UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 29th Nov 2007, 1:30 am   #1
Tim
Dekatron

Default Tele 332 with faulty dial.

Hi
Have a Tele 332 here with a faulty dial.
Speed seems OK, but it comes to rest at 1/2 if you see what I mean. If you pull the dial back to 0 with your finger, and let go, the dial rotates 1/2 a number clockwise. Unfortunately it also cuts off the call!! Could it just need a clean or a likely problem with the return spring? Just so I know where to start.
And would something like thin cycle oil or sewing machine oil be OK?

(Dial number 10)

Thanks
Tim
Old 29th Nov 2007, 9:14 am   #2
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Default Re: Tele 332 with faulty dial.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
Hi
Have a Tele 332 here with a faulty dial.
Speed seems OK, but it comes to rest at 1/2 if you see what I mean. If you pull the dial back to 0 with your finger, and let go, the dial rotates 1/2 a number clockwise. Unfortunately it also cuts off the call!! Could it just need a clean or a likely problem with the return spring? Just so I know where to start.
And would something like thin cycle oil or sewing machine oil be OK?

(Dial number 10)

Thanks
Tim
Can you remove the governor and see if it still does it?

If so, you may have lost the spring under the flat circular brass casing within; the hooked retaining end might have broken off, de-tensioning your dial.

Try with the governor removed first, and see if the finger-plate returns to zero. You'll need to use your finger to keep it under control!

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 10th Dec 2007, 10:37 pm   #3
Tim
Dekatron

Thanks for the advice Russell.
The return spring is indeed broken(into 3 pieces). Do you know where I could obtain a replacement spring/dial?

Thanks
Tim
Old 11th Dec 2007, 12:29 am   #4
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
Thanks for the advice Russell.
The return spring is indeed broken(into 3 pieces). Do you know where I could obtain a replacement spring/dial?

Thanks
Tim
You could scour ebay for a dial, put a request in the 'wanted' section, or wait a wee while and I'll see if I have one kicking about...

I haven't checked, but it may be possible to fit a spring from a modern dial (fitted to a 700 series), as the spring is contained within a brass disc. I don't think the spring-housings are compatible, but it's an idea certainly worth contemplating, even if you've to remove and refit the steel coiled spring as an item.

Oh, for the days when ex-300 series dials were available in the small ads of 'Practically Witless' for 25p from the likes of J. Bull Electrical!

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.

Last edited by Darren-UK; 11th Dec 2007 at 2:17 am. Reason: To comply with Forum Rule C1 regarding references to ebay.
Old 11th Dec 2007, 1:57 am   #5
Tim
Dekatron

Thanks Russell. I have some 746 dials about.I'll strip one of those and see.
Old 2nd Feb 2008, 10:22 am   #6
bakelite_gal
Retired Dormant Member

You should have already found out but I can confirm for other reading this item that the return spring is the same on a 700 series dial as it is on a 200 or 300 series telephone. Its good to see backward compatability
Old 5th Feb 2008, 4:56 pm   #7
Tim
Dekatron

Telephone now fixed and owner well chuffed. Thanks for all your help.