UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Clubs, Groups and Societies

Notices

Clubs, Groups and Societies For discussions about various clubs, groups and societies relating to our hobbies, such as the BVWS (incl RetroTechUK), BATC, RSGB, APTS, CLPGS, THG, TCC, BECG, MCR21 etc. This is NOT an official forum for any of these organisations.

View Poll Results: Are you a BVWS member, and could you help
Member 20 60.61%
Non - member 11 33.33%
Sure, I can help, what needs doing? 15 45.45%
Sorry, too busy to even think about it! 6 18.18%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 7th Feb 2006, 7:38 pm   #1
Sean Williams
Dekatron

Default Helping the BVWS with new projects

As suggested in other threads "Why does the BVWS not do this? "

Well, ok, given that this is not a landing ground for the whole BVWS committee, and our comments and suggestions are not endorsed by them, I felt we ought to discuss stuff we would like to HELP the BVWS achieve.

Really, it is simple, the current Committee has a finite amount of time and resources to carry out its current obligations, all done on a voluntary basis, so the only way we could see the sort of projects mentioned on this forum, is to approach the current Committee with an idea, and of course the manpower to carry the project through.

I am quite happy to help the society in these sort of projects, and I would suggest that there are some more of us out there that could offer some time as well.

I have included a poll to find out how many of us are BVWS members, and how many of those would be willing to help out.

So, Come on Mr Chairman, the offer is here lets really see what needs to be done, and if we have any volunteers here....
Old 7th Feb 2006, 10:41 pm   #2
Brian R Pateman
Nonode

Default Re: Wander plugs?

I would love to get more involved with BVWS, but due to isolation (on the coast of West Cumbria) and working a 48 hour week at the moment it is difficult to make time for meetings. Bear in mind that from here it's an hour and a half to the M6 and a long way south to the area where most members are situated. If there's anything I can do at a distance just ask.

I would feel as though I was letting people down if I took on a commitment I couldn't keep!

Regards,

Sorry probably should be in the later posting re membership / willingness to help!

Last edited by Brian R Pateman; 7th Feb 2006 at 10:48 pm. Reason: Possibly OT, moderators feel free to move.
Old 8th Feb 2006, 1:19 pm   #3
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Default Re: Helping the BVWS with new projects

I would like to echo the thoughts of Brian above - I live in the same general area (probably about twenty miles away). Although I am only in part-time employment, I still seem to lack time (and at this time of year, energy).

Within my limitations, I would be happy to become more involved in any help I can give to the committee that does not involve travelling long distances. I'm not quite sure what I can help with, but I would happily look at any list of tasks needed and respond to any with which I feel that I can help. I don't think this quite matches up with either box 3 or box 4 in the poll.
Old 8th Feb 2006, 5:35 pm   #4
Sean Williams
Dekatron

I dont think that geographical location is an issue really - it just depends on the tasks that need to be done.

I'm not suggesting that anyone join the BVWS committee in an official role, however, i'm sure volunteers that want to would be welcomed, just the offer of some help for specific tasks on a one off basis woul ease the load on every one else.

I speak from experience as I am on three committees already, as well as working 60 hours a week!

So, the responses look good so far, lets see how many willing volunteers will actually show their faces!

Cheers
Sean

Oh. I have no current connections with the Comittee, and I am running this thread without consulting the management.......
Old 8th Feb 2006, 6:38 pm   #5
Paul Stenning
Administrator

So far in the poll we have six who can help and two who can't. That is an impressive percentage (75%)!

Whenever there has been an appeal in the BVWS Bulletin for volunteers, which is seen by all 1800 members, we are met with silence. In this thread in a couple of days we already have more people who have said they will help (albeit in an anonymous poll) than have responded to the last three years worth of appeals in the bulletin.

The question is why?

Why do the people who have expressed a willingness to get involved here not made that extra step and made themselves known to the committee? This question is not questioning the integrity of the people who have voted YES here. It is asking what is preventing people actually making that offer. We need to now because if there is a procedural problem or other concern that is preventing people stepping forward, we need to know about it so we can do something about it.

If you have voted YES here, please let us know whether you were also tempted to offer your services when appeals appear in the bulletin, and what stopped you from doing so.

Thanks!

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 8th Feb 2006, 7:17 pm   #6
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Why do people say yes here in the forum?

Possibly because the forum has an immediacy that the Bulletin does not. Do people really read and absorb everything in the Bulletin? I know there have been appeals made at Harpenden etc but these reach perhaps 300 people maximum.

I haven't completed the poll myself because I am still actively doing things for the BVWS. Although I have not served on the committee for about 2 years I am still organising the "Talking about Wireless" series of talks at Harpenden.

Sean is definitely an active do-er. At one recent Harpenden I collared him to help with the Talking About Wireless session. His help was invaluable. I have also seen him organising an amateur radio event in Hertfordshire. I'm sure that's just a fraction of what he does.
Old 8th Feb 2006, 7:50 pm   #7
Steve_P
Dekatron

I'd help more but can't due to health problems. I suppose I could read proofs or something if needed.

Cheers,

Steve P.
Old 8th Feb 2006, 8:21 pm   #8
Paul Stenning
Administrator

I wonder when appeals are seen in the bulletin, people assume someone else will volunteer so don't bother themselves?

Even if 1% of members volunteered, that would be about 18 people, which is double the members of the existing committee.

Paul Stenning
Old 8th Feb 2006, 9:52 pm   #9
Richard
Heptode

Hi

In response to some of above

I have been a member for about 11 years.

I have seen requests for articles in the bulletin, and for committee members, and for help/money for Gerry's roof, but not that I remember for help.

I live in South Wales, work full time 50hrs+, and am renovating house, and so never have any spare time or money.

I would make a lousy committee member, and have not even managed to get to an event for the last 4 yrs.

I did start writing notes on the restoration of my Ekco AD36, but that was over 4 years ago and it no where near finished.

What can I do from here?

I have computer, scanner, CD writer etc
I would happily proof read, but looking at the bulletin that is already very well covered.

Having started this reply, I am not sure I have helped, all a bit pathetic really..........................

Richard.
Old 8th Feb 2006, 11:27 pm   #10
Photo_Tube
Retired Dormant Member

I've already offered help with Peter's (Aka DoctorWho) archive TV footage project and just waiting for him to get back with his discussion with Mike. Does the BVWS need help in any other areas ? Like Richard I've only seen requests for articles in the Bulletin (Fine - should be some sent this year ) cant recall actual requests for volunteers though.

As for the commitee (Its been mentioned before) I always thought you had to go through a formal election process to join, I dont know any BVWS members personally who could support the application to join as ordinary member for example - I know Jon was co-opted recently but thought that was an exception.

Last edited by Photo_Tube; 8th Feb 2006 at 11:32 pm.
Old 9th Feb 2006, 8:21 am   #11
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photo_Tube
I know Jon was co-opted recently but thought that was an exception.
When I first joined the committee about 8 years ago I was co-opted as an ordinary member before becoming Treasurer. Jeremy Day was co-opted as Harpenden Organiser and later moved to Treasurer. I think that Paul Stenning was co-opted though I'm not absolutely certain. Likewise Grahm Terry as membership secretary. I'm not sure that anyone has actually been elected to the committee in recent years without having been co-opted first. This may not be good democracy but it seems to be a fact of life.
Old 9th Feb 2006, 1:46 pm   #12
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi Gents, the results look encouraging, but I think there may be some provisos for those of us living a distance from the south. Anything to be "done " will have to be by electronic means!

Good luck, Ed
Old 9th Feb 2006, 5:19 pm   #13
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

I have only been a member for a year or so, and I have ticked the 'yes' box.
I think that the answer to Paul's question was something like needing to lurk for a while before doing anything of this sort, and not really knowing what was needed; when this popped up on the forum, I could not really have refused.
Given, as well, that my spare time is limited, and I am not darn sarf, so all communication would have to be via email.
I am looking forward to seeing what sort of things are required.
Old 9th Feb 2006, 7:41 pm   #14
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_Dinning
Hi Gents, the results look encouraging, but I think there may be some provisos for those of us living a distance from the south. Anything to be "done " will have to be by electronic means!

Good luck, Ed
This is certainly an area the BVWS have been addressing over the last couple of years, to get away from the need to be within driving distance of the south-east to get involved with committee business.

Four of our six committee meetings each year will now take place by conference phone call. Not only is this much more convenient for people in any part of the country, it is also a lot cheaper (even allowing for the cost of the conference facility with 0800 numbers) than paying mileage and expenses for getting everyone to a single venue.

For committee discussions between meetings there is a committee email list (emails to it go to all committee members) and there is also a "BVWS Committee Discussions" section on this forum which only the committee can see and access. The email tends to be used for things requiring a more rapid response and even for voting on items, whereas the forum section is used more for progress updates and general ongoing discussions.

Often committee members take on a specific task or role that they can do in their own time and at their own homes (such as Jon Evans creating the DVD that will be sent out shortly). They report progress at committee meetings and when necessary. It is actually quite rare for two or more committee members to be working on the same thing together.

So I think we are moving in the right direction. Obviously there is always more we can do, which is why I am asking for your thoughts in this thread.

The next committee meeting is next week (16th Feb) and I will certainly be raising the points made in this thread then. So this is an excellent time to say what would encourage you to get more involved.

Paul Stenning
Old 9th Feb 2006, 7:56 pm   #15
Sam
Hexode

I have just voted, and have had to say 'Sorry, too busy'. I would like to get involved, but at the moment it is impractical. I am just finishing up my degree, and then it is off into the big wide world and a job as 'the new bloke'. Can't see me having huge ammounts of leisure time for a while yet!

Sam
Old 9th Feb 2006, 8:01 pm   #16
Sean Williams
Dekatron

Well Paul,

For me it would have to be as I have suggested, a list of possible tasks that need to be done, or a specific task that I would be able to help achieve - I am happy to try my hand at most things, but I do have an aversion to paperwork!

As I have said before, if anyone needs help they just need to ask!

Cheers
Sean
Old 9th Feb 2006, 8:04 pm   #17
Sean Williams
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam
I have just voted, and have had to say 'Sorry, too busy'. I would like to get involved, but at the moment it is impractical. I am just finishing up my degree, and then it is off into the big wide world and a job as 'the new bloke'. Can't see me having huge ammounts of leisure time for a while yet!

Sam
Hi Sam,

Studies and employment always come before hobbies!, the fact that you would like to get involved, but are currently too busy, shows a lot more interest than no response at all!

Cheers
Sean
Old 9th Feb 2006, 8:34 pm   #18
Photo_Tube
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1ecy
Well Paul,

For me it would have to be as I have suggested, a list of possible tasks that need to be done, or a specific task that I would be able to help achieve - I am happy to try my hand at most things, but I do have an aversion to paperwork!

As I have said before, if anyone needs help they just need to ask!

Cheers
Sean
Agreed if the BVWS needs help just ask (No problem with paperwork) even though my spare time is taken with other things - I will always allocate some time to the BVWS.

Last edited by Photo_Tube; 9th Feb 2006 at 8:35 pm. Reason: missing word
Old 9th Feb 2006, 10:43 pm   #19
stevekendal
Heptode

Must admit, I've hardly noticed the appeals in the bulletin. Too busy admiring the tasty radios that others have restored ! Geographically too far away, but if there's anything I can do from here... Steve.
Old 10th Feb 2006, 12:27 am   #20
Radio_Doctor
Pentode

I guess you could summarise alot of the responses as "distant but interested". I wonder if one solution from this may be:

1) Projects / ideas go through BVWS committee (either self generating or via this forum)
2) Following tweaking / approval come back here for volunteers

I for one would not be able to give regular commitment (60+ hours work and 3 children under 3). If there was a project which touched upon a particular area of interest for me I would dearly love to be involved. Good examples of this would be the BBC number database -as exists, or single manufacture work (eg. Murphy / Bush /Ekco etc.). Any thoughts?

Kneale
Closed Thread