UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 28th May 2011, 10:13 am   #1
GMB
Dekatron

Default Telegraph inker - clockwork problems

Due to a minor malfunction the main spring of the clockwork motor has abruptly unwound itself - and now it won't wind up again.

I hope something hasn't broken as a result of this, but I don't know how main springs are usuallly attached to the outer cylinder. The problem is that it doesn't look like a trivial job to take it apart.

Is there any trick to getting it going again without disassembly?

Also, what sort of oil is right for the spring? (The clockwork drive seemed a bit un-powerful).
Old 29th May 2011, 7:37 pm   #2
woodchips
Octode

Default Re: Telegraph inker - clockwork problems

Borrow a book on clock repair from the library? If it is anything like a clock mainspring then it is powerful. Usually just a punched hole engaging with a small stud inside the barrel, the force of the spring outwards keeps it pressed against the stud. To remove you have to wind it up until it starts slipping then wiggle a hose clip over the spring to hold it wound. Have to admit that it isn't something I would do, really is quite dangerous. See if there is a local model engineering club with someone who makes clocks. Bob
Old 30th May 2011, 9:11 am   #3
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Default Re: Telegraph inker - clockwork problems

If the spring is large and powerful, it will need grease. Smaller ones need turret clock oil or a mixture of oil and grease.

This has to be done when the spring is cleaaned and removed from the barrel; not a trivial job and there's a certain amount of danger. It can be done manually (with gloves and goggles) but a mainspring winder is the best way.

It's quite possible that the problem is just that the arbor has been reversed and the inner coil of the spring no longer grips the arbor hook, in which case it's only necessary to remove the arbor and close up the inner spring end with pliers.

If you were nearer I would be glad to sort it for you, so FCS if all else fails?