UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 11th Jan 2019, 3:02 pm   #1
avocollector
Heptode

Default BBC radio programme 1960's Folk on Friday

Does anyone know of any archive or listing of the performers on these programmes? Used to have Bob Brocklehurst as the Bass player and were re broadcast on Sunday afternoons at 1pm. I've been trying to find lists of the UK performers from back then when I used to listen to them in the late 60's It's been hard to find much as YouTube/internet only seem to focus on US folk performers back then. Have found some such as the Watersons, Alex Campbell, Ralph McTell, Pentangle, Johnstons but there are a fair few others I'd like to find as well,
Old 11th Jan 2019, 5:11 pm   #2
G8KBG Tony
Pentode

Default Re: BBC radio programme 1960's Folk on Friday

Try BBC Genome.

All best wishes,

Tony
Old 14th Jan 2019, 2:21 pm   #3
avocollector
Heptode

Brilliant - many thanks to Tony for this info!
Old 14th Jan 2019, 3:14 pm   #4
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

That's a good listing but it seems to start in 1970 Tony! I'm sure there may be other routes to listings/recordings Avo. The sixties stuff would be even more interesting. John Peel, for example, had people like Wizz Jones on in that period. There is a famous photograph of Brian Brocklehurst riding from one studio to another as a session musician. It's a very big, genial looking, man with an enormous Double Bass strapped on his back, smoking a Sherlock Holmes pipe and riding one of the tiny fold-up bikes that had just been introduced with [I think] 9" wheels. Like the Bumble Bee it just shouldn't have worked

I went to a Mike Chapman performance at the Lamb Folk Club in Eastbourne a few years back. I'd heard all the legendary tales about him broke and playing for drinks at a pub in Cornwall in the sixties. To my amazement there was a CD on sale "Michael Chapman Live At The Folk Cottage 1967" [Treehouse 44 Records].
These are the earliest known recordings. They were made by two members of that Club using a AKG Microphone [hung over the rafters] and a Ferrograph 5AN open reel machine-very sophisticated for those times and it shows.

This sort of discovery is very exciting for me and puts "Time Team" etc on the back burner. I understand that Mike C still goes back to the pub, that gave him a chance to come in out of the rain, every year.

From late 1969, we were in Hull for a year and I bought his first and second LP's in the Arcade at The Land of Green Ginger. The cover of the first told me that he was living two streets away and the Centre Fold of the second is a shot of him playing at a "Free Festival" in Pearson Park-Spring 1970 [I think]. We were there! I didn't meet him then, even though he'd taught photography at my wife's Art College in Bolton. Very many years later I heard him reveal that an "encounter", related in one of his songs, took place on Holcombe Hill just near my house in Ramsbottom. I really like synchronicity

Dave W

Last edited by dave walsh; 14th Jan 2019 at 3:21 pm.
Old 14th Jan 2019, 4:00 pm   #5
ms660
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave walsh View Post
I went to a Mike Chapman performance at the Lamb Folk Club in Eastbourne a few years back. I'd heard all the legendary tales about him broke and playing for drinks at a pub in Cornwall in the sixties. To my amazement there was a CD on sale "Michael Chapman Live At The Folk Cottage 1967"

Dave W
The Folk Cottage was between Mitchell and Ladock, I used to go there many moons ago, no proper toilets , it was a bit of an off beat ('scuse pun) place to get to, I used to get there via a narrow lane from Tresillian Bridge in my beat up old Frogeyed Sprite with my then girlfriend, that Folk Club venue closed down and eventually the venue for the Folk Club was to be at the Swan Inn at Truro...used to go there too.

Lawrence.
Old 14th Jan 2019, 5:17 pm   #6
dave walsh
Dekatron

Somehow I'm not surprised to hear about your experiences back then Lawrence I've not got my notes with me but it seemed clear that the Folk Cottage wasn't the pub with an obliging Landlord but the closest to that experience it I guess. I've not got my notes to hand but I don't think it was the Swan Inn either

Very glad to have recovered happy [I hope] memories for you there. I nearly posted a quote from the ISB [The Incredible Sting Band] on another thread recently. "I was a young man then-back in the 1960's" [5000 Spirits 1967].

Dave
Old 14th Jan 2019, 5:58 pm   #7
ms660
Dekatron

The Folk Cottage was never a pub, it was an old building pressed into service as a venue, allthough it was called the Folk Cottage we always called it The Folk Club, the venue at the Swann Inn in Truro which we also called The Folk Club came in the 1970's, I can't remember exactly who I saw at the Folk Cottage or at The Swan Inn but some from the usual folky lot would have played their stuff when I attended, a couple of later gigs I do remember were Bert Jansch at the Wints down PZ (for the Emitts that's The Winter Gardens at Penzance) the last gig of that sort of genre I was at was John Martyn at the St. Ives Guildhall which I think was sometime in the 1990's.

Lawrence.
Old 15th Jan 2019, 3:49 pm   #8
dave walsh
Dekatron

Coincidentally I've had an e-mail from the "Paradise of Bachelors" music site today giving details of Mike Chapman gigs in March with a support band. After 50 years and many albums, it's the first time he's ever toured to promote one! I might make it to Hebden Bridge Trades Club.

Dave
Closed Thread