UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 27th Mar 2015, 3:19 am   #1
Obmcclintock
Retired Dormant Member

Default Early Telephone with no induction coil?

I hope that someone here can help me with question that I have. I have an early phone that has no need of an induction coil. All it contains is the housing, the switch hook, and the receiver. There is no ringer. It works fine, loud and clear! I have looked within and find no components that differ from other similar sets with induction coils. I have never seen one without such a coil. I also have a vintage telephonist headset that terminates in a 2 prong plug instead of the 4 conductor type. I see nothing different with this headset except for the plug. When I apply battery to both the subset and the headset both transmitters an receivers work fine. Obvious there must be some different sort of transmitter or receiver in either sets that eliminate the need for an induction coil. Thank you for taking the time to respond, dave
Old 27th Mar 2015, 7:17 am   #2
dagskarlsen
Heptode

Default Re: Early Telephone with no induction coil?

Yes and no.
It is depending on the type of telephone. Some early telephones had a special receiver with integrated induction coil. (more than 2 wires to the receiver). More likely it may be one of the phones using a separate sub-set containing induction coil, ringer, capacitor (condenser) and sometimes an inductor (generator).

Pictures, and information of make and model may help us to be more specific.
This has been discussed in another forum: http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum
The book "Old Time Telephones!" by Ralph Meyer may solve "all your problems"

dsk
Old 27th Apr 2015, 8:30 pm   #3
Ryan_1993
Hexode

My GPO 150 Candlestick phone from what I remember has no induction coil, I bought it off eBay a few months back. I wasn't even expecting it to work as I only paid like £80 for it, so I extremely surprised to see that it came with a phone plug already attached plugged it in and it worked. No ring obviously, but other than that I can dial out and make calls etc.
Old 27th Apr 2015, 9:12 pm   #4
AC/HL
Dekatron

The induction coil is inside the bellset, which was a separate unit, presumably missing on yours.
Old 7th May 2015, 5:49 pm   #5
ThePillenwerfer
Octode

It is possible for a telephone to work without an induction coil, either by design or bodgery.

I've got a horrible Telephone Rentals thing which is designed without one.

- Joe
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Telephone Rentals.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	107934   Click image for larger version

Name:	TR CCT.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	107935  
Old 7th May 2015, 6:29 pm   #6
vosperd
Hexode

Blimey! Never thought I'd see one of those again. If it's the one I'm thinking of it replaced the 706 type as it was cheap. It was so light it moved away from you across the desk when you tried to dial. It was so bad that they were all dumped and replaced ad great expense with the 706.
Were they made by Plessey?
Don m5aky
Old 7th May 2015, 6:42 pm   #7
ThePillenwerfer
Octode

I suspect that one of mine at least is Ericson as the model number starts N2020.

- Joe
Old 7th May 2015, 7:29 pm   #8
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Thanks, for that circuit, Joe. Methinks it may be worth me sticking those three resistors and one capacitor* inside a candlestick telephone I have for which I don't have a corresponding bellset - after all, this doesn't really have space for an IC in the base (unless I use a mini one from a 700 series 'phone).

*C1A/B can, of course, be ignored if one is wiring for connection via a UK master socket.
Old 16th May 2015, 9:54 pm   #9
dagskarlsen
Heptode

You are right, it is made, I have some but sets with this diagram, but I hate the bad sound quality. It would be better with only a coil and a capacitor.

dsk
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bananadiagram_zpsdbea246e.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	108348   Click image for larger version

Name:	simple.png
Views:	147
Size:	10.5 KB
ID:	108349  
Old 16th May 2015, 10:06 pm   #10
Dave Moll
Dekatron

By moving the capacitor in your simple (second) circuit to the other side of the receiver, it is usable with a handset that has a common connection for transmitter and receiver.

How critical is the inductance value of the coil - which I appreciate is to provide a DC path to the transmitter?
Old 17th May 2015, 4:34 pm   #11
OscarFoxtrot
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePillenwerfer View Post
I've got a horrible Telephone Rentals thing which is designed without one.
Probably intended for use on a PBX with shorter lines, and with less exacting transmission standards than the GPO demanded.
Old 18th May 2015, 7:08 pm   #12
dagskarlsen
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Moll View Post
By moving the capacitor in your simple (second) circuit to the other side of the receiver, it is usable with a handset that has a common connection for transmitter and receiver.

How critical is the inductance value of the coil - which I appreciate is to provide a DC path to the transmitter?
Yes you may put the capacitor on the other side, the only idea of this is to block DC from receiver. 1 microfarad seems to be a minimum, depends on what you have and the room available.

The coil is not critical, the idea is to block for voice, and let DC come trough. The resistance should not be as high as it keeps the current under 25 mA. Usually a relay coil do the job. Some even use a resistor, but that may cause higher loss of voice in your own receiver.

I have even seen some skip it all, and just puts transmitter and receiver in series, the reason for not doing that are a tendency of weakening the receivers permanent magnet.

dsk
Old 18th May 2015, 9:18 pm   #13
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagskarlsen View Post
I have even seen some skip it all, and just puts transmitter and receiver in series, the reason for not doing that are a tendency of weakening the receivers permanent magnet.
Yes, I've always had drummed into me that it's not good to pass the DC (needed to power the transmitter) through the receiver for that very reason.
Old 30th May 2015, 10:06 am   #14
Pellseinydd
Heptode

I have a couple of GPO telephones for use on the public network which don't have an induction coil! A automatic candlestick Tele No 72 with Dial No 1 (made by ATM in 1913 when Epsom & HQ PABX were their only two auto exchanges) - used with a Bellset No 8 (no induction coil) and the wall version of the same Telephone - a Telephone No 55. They use a special version of the Bell Receiver which doesn't have a permanent magnet - it acts as an electro-magnet!

Plessey did produce the horrible cheap 'Plesseyphone' without the induction coil (Telephone Rentals bought much of their kit from Plessey at Beeston) but they also had a telephone which externally looked like a Tele 706 but inside was an induction coil-less circuit designed for use on PAXs. Cheaper to produce than a Tele706 but with other common parts - most were produced by Plessey's 'AEP' factory in Portugal.
Closed Thread