UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here)

Notices

Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here) If you have any useful general hints and tips for vintage technology repair and restoration, please share them here. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 11th Aug 2014, 12:30 pm   #1
threeseven
Octode

Default Solution for test equipment mains plug hassle!

For as long as I can remember I've always cursed at how awkward and cumbersome UK BS1363 mains plugs are on test equipment and other items of equipment are. It's fine with test gear thats permanently plugged in but stuff thats infrequently used, so therefore having the mains leads coiled and stored, they are a liability and likely to mark cases, other equipment etc. Well thats the way I find it anyway.
So yesterday, during a BS1363 based incident, I had a cranium light bulb moment
The answer I thought, would be to fit IEC C13 shrouded males to the test equipment so that I can use a convenient IEC multiway in the workshop, but for the times I need to use a BS1363 socket a BS1363 to IEC C13 female adaptor would be ideal.
And guess what, a quick Bing and I discovered they are actually available
Not cheap but not many are needed, maybe 2 or 3.
So, I realise many reading this might think I might be OCD or some other mental issue, or even may have already known about the adaptor but for me this has solved a long standing annoyance
I hope it might be of use to others of the same mind
Old 11th Aug 2014, 12:41 pm   #2
newlite4
Octode

Default Re: Solution for test equipment mains plug hassle!

This is what I like about having American and European midget sets in the collection, it is justifiable to fit two pin miniature plugs saving a bit of space.
Neil
Old 11th Aug 2014, 2:40 pm   #3
turretslug
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by threeseven View Post
So, I realise many reading this might think I might be OCD or some other mental issue
Not at all! Entirely rational conclusion and solution- I've long regarded the BS1363 plug as a lumpen, awkward camel of a connector, its only saving grace being the internal fuse option. There must be plenty here with tales of poorly packed 13A plugs having wrecked cabinets, scale glasses etc. in transit. I've used the flying IEC option for a long while- and short 13A to IEC female leads to complete the domestic wall outlet option are cheap and plentiful. Also gives international connection flexibility.
Old 11th Aug 2014, 4:01 pm   #4
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

I did something rather similar for all my home-entertainment stuff: replace the IEC-to-13A leads siupplied with the kit by IEC male-to-female leads and then run them all into a multi-outlet strip

which then all goes together nicely. A single lead from the strip then goes to the wall-outlet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dell_4T766.jpg
Views:	368
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	96050  
Old 11th Aug 2014, 5:33 pm   #5
Dickie
Octode

I recall from my days in the BBC radio maintenance team we used 3-pin mains XLR connectors to achieve the same result. Even smaller and neater than C13/C14 combinations, but somewhat more expensive!

Richard, BVWS member
Old 11th Aug 2014, 5:57 pm   #6
llama
Octode

I don't know where it came from but I found a 2-pin IEC male in-line re-wirable plug in my box of spares. I used it for the "outer" end of the power cord for my Sony reel-to-reel. So it tucks in neatly into the space provided. I was pleased to find a 2-pin one to make it clear to myself and anyone else that there was no mains-connector provided earth on it.

I'm talking kettle connector size plug here; I don't know if there is a re-wirable figure-of-8 in-line plug.

Graham
Old 11th Aug 2014, 6:41 pm   #7
threeseven
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickie View Post
I recall from my days in the BBC radio maintenance team we used 3-pin mains XLR connectors to achieve the same result. Even smaller and neater than C13/C14 combinations, but somewhat more expensive!
Very nice plugs but there isn't a 1 piece adaptor to BS1363 available off the shelf. The one I found is literally a BS1363 plug with an IEC female moulded in.
Old 11th Aug 2014, 9:02 pm   #8
gezza123
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by G6Tanuki View Post
I did something rather similar for all my home-entertainment stuff: replace the IEC-to-13A leads siupplied with the kit by IEC male-to-female leads and then run them all into a multi-outlet strip
They are nice sockets, I do have a couple I was intending to put in the workshop when I find the time.
One off them has a box on the end and two relay's built in with a start power switch and an emergency button.I will have a look in workshop tomorrow and post a picture.
Amazon sell them, not cheap.
Gezza123
Old 12th Aug 2014, 9:19 am   #9
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

As gezza123 says, these are not cheap if you have to buy them new. The answer is - don't! If you know anyone who's doing a computer-room refurb then ask them - they'll probably have loads of these sorts of things going spare.

I got mine as cast-offs from an energy-monitoring project: the client wanted to be able to measure in real-time the power taken by each of their servers so I replaced the dumb IEC multiways with 'smart' ones - now each outlet-strip in their server room can be polled by its unique IP-address every minute and returns the instantaneous power-draw on each of its 16 IEC outlets - I can then graph the results in a way which pleases senior management and 'Green' auditors.

[An individual IEC outlet can also be powered on or off remotely - which makes things much easier when something needs a power-off/power-on type of hard reset at 03:00 and there's nobody awake on-site to do it for me!].
Old 12th Aug 2014, 2:21 pm   #10
gezza123
Heptode

As promised guys, here are the EIC Sockets.
The two relays are put in standby by the green button, the master switch kills all power to sockets they are working ok.

I had these a long time and was hoping to use them in the workshop.
Hope they are of interest.
Gezza123
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	socket 1.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	96081   Click image for larger version

Name:	socket 5.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	140.7 KB
ID:	96082   Click image for larger version

Name:	socket 6.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	136.4 KB
ID:	96083  
Old 12th Aug 2014, 5:56 pm   #11
emeritus
Dekatron

2 pin IEC rewireable shrouded plugs are listed in a 1983 Belling-Lee catalogue:

"L2398 2-pole reverse sex connector-rewireable".

Said to be available in Black only, although a white plug is shown in the catalogue.

The 2 pin IEC connectors are not common in the UK. The only piece of equipment I have ever seen fitted with one was an electric typewriter of German manufacture.

The mains lead that was fitted to my late brother-in-law's record deck in France, was a 2-core flex terminated in a moulded-on 3 pin IEC socket which had an aperture for the earth pin, but no earth contact. The record deck had the usual 3 pole IEC chassis plug and to the best of my recollection, had no connection to the earth pin. it was a Mission deck with a wooden plinth, so nothing much to earth other than the tone arm, but the arrangement seemed a bit suspect to me. I wonder if they had problems sourcing the 2 pin version?

Last edited by emeritus; 12th Aug 2014 at 6:09 pm.
Old 14th Aug 2014, 5:07 pm   #12
Nicklyons2
Octode

Those 2 pole symetrical connectors are nearly as rare as hens teeth. They were used on some 'midis', Revox B77s etc, and the odd (in every sense) portable sewing machine. Try getting one when you need one urgently and for less than a 'tenner'. I have 1 and it travels only rarely and never leaves my sight.
Old 14th Aug 2014, 5:50 pm   #13
emeritus
Dekatron

Rare indeed. Perhaps I should have added that the shrouded 2 pin plug and its corresponding chassis socket, for supplying power to class II eqipment, is the only 2 pin IEC connector listed in the BL catalogue. No 2 pin chassis plugs or free sockets, whether rewireable or moulded onto cable, are listed.
Old 14th Aug 2014, 8:33 pm   #14

With a bit of force you can get three IEC leads into one 13A plug, saves a lot of sockets. I have my leads just long enough too, makes it a lot tidier.

Old 18th Aug 2014, 5:32 am   #15
Billy T
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turretslug View Post
I've long regarded the BS1363 plug as a lumpen, awkward camel of a connector, its only saving grace being the internal fuse option.
Love the description! Personally speaking I didn't like them when I worked in the UK for a period (CES North Acton, circa 1973/4) and I've never reallly understood the need for a fused plug, unless UK house wiring and fault protection was the variable and that made the plug fuse the last line of defence.

They don't exist here in the antipodes and the lack of a fuse and not using old railway lines for pins makes for a compact and universal plug & socket format everywhere you go.

Cheers

Billy
Old 18th Aug 2014, 10:46 am   #16
threeseven
Octode

The fuse is to prevent overloading of the appliance cable and the appliance itself. The thinking being that with the ring main being protected at a relatively high current the circuit protection may permit excessive current to be possible in the appliance without popping the MCB, or fuse as it was originally. Thus possibly causing a fire.
Old 18th Aug 2014, 3:40 pm   #17
AC/HL
Dekatron

I agree, the fuse is there to protect the flex, because of the high current capabilities of our ring main architecture. The appliance is deemed to have it's own protection.

However, we're getting off topic here. This subject has been covered in previous threads.
Old 10th Oct 2014, 2:30 pm   #18
avocollector
Heptode

I envy you your sturdy UK mains fused 13 Amp plugs - we have daft light easily bent pin non-fused plugs here in NZ which are a real pain, easily broken by standing on and which will happily arc and burn your house down.

Last edited by Station X; 10th Oct 2014 at 3:42 pm. Reason: hose -> house
Closed Thread