UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 11th Jan 2019, 5:05 pm   #21
avocollector
Heptode

Default Re: ESR Meters.

My thanks to both David and Mark for their posts - most enlightening.
Old 12th Jan 2019, 12:47 am   #22
Tim
Dekatron

Given the prices of them in the above thread, I'm even keener to build one! I have all the bits and instructions/ circuit. Now all I need is the time!
Old 12th Jan 2019, 4:03 am   #23
evingar
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argus25 View Post
The best ESR meter I have ever used was the one designed by Bob Parker. I have the kitset version of it made by Silicon Chip, available from Altronics with a lovely black housing and Red LED's, but they come in other forms:
Another vote for the Bob Parker design here
I have 2 meters, both built from kits, an older Anatec "blue" and one from a chap in Portugal (EVB).

http://clientes.netvisao.pt/greenpal/evb1.htm

Both versions seem very well protected from applied voltage, judging from the daft things I've done to both. It's nice to have a circuit diagram for both. The only thing that isn't an off the shelf part is the programmed uP.
Old 12th Jan 2019, 4:08 pm   #24
jimmc101
Heptode

A varied collection of homebrew ESR meter circuits is available on kripton2035's site

Jim
Old 12th Jan 2019, 4:28 pm   #25
Philips210
Nonode

Hi.

I built a very useful ESR meter from TELEVISION magazine. The project was by Alan Willcox and the articles can be found here https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=93523 post#5 thanks to member KeithsTV.

Regards
Symon.
Old 13th Jan 2019, 9:20 pm   #26
M3VUV51
Banned

look at my homebrew one from p diddy at eev blogg,also the chinese esr meters use a too high voltage to test in circuithttps://www.eevblog.com/forum/projects/5-transistor-esr-meter-design/200/
Old 13th Jan 2019, 10:12 pm   #27
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

Are you saying that someone has tested all of the "chinese esr meters" and established that they all work on too high a voltage to use 'In-circuit', or is that just a sweeping generalisation? The point has to be stressed here that if you buy a tester for the lowest price on the market, you would be foolish to think it is likely to perform as well as something costing appreciably more.

I think that the issue of testing the ESR of capacitors 'in circuit' is regarded by some people as a bit of a grey area, and there is some possibility of getting a false reading even when low voltage tester is being used.

B
Old 13th Jan 2019, 10:30 pm   #28
evingar
Octode

Quote:
I think that the issue of testing the ESR of capacitors 'in circuit' is regarded by some people as a bit of a grey area, and there is some possibility of getting a false reading even when low voltage tester is being used.
I think you have to use your head a bit and work out what's in parallel. Measuring caps in circuit has saved me a lot of time when repairing SMPSU's.
Old 4th May 2019, 8:18 am   #29
Longespee
Pentode

After reading this thread and finding it most useful and interesting ( apart from the fact I'm borrowing an ESR more often than I feel comfortable with ) , I have opted for the Peak, should be here next week.
Old 4th May 2019, 9:43 am   #30
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

You will not go wrong with the Peak.
Old 4th May 2019, 3:00 pm   #31
Pamphonica
Nonode

The "Eureka Moment" for me was over 12+ years ago when I was trying to faultfind a switchmode power supply on a Philips scope which was giving a very fizzy trace. I HATE switchmodes!
Michael Maurice offered to let me come over and he would show me what an ESR meter can do. A few minutes of in-circuit ESR testing and the faulty caps were clearly identified.
There were so many that he suggested a complete re-cap, which I did, and the scope sprang back to life.
Since then I have always used an ESR meter on electrolytic caps involved in power-related faults.
And yes, I decided to treat myself to a Peak Electronics one. I damaged one test lead (cut through in error), and Peak volunteered to send me a new lead set foc. Now that's service!
Closed Thread