UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 20th Jun 2015, 6:43 pm   #1
stuart_morgan_64
Heptode

Default BT Freeway 1980s cordless phone

Has anyone a circuit or experience repairing these. Thanks
Old 22nd Jun 2015, 4:54 pm   #2
stuart_morgan_64
Heptode

Default Re: BT Freeway 1980s cordless phone

Now found out they were made by Uniden
Old 22nd Jun 2015, 9:00 pm   #3
AndiiT
Octode

Hi, It's very unlikely that you will find a circuit for one of these (or any telephone produced much after the GPO 8746 etc.) as the circuit information was protected by most manufactures to a higher level than the Crown Jewels

What is the nature of the fault with your phone?, there may be someone in the forum who has experienced similar symptoms.

Regards

Andrew
Old 22nd Jun 2015, 10:41 pm   #4
McMurdo
Dekatron

I've repaired quite a few of these. Apart from the obvious, like faulty batteries or lightning damaged base stations, by far the most common fault was the main IC in the handset. This could be responsible for no ring tone in, no dial tone out, no dialling pulses, incorrect or random dialling and no doubt more I've not seen. As AndiIT has said they were made by Uniden and the main IC will say that on there too. I used to get the ICs from Intertan in the West Midlands....but that was nearly 20 years ago
Old 23rd Jun 2015, 9:41 am   #5
stuart_morgan_64
Heptode

Hya thanks for the help. I have repaired a few back in the day! The problem is what sounds like a tone. Similar to the paging tone, but higher. You can hear it on the handset, however if you turn the base off the tone goes.

I have narrowed it down to coming from one transistor, which I have replaced, its only on one junction, and is getting in via the audio which would be from the base phone connection. I use a telephone exchange simulator, which when plugged in the tone volume drops, maybe some sort of loading from the simulator.

Its works well, dial out, ringing ect, just this annoying tone.

Any help, even spotting the obvious would be most helpful.

Thanks
Closed Thread