UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Aug 2015, 10:39 am   #1
flyingtech55
Octode

Default Crimson Electrik Amplifier

Hi folks

I've just been given a Crimson Electik amplifier. It has 35-01B issue 5 output boards which is apparently the thing you need to know with the single bridge rectifier power supply. The most notable feature is the front edge is just a whole row of black heatsinks. There doesn't appear to be a model number but the toroidal mains transformer is rated at 250VA. The output devices are 2N3773.

Does anyone know anything about these amplifiers, what's the output rating and are they any good.

Thanks in advance

TimR
Old 13th Aug 2015, 10:51 am   #2
peter_sol
Octode

Default Re: Crimson Electrik Amplifier

I would think they are 100watts RMS as the 2N3773 was quite popular at the time a heavier rated 2N3055 device.
Old 13th Aug 2015, 11:21 am   #3
paulsherwin

http://www.crimsonelectronics.com/about_us.html#history
Old 13th Aug 2015, 11:33 am   #4
flyingtech55
Octode

The amplifier in the first picture is the one I was given. There is no pre-amp; just the power amplifier. The date on the main electrolytics is 1980 so that's about right. I haven't tried it because I'm still in throes of clearing my late mother's house.

TimR
Old 13th Aug 2015, 10:48 pm   #5
turretslug
Dekatron

It's been a while, but I recall seeing their ads that proclaimed that, for a bit more money at time of purchase, you could have some of the "signal path" electrolytics "upgraded" to tantalum bead. That might be coming home to roost nowadays.... And, of course, "signal path" is a contentious definition in itself.
Old 14th Aug 2015, 7:01 am   #6
mickyfinn
Hexode

I built one from new and the pre amp.My friend and myself were always competing against each other to have the best system.We both bought the kits.He could afford the full kit with metalwork and I couldn't but I worked at a coachbuilders at the time and had the cases made up from aluminium sheet and sprayed them satin black.They were well thought of and sounded great.Wish I hadn't sold it!
Mick
Closed Thread