.

Martin
Old 6th Sep 2021, 1:00 pm   #4
Oldcodger
Octode

Glad to help. At MSDS we used to joke that if in doubt, just ask the bloke in an old Moskvich at the gate for the diagram.
As I remember the meter was not big, but again I never had any problems with it in my few years at MSDS. I can remember that in a fight between a tank and a Clansman, tank always won.
Old 9th Sep 2021, 2:38 pm   #5
Sparky67
Hexode

I had an interview at MSDS once, but when it transpired the job would involve installation work around the world with long periods away from home, having a young family my interest declined somewhat!! Still interesting to be shown around the works, particularly the TEMPEST work they were doing on soft-skinned vehicles.

VRC353 meter issue now resolved.

Cheers,

Martin
Old 9th Sep 2021, 9:19 pm   #6
Oldcodger
Octode

Hill end site in late 70s- great place, but we had a management looking for cost-cutting, so I got out. We suspect it was jealousy, as those of us on shift earned more than the management on a salary. They forget that we organised our family life around shifts and the shift allowance was a price to pay.
Old 16th Sep 2021, 10:32 pm   #7
Oldcodger
Octode

For anyone in possession of a 353, and looking for help. I worked on most modules ,both in main production and in the repair section, for a few years. I've worked on sets that a lost, the fight with a Chieftain( and a lot more than MOD will admit to ). Problem is that it's a lot of years ago, and memory is grey, but if I can help , anyone is free to ask. I'll try to remember what we did to get sets out the door.