UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 29th Apr 2023, 12:01 pm   #1
vinrads
Dekatron

Default Ekco A22 project finished .

David G4EBT Supplied me with the chassis and cabinet the case required a lot of work ie re building the left foot and part of the side ,the chassis was totally striped painted, all the wax capacitors replaced and the crumbling rubber wiring, it was missing the mains tx, the audio output tx ,the loudspeaker , and knobs and back cover, almost forgot a new/repro dial this one is slightly off white.
The knobs you see were a gift from David ,they were in black so they needed painting , it took three attempts to get the colour somewhere near correct even after paying to have a colour match which wasn't to my liking .the speaker cloth was a piece I had, I think it looks ok, the chrome ring was missing allot of the chrome finish ,they were a bronze colour on the brown case ones so it had a coat of bronze which I had in stock.
I made the back cover using hardboard, cutting the slots was the hardest part , when finished I gave it a couple of coats of stone chip protector paint which gives it a textured finish .
All in all I am very happy with the end result another one to the collection, Thanks David . Mick.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0019 (10).jpg
Views:	135
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	277496   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0021 (8).jpg
Views:	120
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	277498   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0022 (8).jpg
Views:	117
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	277499   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0024 (8).jpg
Views:	107
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	277500  

Last edited by vinrads; 29th Apr 2023 at 12:30 pm.
Old 29th Apr 2023, 12:45 pm   #2
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Default Re: Ekco A22 project finished .

I'll be the first to congratulate you Mick!

Apart from yourself, I'm the only other person on the forum that saw the dilapidated chassis and wrecked cabinet before they came into your possession and I could never have imagined that the A22 would end up looking as it does. To my eyes, (having restored three A22s), the chassis was so far-gone that it was only fit as a donor of parts such as the coil pack and IFTs. The mains transformer, output transformer and choke were missing, and all the wiring was perished, with some of it missing.

The cabinet had the usual extensive damage that arises when A22s are dropped - a large piece was missing underneath, including one of the feet, though when restored and sprayed to match the cabinet, the damaged area, apart from the foot, wouldn't be apparent and indeed it isn't.

Mick did a first class job of bringing the chassis back to life and restoring the cabinet, but needed a set of knobs as I'd sold the knobs that came with the damaged radio to another forum member. Back in 2017, I'd made a replica A22 tuning knob and a smaller volume/waveband knob which I outlined in 5, 6 and 7 in the thread below:

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=140529

I still had the two knobs, and as Mick had put so much effort in (and had paid me for the chassis and cabinet!), as a little gift to Mick I decided to make a second smaller knob last week to complete the set of three, which - as he's outlined - he needed to spray brown to match the cabinet. Difficult to make the back without a router jig!

The pictures say it all.

In a world in which people know the price of everything but the value of nothing, it's quite uplifting to see such 'resurrections'!
Old 29th Apr 2023, 2:59 pm   #3
Tractionist
Heptode

Very (very!) Well done Mick!
Old 29th Apr 2023, 4:41 pm   #4
Reelman
Octode

Very, very impressed, a brilliant job. Well done Mick!

How on earth did you manage to not only match the paint on the repaired foot to the rest of the cabinet but also match the slightly “mottled” (for want of a better word) appearance?

Peter
Old 29th Apr 2023, 5:06 pm   #5
Gabe001
Octode

Wow! Excellent job
Old 29th Apr 2023, 6:16 pm   #6
vinrads
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelman View Post
Very, very impressed, a brilliant job. Well done Mick!

How on earth did you manage to not only match the paint on the repaired foot to the rest of the cabinet but also match the slightly “mottled” (for want of a better word) appearance?

Peter
Hi Peter I am not that clever (I wish) the front of the foot is a piece of Bakelite salvaged from a scrap radio a bit of luck there it was a near match, the rest is less convincing thank you for your positive comments .Mick.

Last edited by vinrads; 29th Apr 2023 at 6:33 pm.
Old 29th Apr 2023, 6:34 pm   #7
slidertogrid
Octode

A wonderful job! To make a set like that out of what was really just some scrap parts is incredible! It looks great!

Rich.
Old 29th Apr 2023, 6:40 pm   #8
Lloyd 1985
Nonode

Absolutely amazing! It looks beautiful, you have done a great job on it, the repair to the cabinet looks great from here, and the replacement back cover looks fantastic too. I must say, I do like to see these basket cases brought back to life!

Regards,
Lloyd
Old 30th Apr 2023, 8:43 am   #9
vinrads
Dekatron

This may be helpful to someone, these are the paints I used. Mick.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0023 (8).jpg
Views:	63
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	277544  
Closed Thread