UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 15th Dec 2018, 2:27 am   #1
cjacek2000
Tetrode

Question Is it OK to oil this motor?

Hi,
I've got this 30 year old JVC HR-S5500 VCR that I'm going through, cleaning it up etc.. My question is very quick and simple: Is it OK to put a drop of instrument oil into the base of the capstan motor shaft (just below the c-clip)? **I have attached a photo of the exact motor and also instrument oil used**. There is no mention of oiling the motor in the service manual but, even if it doesn't need oiling, anything wrong with putting a drop in there anyway for the hell of it? Thanks!
Dan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pu60201v-video-capstan-motor-137471-9756.jpg
Views:	328
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	174634   Click image for larger version

Name:	02_X10S-25C_2.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	174635   Click image for larger version

Name:	02_X10S-25C.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	174636  
Old 15th Dec 2018, 2:52 am   #2
Refugee
Dekatron

Default Re: Is it OK to oil this motor?

It looks like a sealed ball bearing.
The oil will just attract dust and not go through the seal into the bearing.
Old 15th Dec 2018, 11:05 am   #3
1100 man
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjacek2000 View Post
Is it OK to put a drop of instrument oil into the base of the capstan motor shaft (just below the c-clip)?
NO!! As Refugee says, the bearing is not designed to be lubricated. All that will happen is oil will find it's way up the capstan shaft and contaminate the pinch roller and your tapes. Then you'll be in a fine mess!

So long as it turns nice and smoothly with no roughness or noise, it will be just fine as it is. If the bearing is 'rough' it can be replaced.

All the best
Nick
Old 15th Dec 2018, 12:44 pm   #4
poppydog
Banned

It must have had some sort of lubricant in the very beginning, regardless of what heat process was used in construction. The bearing is now 30yrs old, think how many revolutions the bearing has made over the years..
Poppydog
Old 15th Dec 2018, 7:38 pm   #5
Refugee
Dekatron

The bearing is sealed for life with lubricant added prior to sealing.
If it sounds rough it can be measured up and a new bearing ordered on line. There is usually a part number stamped on the part that can be typed into the search box on almost all bearing stockists websites.
Old 15th Dec 2018, 8:06 pm   #6
Red to black
Nonode

Going against opinions so far, as the bearing part looks like it can be removed I would say yes go for it, just be sure to clean the capstan shaft/spindle thoroughly afterwards.
Although those bearings (sintered most likely) are meant to be maintenance free/sealed for life we did have lubrication kits available at the time consisting of amongst other things sintered bearing oil, and we often were required to (on some machines, Hitachi and Matsui amongst others) do this from time to time.
I personally used pipe cleaners soaked in said oil for this very task, after stripping down said motor.
Old 15th Dec 2018, 8:35 pm   #7
poppydog
Banned

I'm confused, is that a ball bearing in that housing or some sort of bronze bush with a seal on top? The sintered has confused me.
poppydog
Old 15th Dec 2018, 8:38 pm   #8
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Remove circlip I think for access. I'm sure I have had these to bits and lubricated them in the past ,I do not think the oil can rise past the clip.
Old 15th Dec 2018, 9:06 pm   #9
1100 man
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
I'm confused, is that a ball bearing in that housing or some sort of bronze bush with a seal on top? The sintered has confused me.
poppydog
It's a sealed miniature ball race with the lubricant inserted at manufacture. They are not designed to be oiled. Some capstan motors had a sintered phosphor- bronze bush at the top. These did require lubrication. To prevent oil creeping up the shaft, there was a tight fitting plastic collar over the shaft above the bush.

We used to regularly change head drum bearings in timelapse VCR's but capstan bearings hardly ever. They turn very slowly and don't tend to wear very much. I would doubt if there is anything wrong with this one.
By the way, there will be two such bearings in the whole assembly to prevent sideways movement of the shaft. The second one will be further down inside the motor.

Cheers
Nick

Last edited by 1100 man; 15th Dec 2018 at 9:13 pm.
Old 15th Dec 2018, 9:18 pm   #10
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Thank you for correction Nick.
Old 16th Dec 2018, 12:44 pm   #11
cjacek2000
Tetrode

Wow, great replies, thank you very much to all. I won't be risking it and will leave the motor alone, especially that nothing will penetrate anyway in a "sealed" type.
Old 16th Dec 2018, 1:15 pm   #12
poppydog
Banned

I misread 1100mans comment in post 3, I thought he meant the bearing is a dry bearing which I found hard to believe, hence my comment. I blame my poundland glasses
poppydog
Old 22nd Dec 2018, 2:32 pm   #13
Maarten
Dekatron

Some capstan bearings are too soft and subject to wear, but I don't think JVC suffered from this.
Old 22nd Dec 2018, 7:50 pm   #14
Philips210
Nonode

Hi

From my distant VCR repair days, I remember the Ferguson 3V35 and Hitachi VT520 capstan motors suffered from noisy bearings after a few years use.

The old Hitachi VT8000 etc and some G deck Panasonics could suffer from noisy drum bearings.

Regards
Symon
Old 23rd Dec 2018, 1:57 am   #15
Maarten
Dekatron

I think I remember now that it was certain Sanyo models suffering from bad capstan bearings. They even sold nylon replacements.
Old 23rd Dec 2018, 12:14 pm   #16
samjmann
Heptode

Just to add to the 'debate' We had a small epidemic of Direct Drive capstan motors on Hitachi VCR's failing around 6 months after a clean and service. What was happening was that cleaning fluid ran down the capstan and into the top of the bearing, then after time this thinned the trapped oil and the bearing ran tight. The customer then complained of the machine not starting or running slow. Be careful as you clean the shaft that you don't let any cleaner into the bearing, it takes months for problems to show!

As for capstan bearings not wearing, didn't anyone have the misfortune to work on the Philips DMP (Charley) deck? The capstan flywheel bearing lasted no time at all on those decks. SJM
Old 23rd Dec 2018, 12:24 pm   #17
cjacek2000
Tetrode

Quote:
Originally Posted by samjmann View Post
Be careful as you clean the shaft that you don't let any cleaner into the bearing, it takes months for problems to show!
That's actually what had me worried at first 'cause I thought I had squeezed out the excess 99.9% alcohol on the tip of the cotton q-tip that I was using to clean the capstan shaft but then realized I had not (I normally do). I was afraid the excess had got itself into the bearing but I could not of course be sure of that. Hopefully the high 99.9% alcohol content evaporated quickly and that the motor's "sealed" environment didn't allow any of the liquid to penetrate into the bearing. It was a one time affair so I hope I didn't do any damage.
Old 23rd Dec 2018, 12:41 pm   #18
samjmann
Heptode

The chances are that the motor will be OK. Our engineers were at the time using a small piece of chamois leather soaked in alcohol to clean stubborn deposits off the shafts. No doubt in a rush some probably used more cleaner than was required and a fair amount went 'south' into the bearing. If you've only used a tiny amount I wouldn't worry. JVC decks were very well put together. SJM.
Closed Thread