UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here)

Notices

Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here) If you have any useful general hints and tips for vintage technology repair and restoration, please share them here. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 13th Aug 2014, 8:55 am   #21
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Default Re: Bottle cutter

Hi Gents, I think paraffin is the recommended lubricant.
Note that there are now "diamond" coated bits available that will probably cut fasted and with less pressure.

Ed
Old 13th Aug 2014, 10:38 am   #22
emeritus
Dekatron

The original Mason Master bit that dad did buy, came with instructions on how to resharpen it. If you examine modern masonry bits, you will note that the tungsten carbide point has a negative rake. I assume they work by crushing the material rather than cutting it. Material is not removed by the leading edge of the point, but by the trailing edge, as it is the trailing edge that is in contact with the material. The narrow trailing edge removes brittle material such as cement or glass by crushing it to fine dust rather than getting under the surface layer and wedging it upwards as with a conventional twist drill. That is why high pressure and slow speed is advised.
Old 13th Aug 2014, 12:57 pm   #23
AC/HL
Dekatron

Moved to hints & tips, although the original post was a request.
Old 13th Aug 2014, 3:29 pm   #24
maninashed
Rest in Peace

To drill glass I use a small piece of adhesive tape stuck to the place I want to drill, it stops the drill sliding about and let's you get it started. I use an arrow shaped tile drill. Make a reservoir using putty or something similar, and fill will oil or water. Better to use a pillar drill, steady pressure and medium speed. Works for me.
Bill
Closed Thread