UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Jan 2008, 4:52 pm   #1
JAMESBALDWIN
Retired Dormant Member

Default slow 706 dial

Can anyone tell me how to adjust the dial speed of a 706.I've just bought one and it;s very stiff on dialing and slow to return.
Any websites you could suggest for the repair of 700 series phones would be very helpful many thanks
Old 23rd Jan 2008, 6:36 pm   #2
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Default Re: slow 706 dial

Hi James,

It's not that simple

There's a thread on this problem on the forum already, you should be able to use the search facility to find it.

My choice would be to replace the whole dial mechanism with one from another 706 or 746 phone, transferring the finger plate if it's an original colour-matched one. They're all interchangable. You should be able to pick up a tatty and unloved (grey/brown) 746 for virtually nothing.

Nick.
Old 23rd Jan 2008, 8:37 pm   #3
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickthedentist View Post
There's a thread on this problem on the forum already, you should be able to use the search facility to find it.
Presumably, you mean this one.
Old 23rd Jan 2008, 8:40 pm   #4
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Thanks Dave, that's it!
Old 25th Jan 2008, 10:46 am   #5
arjoll
Dekatron

Back 'in the day' I used to speed up the dials of NZPO type 100 phones (look identical to the 706/746) by squeezing the brass governor together a bit. I'm not sure if this was the 'right' way to do things but it certainly sped things up!
Old 25th Jan 2008, 6:09 pm   #6
davidw
Heptode

James, when I used to fix phones for the good old GPO, dials could be cleaned with CLEAN White Spirit(in fact White Spirit was the only approved solvent in those days!) Try cleaning all the moving bearing parts,but if this is your first go I would advise not dismantling,as it can be tricky, but not impossible, to get the govenor endfloat tension right and the worm drive to mesh properly.A VERY light oil can be applied to the bearing points.We used to use very small artist paint brushes (brushes lubricating No1) The speed can be adjusted,if neccessary, after you are sure everything runs smoothly by
VERY slight adjustment of the govenor weights,inwards for faster out for slower. Try speaking out loud "one thousand one hundred and one" as a rough guide to the dial return time! For best effect this should be done in front of a customer! We did have fun in the good old days. Good luck.
David...
Old 26th Jan 2008, 5:31 pm   #7
JAMESBALDWIN
Retired Dormant Member

Many Thanks.tried The Oil And Its Much Smoother Now
Old 29th Jan 2008, 12:22 am   #8
bakelite_gal
Retired Dormant Member

I can repair old dials for 706 and 746 telephones. However unless the spring has gone you can perform a little DIY work yourself. Use a piece of tape to pull off the clear plastic dial cover. Remove the paper number. Remove the single screw. Remove the finger dial. Release the dial number plate by removing the circlip. Apply WD40 to a cotton bud and wipe the inside of the governer cap, and the exposed gear teeth. Reassemble and test. If you dial a zero and release it "say 1001 slowly" and the dial should reach its return stop as you finish saying "one thousand and one". All the best Karen.
Old 4th Feb 2008, 10:15 pm   #9
Majicou
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakelite_gal View Post
SNIP Apply WD40 to a cotton bud and wipe the inside of the governer cap, and the exposed gear teeth. Reassemble and test. If you dial a zero and release it "say 1001 slowly" and the dial should reach its return stop as you finish saying "one thousand and one". All the best Karen.SNIP
I would strongly urge NOT to use WD40. A very light sewing machine oil applied very sparingly ( use the tip of a paper clip or similar ) to add a tiny drop to the places mention. WD40 will in the end collect dust and fluff etc and jam it up even more. I can reapir any GPO dial if you find and probs

Regards

Andy
Closed Thread