UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 7th Apr 2011, 8:31 am   #1
knocklyon35
Retired Dormant Member

Default 746 tinkling & not dialling/connecting

Hi,

Have converted a 746 - and all seemed well, incoming calls okay, nice loud ring but getting a dial tone but when dialling - nothing, just the ring tone. I noticed there is a small block with a blue, grey and brown wire just under handset mounting. Not connected to resistors or anything - it's not connected as I wasn't sure what it was for and even if it should be connected Either way, just looking for advice on how to get the 'phone to dial, please!

The rotary dial is fine, it's not slow so that doesnt seem to be the prob. I've attached photos.

Any help appreciated. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SV106147.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	49189   Click image for larger version

Name:	SV106148.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	49190   Click image for larger version

Name:	SV106149.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	49191   Click image for larger version

Name:	SV106150.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	49192  
Old 7th Apr 2011, 10:47 am   #2
twocvbloke
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: 746 tinkling & not dialling/connecting

Doesn't look fully converted under the bonnet to me, the 3.3k resistor between T4 and T5 is not present, just a link, I tried that with my 746 and it wouldn't ring, you may want to refer to here for instructions on a full and proper conversion:

http://www.britishtelephones.com/pstconv1.htm#700

That additional microswitch is interesting, I almost thought it was the hookswitch, but that is on the opposite side, I'm no expert with modified and adapted GPO phones so I'll leave that to the experts...
Old 7th Apr 2011, 10:53 am   #3
twocvbloke
Retired Dormant Member

Oh, and the dialling issue may be down to being connected to an exchange that no longer supports Loop-Disconnect (Pulse) dialling, the only solution to that is using your own phone system that can do the LD-DTMF conversion or the Rotatone converter...
Old 7th Apr 2011, 1:48 pm   #4
AndiiT
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by knocklyon35 View Post
..... I noticed there is a small block with a blue, grey & brown wire just under handset mounting.....
This is nothing more than an auxiliary gravity switch used with some extension plan installations, you could either remove it completely or terminate the leads on tags T11 through T13 which are spare.

Lack of the 3K3 resistor is unlikely to cause bell tinkle but it is perhaps best to fit on in place of straps T4 - T5 in order to prevent any issues with high REN if using other telephones/calling devices connected to the same line.

Regarding the dialling problem, if the dial is fast enough (as you say it is) it may be that your exchange does not accept pulse dialling but this is rarer than is commonly suggested.
Another possibility is that the exchange is just a bit fussy about correct dial speed tolerance which could be the case if your line is provided by one of the legacy cable companies (Telewest, Diamond Cable etc.) which are all now owned by Virgin Media.

You do mention that when you dial you get ring tone returned which seems a bit confusing as that is what should happen! (presuming that you have dialled a valid number) do you mean dial tone? ;as in during dialling you are unable to "break" the dial tone.

It may be that the dial is not wired correctly for some reason and the presence of the extra gravity switch does suggest that the phone may have been put to use in a non-standard application at some time in its lifetime.

Looking at your picture does the orange lead from the dial connect to T8?, it is difficult to tell from the angle that the lead is laying at.

Regards
Andrew

Last edited by AndiiT; 7th Apr 2011 at 1:50 pm. Reason: additional information about dial wiring
Old 23rd Apr 2011, 4:05 am   #5
Chipmunk
Triode

Quick question, are you using individual DSL filters with each phone? This will cause bell tinkle with loop disconnect phones as it breaks the ringing wire and prevents the bells being shunted.
Closed Thread