UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here)

Notices

Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here) If you have any useful general hints and tips for vintage technology repair and restoration, please share them here. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 6th Oct 2011, 1:30 pm   #1
michael99
Retired Dormant Member

Default 4 volts from 6.3 volts

If you half-wave rectify a 6.3V sinusoidal supply, and assume 0.6V drop across the diode, you get within a few millivolts of 4.0V RMS - useful if you need, but don't have, a 4V winding. This can be proved by doing the integration from first principles (1st year A-level stuff), bearing in mind that the peak voltage is 6.3xroot2 minus 0.6, and the diode is conducting for slightly less than 180 degrees. If you're running more than one valve, point the diodes in opposite directions to avoid DC in the transformer. Easier than removing turns, and cooler-running than using resistors. The technique was common in the days of series-connected TV heater chains, but I've never seen it spelt out that, here, the numbers work out particularly conveniently.
Old 6th Oct 2011, 1:50 pm   #2
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: 4 volts from 6.3 volts

Looked at in a simpler way for those whose integral calculus is rather rusty. I know mine is, because I just tried the integral and was a factor of 2 out for reasons I haven't quite worked out yet.

The power is on for half the time, so it's half the power. Hence the RMS voltage is divided by SQRT(2), about 4.5V. Subtract the 0.6V diode drop and it's near enough 4V RMS. Actually I should subtract the 0.6V first which gets even closer to 4V.

I like the idea of using 2 diodes to balance the load.
Old 6th Oct 2011, 1:54 pm   #3
G8HQP Dave
Rest in Peace

Default Re: 4 volts from 6.3 volts

You can do the calc roughly without using integration. 6.3V rms for half the time is 6.3x0.707=4.45V rms. Then take off the diode drop, which will be approximately 0.6x0.707=0.42V rms. One snag, will it create buzz because the heater supply for any one valve will now include mains harmonics, so will jump any capacitive link more easily?
Closed Thread