UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here)

Notices

Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here) If you have any useful general hints and tips for vintage technology repair and restoration, please share them here. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 21st Aug 2007, 10:27 am   #1
Mersey_Swimmer
Retired Dormant Member

Default Solder

For some time now I've been using "modern" solders with new-fangled fluxes and have never been really happy with the quality of the resulting joints - 'orrible, dull, pasty efforts which in my younger days would have been dismissed as dry. I've been in this game for over 40 years so should have just about mastered the art of soldering and anyway I use a temperature-controlled soldering station.

So today I took the plunge and shelled out for a large reel of good old fashioned genuine "Multicore" 60/40 solder with standard rosin flux. Hopefully this will mean a return to nice, shiny joints that I can see my reflection in.

Hopefully, as maintenance work is RoHS exempt "proper" solder will remain on the market for the foreseeable future. Has anyone else had problems with modern solders? I've heard that there can be problems of compatibility with solder already present in the joint.

Pete

Last edited by Mersey_Swimmer; 21st Aug 2007 at 10:35 am.
Old 21st Aug 2007, 10:40 am   #2
BlakeW
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Solder

I've never actually worked with modern solders (EDIT: by this i mean soldering components onto a board with it); we only have the old 60/40. But i've had a heck of a time desoldering components that have the modern solder.
Old 21st Aug 2007, 10:45 am   #3
Station X

I made a point of buying large quantities of 60/40 solder when it was rumoured that it was being withdrawn. It's often on special offer from the big suppliers.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 21st Aug 2007, 12:18 pm   #4
jim_jobe
Heptode

Will "modern" soldering irons still work with 60/40 solder? I've got plenty of solder but wonder what will happen when my iron gives up the ghost or I have to replace the bit.
Jim
Old 21st Aug 2007, 12:22 pm   #5
Brian R Pateman
Nonode

A decent temperatur controlled soldering iron or soldering station should be fine with the "proper" 60/40 or this nasty healthy new fangled stuff.

My aging Antex units cope OK at any rate.

Regards,
Old 21st Aug 2007, 12:46 pm   #6
kalee20
Dekatron

I am Technical Director of a company which makes many products for the aerospace industry. Lots of our customers are exempt from any change to solder (goind lead-free) and they are using their exemption. Others are actively going lead-free.

We find that lead-free solder erodes bits much faster than the trusty 60/40. We keep separate irons for leaded and lead-free (we also use high melting point, 93.5% lead, 5% tin, 1.5% silver but apart from raising the temperature of a temperatire-controlled iron to 400 deg C there's no compatibility problem here with the soldering iron).

The nicest solders to work with are definitely the 60/40 and 63/37, you can make a joint you can see your reflection in! Rosin flux also seems best - but don't breathe the fumes. There shouldn't be any need to worry about the bits for your iron - if they are designed for lead-free soldere, there will be heavier-duty plating to them, and there may be a cost increase - but they'll work fine with leaded.
Old 21st Aug 2007, 1:00 pm   #7
XTC
Retired Dormant Member

I've found the lead-free solder doesn't flow as well as 60/40 and is better with a slightly higher temperature. If you use lead-free with 60/40 soldered joints for repairs, you're going to end up with an alloy of random ratio.

Lead-free solder was discussed at length a year or two back and the question of stocking up on 60/40 was gone into.

It turned out that the directive really applied to mass produced consumer electronics. There were lots of exceptions for military equipment, medical equipment, telecomms equipment and so on. I emailed a couple of solder manufacturers and their line was that they were going to make 60/40 as long as there was a demand for it - at least some years to come.

That said, I've stocked up on 60/40.

If you are going to have a large reel of solder to last years, it's probably best to keep it in cling film and take smaller reels off when you need them. The smaller reels are handier and the main stock will tarnish less.

Pete.
Old 3rd Sep 2007, 1:01 pm   #8
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Hi
As a repairer, I was advised to use lead-free for all sets we take in. The reasoning here was that, since it melts at a higher temperature, a good joint would be assured. I disagreed, especially when a joint I'd reworked came back having virtually fallen off the board! Currently I only use lead-free on a PCB marked as such. I find if you use the lead-free solder with a silver component it flows quite well and needs a relatively low temperature. The downside is bit wear, and also the PCB you are working on will probably have used conventional lead-free and need a higher temperature. Also, the joints look awful as Pete's discovered.
Luckily, I think we may be all right with the supply problem!
Glyn
Old 21st Oct 2007, 10:54 am   #9
Chris55000
Nonode

Hi!

One quite good solder I use, both on wired and PCB construction is CPC Stock Code SW00074 - this is a Multicomp 60/40 Halide Free Clear Flux type, which I use because normal rosin-core flux sets my asthma off!

Chris Williams
Old 29th Oct 2007, 10:55 pm   #10
jgj6331
Retired Dormant Member

Chris,

Quite interesting - when I was younger, inhaling the smoke of rosin-core flux would cause me to wheeze too. This has not happened for many years now - but there was a definite connection.

Bill
Old 30th Oct 2007, 1:01 am   #11
PJL
Dekatron

I recently picked up a box of 1920's homebrew radio bits&pieces and amongst it was some solder - a block of metal in a box!
Old 30th Oct 2007, 4:05 pm   #12
jgj6331
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJL View Post
I recently picked up a box of 1920's homebrew radio bits&pieces and amongst it was some solder - a block of metal in a box!
Perhaps coincidence - blocks like that were used in sealing seams in metal roofs and sealing plumbing joints - there was a small pot (heated by a modified blowlamp) and the melted solder was dipped from it.

As for the 'lead-free' products - I bought 2 spools very cheaply at a radio boot sale and was pleased with my purchase until I attempted to use it. It takes a bit more heat to melt and really doesn't flow well. When it solidifies, it has a dull appearance that resembles a "cold" solder joint. I really can't trust the stuff and had to purchase a new spool of the 'leaded' variety.

Last edited by jgj6331; 30th Oct 2007 at 4:12 pm.
Old 30th Oct 2007, 6:26 pm   #13
kalee20
Dekatron

Lead-free solder is not easy to use, if you make a joint with it the only way to get it nice is to be sure it is totally lead free. A small amount of lead is really bad news, it makes the joint dull and brittle. The lead present in the solder coating on a component lead is enough to upset things even though it may account for less than 1% of the total metal in the joint. This could be the reason for your problems, jgj6331.

Once you get above about 5% lead, things get better. So, if in doubt, use leaded solder.
Old 30th Oct 2007, 8:21 pm   #14
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgj6331 View Post
When it solidifies, it has a dull appearance that resembles a "cold" solder joint. I really can't trust the stuff...
I opened up new Vestel-sourced Freeview box today. It's really nicely made, but the soldering is shocking, all the joints look dry. But I think that's normal for lead-free. Distinguishing a bad joint by eye is virtually impossible.
Old 30th Oct 2007, 9:57 pm   #15
dominicbeesley
Octode

I've been using it on and off for a while and I too thought I was doing something wrong due to the cruddy dull finish of the joints. However I'm assured by those in the know that that is how they are supposed to appear. Not had one fail yet though for soldering some bigger items I've had to resort to poking in a bit of normal 60/40 along with the lead free. Not sure what effect that has (other than lowering the melting point a little).
Closed Thread