UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Television Standards Converters, Modulators etc

Notices

Television Standards Converters, Modulators etc Standards converters, modulators anything else for providing signals to vintage televisions.

Closed Thread

Old 11th Sep 2021, 11:30 am   #21
electronicskip
Nonode

Default Re: UHF transmitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsherwin View Post
I don't have the relevant legislation in front of me and am not a lawyer, so I can't quote chapter and verse. The objective was clearly to make it impossible to sell video senders by any means, including privately and at car boot sales. I don't think it was envisaged that the police would be smashing down people's front doors in the dead of night, or raiding genuine museums. Nevertheless, the powers are substantial and did criminalise possession rather than use.

Although the legislation seemed excessive at the time and still does, it was very effective - dodgy imported video senders disappeared from market stalls and independent shops overnight, and have never reappeared.
I still see these video senders for sale in charity shops very frequently, so really it sounds like they could be breaking the law?although i very much doubt they are aware of the situation?
Old 11th Sep 2021, 11:47 am   #22
paulsherwin

Default Re: UHF TV transmitter.

No, the ones you see now aren't UHF transmitters. They are a twin box setup which communicates using non broadcast frequencies. One of the boxes is connected to your digibox etc. and the other to a TV in another room. Those are perfectly legal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulM View Post
The law is here:
https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1998/722/made

Specifies 'video sender' - one class of device, I would wager.
Thanks for finding that Paul. The issue is that 'video sender' isn't really defined, though it's obvious what the legislation was trying to do.
Old 11th Sep 2021, 12:00 pm   #23
PaulM
Hexode

I think that we need to differentiate between 'Videosenders' and UHF transmitters.
That's where things have started to become confused here.

It seems to me that they are two different things in the eyes of the law.
The legislation is very carefully worded, it excludes amateur bands and ties it squarely (in my view) to domestic situations using 'videosenders' (a sales and marketing term, no doubt).

My own 'UHF transmitters' are thus perfectly legal - they're not 'videosenders' and not used to air, or are legal as outside the frquency range specified (they're 70 cm amateur band).

The Wireless Telegraphy Act is powerful enough in itself to stop pirates and doesn't need the help of this 'hole plugging' legislation. It was designed for a specific purpose.

BTW, there is an earlier thread on this topic.

Best regards,

Paul M
Old 11th Sep 2021, 12:00 pm   #24
Richard_FM
Octode

I remember Watchdog once featured UHF video senders, there was a concern they could be used to set up pirate TV stations that led to their swift banning.
Old 11th Sep 2021, 12:34 pm   #25
Station X

Default Re: UHF TV transmitter. (Micro UHF Analog TV transmitter).

The link posted in post #20 clearly states that the device linked to in post #1 cannot legally be used in the UK.

What the situation is in Spain, where the OP resides, I don't know.

Forum rules state:-

Quote:
F. Prohibited Discussions, Sales and Wants

Equipment or information that cannot be used legally in the UK must not be bought, sold or discussed in these forums. This includes pirated or cracked software. The moderators will delete any posts relating to equipment or information falling into this category.
Time to close this thread.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Closed Thread