UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 31st May 2023, 6:17 pm   #1
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default Philips "Powerlife" AA cells - a success story.

Servicing a radio remote-control unit [used to raise/lower the entrance to a friend's chicken-coop] I came across these Philips "Powerlife" AA-cells.

Made in PRC [a.k.a. China].

Marked best before 06/2014.

But still entirely leak-free and putting out the expected 1.4V per cell.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	powerlife.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	279037  
Old 31st May 2023, 6:28 pm   #2
Sideband
Dekatron

Default Re: Philips "Powerlife" AA cells - a success story.

They were good batteries. When I worked for Philips I used to buy the green ones from the staff shop. They outlasted Duracell and at that time I used to have a personal cassette/radio that I used on the train. Duracells would last about a week, the Philips would easily last a month.
Old 31st May 2023, 6:33 pm   #3
paulsherwin

I agree, they were good batteries despite being PRC. When they were discontinued Richer Sounds sold them off at bargain prices.
Old 31st May 2023, 10:44 pm   #4
kalee20
Dekatron

"Despite being PRC..."

There is some good stuff that comes out of China! Basically, they're up for working to whatever quality you want.

(The fact that the batteries are really good, of course, doesn't mean the manufacturing techniques aren't questionable... forced labour; unsafe practices; disposing of unwanted chemical waste into the sea; etc.)
Old 1st Jun 2023, 9:26 am   #5
paulsherwin

Indeed, Chinese manufacturers can supply at all quality levels depending on customer specifications. They support a world class manned space programme and a huge high speed rail system amongst other things.

This is OT though.
Old 1st Jun 2023, 9:46 pm   #6
lightning
Heptode

l just removed a Panasonic zinc carbon battery from a VHS-C adapter

lt used one lonely AA battery to operate the motor. lt
was still working, but slowly.

The battery had an expiry date of 2014 and hadn't leaked at all, and was still able to drive the motor.
Old 2nd Jun 2023, 11:55 am   #7
Craig Sawyers
Dekatron

Again slightly off topic, but this is a story of battery longevity. I couple of years ago I bought a somewhat rare AVO8 Resistance Range Extension Unit.

That has a D-cell and 4x30V batteries. I opened it with trepidation expecting leaking and corrosion.

I needn't have worried. They were all zinc-carbon and must have been in there for decades. All zero voltage, but none had leaked. All Ever Ready.

Craig
Old 13th Jun 2023, 4:01 am   #8
Oldmadham
Pentode

Back in the day, Eveready "No 6" cells were quite widely used in telephony, alarm, & some doorbells.
In many cases they had lifetimes measured in decades.

We had an internal "Maggy-phone" in one place using a bunch of 1959 "No 6" cells, which had '"Sealed construction" with no "breather tube".

The early 1980s replacements were made in France by another manufacturer & looked exactly like the 1930s photos we had in an old reference book, even down to the "breather tube" & pitch sealing.
Old 13th Jun 2023, 2:59 pm   #9
Maarten
Dekatron

Those Philips batteries might still have been based on the orginal Philips-Panasonic design, that is if Philips had the rights to it and went through the trouble of licensing production in China. Background: Panasonic Energy Belgium was once started as a joint venture between Philips and Panasonic to better profit from the economy of scale. I assume they both brought in all relevant patents.
Closed Thread