UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 25th Nov 2018, 1:34 am   #21
ben
Dekatron

Default Re: TV Identification.

With all this jumping about from one set to another, there seems little point in going into discussion if the set in question never actually ends up in your hands. We've had Philips, Goodmans, Pye, Luxor and Murphy in the space of about ten days!

Please don't take this the wrong way, but might I suggest that you first buy one of these sets (after testing it in the seller's place ideally) then when you have it in front of you, ask away as regards servicing. Otherwise, this discussion could just become interminable and ultimately be of little use to anyone.
Old 25th Nov 2018, 1:43 am   #22
Restoration73
Nonode

It is virtually impossible to provide insight on a whole generation of televisions by means
of requesting posted information for every set seen. In the absence of contact with a
suitable mentor, say a former qualified practising tv engineer or designer, your best
option is to form opinions based on those in the trade, and whose writings in this
UK magazine were a great inspiration for many of us in the trade;
https://www.americanradiohistory.com...n_Magazine.htm
Old 25th Nov 2018, 1:54 am   #23
19Seventy7
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben View Post
With all this jumping about from one set to another, there seems little point in going into discussion if the set in question never actually ends up in your hands. We've had Philips, Goodmans, Pye, Luxor and Murphy in the space of about ten days!

Please don't take this the wrong way, but might I suggest that you first buy one of these sets (after testing it in the seller's place ideally) then when you have it in front of you, ask away as regards servicing. Otherwise, this discussion could just become interminable and ultimately be of little use to anyone.
I get what you mean, and don't worry, I didn't take it the wrong way, all the sets I've had the chance to get, but the main issues are 1) Transport and 2) The price going up. Its usually I've been able to get

I just wanted to ask before I got it, then it turns out I got one which is way too complex for me to service. I just like to know what im getting before hand.
Old 25th Nov 2018, 2:27 am   #24
hamid_1
Heptode

I have the exact same set. It's a Murphy V2423 which uses the A774 chassis.

I restored it last year - see here: https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=138858

Luckily mine wasn't too difficult to get working again. The most awkward part was repairing the push-button tuner mechanism. Some plastic parts had broken inside. Luckily another kind forum member sent me some spare parts which enabled me to fix it.

These weren't the most reliable of sets. Back in the late 1970s we had a 20" one as our family TV. It broke down quite frequently (about once every 3 months) but since it was rented, the repairs were carried out free of charge for us, at the TV rental shop's expense. Eventually they must have got fed up of repairing it, because they offered us a Philips G11 colour TV instead, which we accepted. The G11 proved much more reliable, averaging one repair every 2 years.

Bear in mind though, that these TVs are now 40+ years old. You can't really expect them to work for a long time without needing some repairs now and then. At least they were designed to be repaired, unlike modern TVs. The problem nowadays is that the old TV repair shops have pretty much gone, and so have most of the spare parts suppliers. If (or when) your vintage TV goes wrong, you'll either have to source the spare parts and fix it yourself or find someone on this forum to help you.

The A774 (the above TV) in particular, suffered from line output transformer (LOPT) failure. The set in your picture seems to be working well at the moment, but if the LOPT fails, it could be difficult to find a replacement part. Bear this in mind.

Personally, I would say that if you like the set, go for it, but only pay what you can afford to lose, considering that it could go faulty at any time. Of course, you could re-list it as spares or repair and get some of your money back. On the other hand, the picture tube (CRT) looks good. These don't usually fail suddenly, so if the worst came to the worst, you or someone else could use this to restore another 24" B/W TV (pretty much all of them used the same CRT, it doesn't have to be another Murphy set.)
Old 25th Nov 2018, 10:56 am   #25
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Released in 1985 the Luxor employs the tiny SX9 chassis the first I believe to use micro control. I was a Scantic/Luxor agent selling the truly excellent and super reliable B1 and B2 chassis. These were really great receivers and much liked by customers.

I had a lot of problems with the SX9 that took a long time to sort out. Poor earthing and weird faults. I must admit I hated them and after a long and happy relationship with SL I decided to let the account lapse. Real shame as they were an excellent company.

The SX9 was very versatile and could be equipped with teletext by way of an extra plug in board in less than 5 mins. It would also operate on differing standards. It had a large remote control that carried out all functions. Maybe not so happy days with the SX9. John.
Old 25th Nov 2018, 12:27 pm   #26
linescan87
Heptode

Experienced people here can certainly advise if a particular set is reliable or known to be troublesome from years of dealing with them in the trade, however they will find it hard to advise if you will be able to service it yourself as we don't know what your skill level is with electronics and trouble shooting.

John Joe.
Old 29th Nov 2018, 12:42 am   #27
19Seventy7
Octode

Well, if its any help, I can work on record players, radios and cassette players. TVs? No. I've never used a TV and troubleshooting isn't my strongest point, but I can sometimes visually tell.

Thanks
Old 29th Nov 2018, 3:48 am   #28
ben
Dekatron

That won't cut it when it comes to vintage TVs I'm afraid.

I would take the advice given earlier, and look for an 1980s set which has a '70's look' about it. Something like a Grundig CUC220, Philips K30 or one of the Ferguson TX. They are likely to need less work less often.
Old 29th Nov 2018, 4:44 pm   #29
19Seventy7
Octode

Thats exactly what I thought as I understand the step up it would be in work. I have infact been looking at 80s TVs now, and since looking, I do quite like them too.

I'll keep an eye out for those sets.

Thanks.
Old 29th Nov 2018, 8:24 pm   #30
Lloyd 1985
Nonode

When I started collecting TV sets I hadn’t got a clue about how they worked or how to repair one that didn’t, my first was a Hitachi black and white portable, it worked but had low height, I remember seeing the little holes in the back with a little diagram of a tv screen with arrows pointing up and down, and I could see a little screwdriver slot in the hole, so at 9 years old I borrowed one of Dads screwdrivers and carefully put it in the slot, with the set off, and tweaked it a little bit, turned the set on to see what effect it had, a couple of goes got me full height, and I enjoyed the set for a few years before it got replaced with a brand new Daewoo colour portable. So that was my very first tv ‘repair’!

After that I learned from books, one from my Grandad, which went into detail of buying second hand TV sets and repairing them, ex rental scrappers it focused on mostly. I also used to find broken and smashed up sets and pinch bits from them to study further!

Since those days I have learnt quite a bit from more books, the internet, especially this forum and VRAT, I have got quite a number of sets going, I still don’t claim to know that much about the workings of tvs, I know more than I did when I was 9 though! One of the books that helped me understand the most was ‘how electronic things work, and what to do when they don’t’, it’s quite basic, but worth a read.

I think you would do ok to get hold of something 80’s, a Ferguson TX9 or similar, one that already works, and just enjoy it as it is, whilst also having a good read on TV repair, look at some past TV repair and restoration threads, get some service manuals to have a look through too, the one for the Thorn 3500 chassis goes into great detail describing different parts of the circuit and how they work.

Regards
Lloyd
Old 30th Nov 2018, 3:06 am   #31
19Seventy7
Octode

Thank you. I have been reading some online TV magazines from the 60s, 70s and 80s to try an familiarise myself with them a little more. I would definitely get some books, if I 1) had the money (im still a full time student so I cant work and earn money) and 2, I don't know anywhere that sells them apart from online.

As you have probably guessed, my plan has changed a little, I was going to get a 1970s set, but im now more tempted to get an 80s set as a first set to learn and get to grips with old tube TVs. I've seen many 80s sets online which I am interested in, for example there is one up right now (1980s Philips 24")

I would get a portable, but I would much rather a bigger screen, and as strange as it sounds, I have the space for a larger set, but not a smaller...

I'm looking forward to getting one as I do really enjoy old technology and working on it (if needed)

I'll look up those books now!

Thanks.
Old 28th Dec 2018, 5:23 pm   #32
Vectamart
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsertNameHere View Post
Trying to broaden my searches, as I have been unsuccessful in getting the TV's mentioned before. I have found this 1970s Murphy B/W TV, which I quite like.

I was wondering if these sets would be easy to work on/maintain. I know people said that Philips G8/G11s were the way to go, but they were for colour sets, which I assume is a lot more complex.

Any info on them would be great!

Thanks
I handled a large number of Rank A774 series sets and I didn't think they were all that bad. The main bugbears were LOPT failure and dry joints where the chassis struts were bonded to the PCB. Later LOPTs came with an EHT tray which eliminated the problems with the EHT overwind. Picture quality was generally pretty good and the sets were quite easy to work on.
Old 28th Dec 2018, 5:40 pm   #33
19Seventy7
Octode

Thanks for that information, I have actually got myself a TV now, from 1977, but thank you anyway. It's appreciated

Thanks
Closed Thread