UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 8th Feb 2008, 2:53 pm   #21
beery
Heptode

Default Re: What is this bakelite phone?

Hi Pete,
you will need a cover for it to work properly. I might be able to send one and a diaphragm in the next week or so.
The thickness of the diaphragm is not that critical, but the cover does an important job of clamping it evenly around the edge. If I open up a working 300 series earpiece it goes quiet, particularly if it is the type used by ITI phones and early GPO phones.
The dial has off-normal contacts that are designed to short across the earpiece the moment the dial is slightly rotated from its normal position, this is (amongst other things) to prevent loud clicks being heard whilst dailing.

Cheers
Andy
Old 8th Feb 2008, 9:01 pm   #22
dagskarlsen
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete_kaye View Post
I need a replacement diaphragm or exact dimensions to make one .Can anyone tell me the type of metal used .It is the same size as the BT 332 and probably others too.
Of course it is not the right material, but I have achieved reasonable sound making it from the magnetic part of an old calendar of the typy you slide a magnetic ring from day to day. It is even possible to use a strong pair of scissors to make the diaphragm.

dsk

Last edited by arjoll; 9th Feb 2008 at 8:27 am. Reason: remove excessive quoting
Old 7th Mar 2008, 1:50 pm   #23
Pete_kaye
Octode

Beery you have 2 PMs.
Closed Thread