UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd May 2023, 6:44 am   #1
Chris55000
Nonode

Default Repurposing old AM IF Transformers?

Now that very cheap old solid–state unwanted am and am/fm only radios are all over the place in charity shops, car boot sales, (and on here sometimes!) etc., is it possible to unwind the old 10 mm square Chinese type I.F. transformers and rewind them to make chroma and subcarrier transformers for pattern generator circuits?

I am thinking in earnest about the desire for a Philips type DEM/Matrix/Phase pattern that has come to light in the Test Card Generator thread, and I was thinking that it should be possible to reuse the can and former from old 10mm 10.7 MHz f.m. IFTs as a starting point, since these are available in abundance from discarded old sets!

What are Member's thoughts on this? I'm happy to give it a go if anyone can enlighten me as to approximate inductances, turns ratios, etc!

What wire diameter would be needed?

Chris Williams
Old 23rd May 2023, 9:15 am   #2
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Default Re: Repurposing old AM IF Transformers?

Hi Chris, there may be a problem if the TCG transformer needs to be wave wound as special equipment will be required. Litz wire is still available it that is required, b ut may not be necessary at 3MHz.

If you can get hold of a Q meter it should be possible to characterise a TCG transformer

Ed
Old 23rd May 2023, 9:33 am   #3
Chris55000
Nonode

Morning Ed!

. . .I have an Advance T2 carefully stacked at the top of my Oscilloscope Racks @ home – will that do?

. . .I also have a modern East Technologies ET4401 LCR Meter, and a Racal 9301A R.F. Millivoltmeter that (I hope!) will read the 4.43 MHz primary and secondary voltages in the '5508 I bought off you!

. . .I haven't read the W.W. and Practical Television articles that cover winding the decoder coils/Transformers in detail yet, but I think they're not wound with very many turns!

What about these Neosid kits as an alternative for winding them on?

Chris Williams
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20230523-094003.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	278623  

Last edited by Chris55000; 23rd May 2023 at 9:44 am.
Old 23rd May 2023, 7:53 pm   #4
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi Chris the Advance, should give you the information you require. From memory the handbook gives testing details for RF coils/ transformers.
The critical parameters are the inductance, turns ratio, coupling factor and Q of the windings.
The Neosid's might work and worth a try if you have some winding details but I suspect the Al factor (turns per nH) may be incorrect on a different core and Q values could be well different.

Check the Q meter first as it has some horrible black Hunts caps inside

Ed
Old 23rd May 2023, 8:01 pm   #5
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

In times-past I did things the other way: rewinding PAL-TV sound-IF transformers to 3.5 and 5MHz for amateur-radio applications.

Old TV coil-formers also worked well in building bandpass-couplers. It was always a matter of add a few turns, subtract a few turns and see what happens. Fortunately in the 70s there were plenty of scrap TVs to gralloch for their formers.