UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Dec 2018, 2:18 pm   #81
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.
Default Re: Redundant DAB sets?

I think I'm somewhere in the middle re the future and the past about listening to radio and AI but of course that's where we are all located throughout our lives anyway. I did put a DAB title on this thread but it really originates with Alexa use as described in Mr Meir's article. So I don't think we are OT in any way Andrew, if you take that into account.

I've been very interested in all the views expressed. Your dad sounds like my mother Scimitar [ie against anything new until she got it]. Thanks for the tech input. In terms of dramatisations, nearly everything is always assumed to be voice operated going back decades in Science Fiction [which isn't really SF if it's happening now] but people don't usually ask for "Radio 4 please Hal". I quite liked the future society in the heartbreaking Flipside of Dominic Hyde [essential viewing] as dull as that existence seems but I suspect that we are heading for Blade Runner levels of AI and more in the end.

Dave W

Last edited by dave walsh; 13th Dec 2018 at 2:25 pm.
Old 13th Dec 2018, 4:52 pm   #82

Quote:
I have no desire to use a voice operated gadget
I find it very creepy and disturbing, rather "tune into" something without a back feed.

Old 13th Dec 2018, 8:11 pm   #83
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerhifinut View Post
I'm waiting for one of the clever boffins on here to design a simple to build "pantry transmitter" or set top adaptor for DAB and DAB+, seems like a good idea to me and no doubt it could be configured to transmit at the full bitrate feasible on DAB.
It's been done.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/0...to_the_masses/

but I really doubt it will ever become the 21st-century version of the 1990s/2000s FM-band pirates delivering Jungle, Rap and Hip-Hop to the masses using 100-watt transmitters and collinear antennas from the tops of urban tower-blocks.
Old 13th Dec 2018, 8:20 pm   #84

Quote:
but I really doubt it will ever become the 21st-century version of the 1990s/2000s FM-band pirates
Not much need now with internet streaming, that brings another problem lots of bad stations rather than a few not so bad (or even quite good) ones.

Old 13th Dec 2018, 11:29 pm   #85
Jonster
Heptode

I am a big fan of IP delivered radio, and firmly believe it will soon surpass DAB, a lot quicker than many folks think.

I recently drove from Eastbourne to Aylesbury and back, listening to a radio station with a 128k stream via the TuneIn app on my phone connected to my cars sound system and had not one dropout on the whole journey. Try doing that with DAB!

Early next year Amazon will launch the Alexa based 'Echo Auto', a system about the size of a box of Swan Vestas designed to interface with car audio systems using connectivity and GPS information from your phone. If you are in an area with good data coverage and a phone plan that includes enough of it, this will blow DAB out of the water.
Old 14th Dec 2018, 12:41 am   #86
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonster View Post
I recently drove from Eastbourne to Aylesbury and back, listening to a radio station with a 128k stream via the TuneIn app on my phone connected to my cars sound system and had not one dropout on the whole journey. Try doing that with DAB!
I regularly travel Wigan to Suffolk, DAB all the way without a problem, when I get to my destination DAB is working but mobile phone signals are very patchy. FM drops in and out on the journey, BBC stations being more consistent in reception on FM.

It all depends on location, some are better with FM, some DAB, some with Mobile signals and unfortunately some with none.
Old 14th Dec 2018, 1:59 am   #87
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

It may well be the case that DAB's days are indeed numbered, but the DAB in my car also seems to do pretty well in maintaining connections while on the move. As above, location and the aerial on the car can have a lot to do with it.

B
Old 14th Dec 2018, 2:43 am   #88
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

I've experimented with DAB on the train journey from Bexhill to Manchester but it didn't seem very good at all. Radio 4 on my ancient VHF portable drops out for at least a third or more of the trip. Perhaps I should get a modern phone with the app Jonster mentioned?

Dave
Old 14th Dec 2018, 8:45 am   #89
stitch1
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonster View Post
I am a big fan of IP delivered radio, and firmly believe it will soon surpass DAB, a lot quicker than many folks think.

Early next year Amazon will launch the Alexa based 'Echo Auto', a system about the size of a box of Swan Vestas designed to interface with car audio systems using connectivity and GPS information from your phone. If you are in an area with good data coverage and a phone plan that includes enough of it, this will blow DAB out of the water.
I agree that internet will surpass DAB but I don’t think it will be quick and I expect in cars the access will be via the inbuilt mobile SIM card (which many have now) rather than relying on individuals devices and data package.

I suspect that DAB coverage currently has better coverage than the 4G network. I travel long distances about once a week, Glasgow, Manchester, Lincoln Birmingham etc always in a new(ish) hire car, and I’ve never had the same one twice! ... one of the first things I do is set up the DAB radio and I’ve never experienced any reception problems.
Some cars have the technology to follow the station between DAB and FM where it’s available on both, this could also be an option as we move from DAB to internet.
It will never be perfect for everyone, my sister lives in the highlands she can’t get FM, a decent phone signal or internet connection but of course changes will be driven my the majority and some will be left behind.

New technology is coming think and fast but I’m still listening to AM on radios that are over 50 years old

John
Old 14th Dec 2018, 9:33 am   #90
Scimitar
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by stitch1 View Post
. one of the first things I do is set up the DAB radio and I’ve never experienced any reception problems.
One black hole that I know of is between J13 and 15 on the M5. I also lose DAB right outside my house, not that it is likely to worry you.
Old 14th Dec 2018, 11:20 am   #91
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Location: 1966-1976 Coverack in Cornwall and Helston Cornwall. 1976-present Bristol/Bath area.

I still do most of my listening on AM/FM both at home on radios ranging in age from 52 to 20 years old and they are still going strong. Both our cars are fitted with AM/FM radios, one car is only 3 years old!, so it goes without saying that most of our listening is via good old analogue.
I do have a few DAB radios but find they do not last well. I have now got a Philips, Roberts and a Pure all less than 10 years old and on the scrap heap ready to be disposed of.
My findings on battery life for portable radios matches that of what has been said here. For analogue only portable radios with a good set of alkaline batteries you can get 80-100 hours running time, but on FM/DAB radios you are lucky to get 10-20 hours. The instruction books for my Roberts Play and Stream 107 do advise that the batteries last longer on DAB than on FM.
Finally audio quality. FM I find to be the best as long as you have a decent signal. DAB is ok on stations that use 128Kb's or mono 80Kb's as long as you are not to critical. But this is where things get interesting. On my better and older analogue radios the sound quality of AM stations is actually as good as or better than DAB.
Old 14th Dec 2018, 8:35 pm   #92
dglcomp
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nymrod121 View Post
During a tropospheric 'lift' on Band II some weeks ago, I resurrected an early Woolworth's DAB/FM set. It had been in the top of a bedroom cupboard for over four years. Relocating it to the workshop for testing, to my surprise (and joy) I found that the FM section was equipped with an RDS decoder ... very handy for identifying the likes of 'France Bleu Armorique' from Rennes

Guy
Something that is a slight annoyance on the newer LIDL under counter kitchen radios, they may have RDS but for time synchronisation only, older versions had it for both time AND station name display.

As for DAB+, the original UK version of the Roberts Solar DAB 2 only had DAB support whereas other markets got it with DAB+, luckily they changed that as the solar radios are not the cheapest and DAB+ support was certainly warranted when they went on sale.
Old 14th Dec 2018, 10:12 pm   #93
Radio Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave walsh View Post
"Radio 4 please Hal".
I find there's a certain odd feeling in being called Dave and addressing a voice operated device as HAL. I'd expect your request to elicit. "I'm sorry, Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that."

I notice that Siri is primed about requests to open pod bay doors, but is completely in the dark about A-E-3-5 units.

David
Old 16th Dec 2018, 9:53 pm   #94
Grubhead
Heptode

When I was looking around for a new AV receiver, I found that most didn't have DAB on them. FM yes, but not DAB Radio. I thought I would be missing out. So I looked into it. Apparently DAB is crap! And only the UK is going nuts about it. The stations that broadcast on it only use 128kbps, the lowest level used on MP3. Whereas Internet Radio uses 320kbps, the higher rate of MP3.
So as the receiver I was interested had Internet Radio, I went for that. All the main stations are on it and at 320kbps. So my Dad listens to Friday Night is Music Night on BBC Radio Two at 320KBPS!
So why would anyone want DAB?
Old 16th Dec 2018, 10:30 pm   #95

Quote:
It has many more stations than AM/FM and can be got on the move without extra cost. I like Radio 4 (extra) and the World Service on the move. The bitrates are configurable (Radio Three has the best as far as I know, World Service enough for very good for speech). I do use Freeview for high quality home audio (a good play or the like) from a set top box and DAB to feed my pantry transmitter, certainly good enough for AM radios.

Old 16th Dec 2018, 10:31 pm   #96

Quote:
Apparently DAB is crap!
I have split my reply to add "ever tried it?" (my italics).

Old 16th Dec 2018, 11:26 pm   #97
Junk Box Nick
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grubhead View Post
It doesn't drop out like internet radio. It still works when the internet is down.
Old 16th Dec 2018, 11:48 pm   #98
Nuvistor
Dekatron

DAB works for me, they are portable type radios but I use them on the mains power. Not HiFi but I couldn’t tell HiFi with my hearing. It works, solid and reliable where I use them.

Signal strength is certainly much better than when they started transmissions so at home I don’t have burbling and drop outs. Very rarely lose the signal when I am out and about in the car, but has noted in an earlier post it depends on your location like other transmission systems.
Streaming internet radio at my daughters house is a non starter, FM poor but DAB useable. Satellite is the best.
Old 17th Dec 2018, 12:50 am   #99
Grubhead
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinmaxwell View Post
Quote:
Apparently DAB is crap!
I have split my reply to add "ever tried it?" (my italics).
I answered that when I mentioned it. So No!

That "crap" answer was the result of searching the net to find out if I needed to have it on my AVR. That was the general viewpoint outside. Also that only the UK was pushing it and nobody else was bothered about it.

FM radio also doesn't drop out and you can have it on a portable, which to be honest are not generally hi-fi sound systems. So you might as well stick to FM radio.
If the best people can come up with is portable, then DAB would be a waste of money too.

To be honest I have largely given up on Radio. I lost most of my interest when they split the FM radio stations up into Pop Music on FM and oldies on "Gold" AM. I listen to it in doctors surgeries, where it's annoying or the odd taxi, where it is the same.
The Sunday top 40's used to be magic, but the music industry has destroyed that pleasure too.
Old 17th Dec 2018, 1:04 am   #100
Grubhead
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinmaxwell View Post
Quote:
It has many more stations than AM/FM and can be got on the move without extra cost. I like Radio 4 (extra) and the World Service on the move.
I should imagine if the stations are on DAB then they will also be on the internet. The two you mention are BBC services so they should be free anyway.

radio online

25 Pages of stations for the UK only on that site alone, with perhaps 55 stations on each page. I haven't check them all, but that's what's on page one.
Closed Thread