UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Offered and Wanted Messages > Sets, Parts and Service Information Wanted (private buyers only, no swaps)

Notices

Sets, Parts and Service Information Wanted (private buyers only, no swaps) If you need help obtaining components, sets or equipment, post a message here. Private buyers only - no traders. No swaps.

Old 25th Aug 2019, 2:02 pm   #1
John G8MWF
Hexode

Default Burndept BE439 or similar Handheld wanted.

I used to work for Burndepts way back in 1973!

It would be really nice to buy one of these for nostalgia and to bring back a lot f memories from that time.

So if anyone has or knows someone who is willing to part with one of these then please contact me to discuss a possible deal.

Kind regards

John G8MWF
John G8MWF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Aug 2019, 10:04 pm   #2
Biggles
Nonode

Default Re: Burndept BE439 or similar Handheld wanted.

Remind me what a 439 looks like. I worked mainly on BE470s. I am sure Burndept did a mobile and possibly a newer hand-portable later on, presumably for the WARC change-over, but to be honest it's a long time ago now, and the memory fades.
Alan.
Biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Aug 2019, 10:18 pm   #3
John G8MWF
Hexode

Hello Alan,
The 439 was the grand daddy of the 400 series - NO CTSS or any other thrills!

I believe that they appeared on Life On Mars and were on loan from the Pye museum.

If memory serves me they used a TBA300, my first IC, in the audio stage and LOTS of flea transistors - and soldering them at the tender age of 16 was not a problem.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BE400 series.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	20.6 KB
ID:	188918   Click image for larger version

Name:	Burndept 400 series p2.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	11.5 KB
ID:	188919  
Old 26th Aug 2019, 7:48 pm   #4
Biggles
Nonode

That blue colour and the dual yellow PP3 style battery slot (with the extra contact on it?) certainly seem familiar. I wonder if I am getting mixed up with the numbers. The hand-portables I worked on came in two versions one with a red PTT button on the top and one with a yellow button. They were full of little modules and had a battery saver which used to develop a fault causing a ticking sound in the speaker. Known as "super-tick" The heads were detachable and were held on by four little screws. Sorry if I am rambling on a bit, and unfortunately can't help find the radios you are after. I suspect most went in the famous crusher after being withdrawn from service, as was the supposed fate of most Home Office comms kit that I dealt with. It was also difficult to "retain" any items of interest. it all disappeared into the black hole.
Alan.
Old 26th Aug 2019, 8:07 pm   #5
John G8MWF
Hexode

Hello Alan,
I am pretty sure we are talking about the same 'type' of radio.
The colour of the button sometimes were sometimes chosen by the 'customer' or used to denote if they were intrinsically safe.

The power saving module on the earlier models was called the mute S/by module but I was never involved on final testing as that was carried out in the cabins by more experienced engineers and not some wet behind the ears 16 year old like myself!
Old 27th Aug 2019, 3:26 pm   #6
Jon_G4MDC
Heptode

Was it not the case that HO demanded a special be made which used those ~PP3 sized Yellow NiCads?

They had thousands in stock and the chargers to suit them from the replacement of the Pye PF1. I'm not sure whether Red/Yellow PTT button followed that change...someone once told me it did but I have no first hand info.

Good luck with your search. Should be cheaper than a Bodie & Doyle PF8 with any luck.
Jon_G4MDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Aug 2019, 4:16 pm   #7
John G8MWF
Hexode

Yes it was the case with the PF 1 batteries but they also made a version with a propriety single battery as well. This model had a different PCB board from the other and they were not interchangeable as far as the batteries were concerned.

They occasionally come up on eBay but they are normally the later versions with CTSS and have been heavily modified for amateur radio.

My brother in law around that time had the same hair style as 'Doyle' and the mini cab company that he worked for gave him the call sign of 3-7!
Old 27th Aug 2019, 6:05 pm   #8
Jon_G4MDC
Heptode

Like it. The story I was given is that the single battery had the Red Button and the 2x PF1 was Yellow. My friend always showed great excitement if a Yellow button one was spotted at a rally. He eventually bought one but I can't recall if it ever got on the air.
Old 27th Aug 2019, 6:24 pm   #9
John G8MWF
Hexode

Hello Jon,

I only remember the RED button version and after briefly looking on a QSL net web page https://www.qsl.net/gm8aob/pages_2/be439.htm it 'appears' that some later series had a Yellow button.
The Pye battery version shown does have a Red button.

So I am looking for the RED button version - probably laying unloved at the back of someones shack! . . . . . .
Old 28th Aug 2019, 3:29 pm   #10
Jon_G4MDC
Heptode

Good luck with the search. I remember assisting with taking one apart and that is about it.
Sorry can't help.
Old 29th Aug 2019, 8:43 pm   #11
John G8MWF
Hexode

Today I had a partial success and I managed to purchase the main body of a 400 series handheld which is being posted to me.
I will not be able to find out the exact model number until it arrives but that is something to look forward to!

Now the list is slightly smaller and I need the following parts to try and recreate one of these old handsets -

1. A diagram of a BE 430 series handset.(It would be nice to try and get it working if possible.

2. Purchase or borrow a plug in microphone/speaker head for the main body for testing.

3. Possibly a couple of PF1 batteries but I will have to find out which model I have first.

ANY help would be very much appreciated.
Old 30th Aug 2019, 11:57 pm   #12
John G8MWF
Hexode

Item 1, the manual, has been found thanks to the help of Dave g1jwg.
He has lots of information on his site about the 470 series which is very similar to the 439. http://www.radiohistory.uk/downloads/BurndeptBE470.pdf

At the moment I do not know which model I have purchased until it arrives so it may well be the correct manual anyway!
The only major difference that I can see on the diagram is the addition of a Tone Squelch Module on the 470 which is the same as a CTSS function.
Old 2nd Sep 2019, 3:56 pm   #13
John G8MWF
Hexode

Update -

Today I received the main body of the BE439 and it looks like it may well be one of the 'old' ones which is exactly what I am looking for.

It appears to be a high band version and still contains crystals from its previous life probably in one of the services.

Some of the crystals are rusting and their markings are unreadable but overall the PCB board is in good condition and doesn't look messed around with.
The PTT button is missing a spring but I am sure a fix can eventually be found for this.
G1JWG is kindly posting me a unit that is missing modules but it does have a head which means I should be able to start work on this radio soon.

Unfortunately the plastic case developed a hair line crack during posting and fell apart when I removed the PCB.

Does anyone know of some REALLY good glue for plastic? - I haven't had much luck with glues in the past and I will probably only get one shot at making a good job.

it has been a real surprise to me on the short amount of time it has taken, so far, to get this far!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190902_152523.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	189348   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190902_152512.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	189349   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190902_152818.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	106.1 KB
ID:	189350   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190902_152849.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	189351  
Old 2nd Sep 2019, 6:36 pm   #14
TonyDuell
Dekatron

If you can find a solvent for the plastic then you can 'weld' it which I have found is the best way to repair such damage.

You put the pieces toghether and run a brush dipped in the solvent along the cracks. Hold the parts together but do not press hard enough to force out the softened plastic. Let the solvent evaporate and the repair is done. If you want to make it even stronger, then cut a piece of cotton fabric to fit on the back of the repair, put it on and 'paint' it with the solvent. Then press it into the softened plastic. Of course this looks a little messy on the inside so you might not want to do it.

As for the solvent, I'd try dicholoromethane (methylene chloride), for example :

http://modelshop.co.uk/Shop/Adhesive...-500ml/ITM5061
TonyDuell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Sep 2019, 6:53 pm   #15
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

For glueing the plastic - there used to be available from places like Halfords various adhesive kits intended for repairing car bumpers that had got split in the inevitable parking 'nudges'.

A friend successfully used such a kit many years ago on the rear bumper of his Montego. You need to keep the parts clamped firmly for quite some time [days...] while the stuff completely cures.
G6Tanuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Sep 2019, 9:10 pm   #16
Jon_G4MDC
Heptode

Ah that is a great pity.
I think it could respond to a good quality superglue - if the parts are clean and precisely aligned.
Welding by softening will distort the edges. 50p worth...
Old 2nd Sep 2019, 9:42 pm   #17
John G8MWF
Hexode

I have not had much luck with the general Purpose Super Glues including the industrial versions.

The information given by Tony makes sense but I am not sure what type of plastic this is - probably ABS - but I don't want to keep buying different types of glue, not cheap, making a mess, only to find that it doesn't quite work anyway!

So I looked on eBay for Super Glues that target plastics and came up with this one for just under 8 for a 20g bottle -

Deluxe Materials Roket Plastic Glue Superfine Liquid Cement AD62
Deluxe Materials Roket Plastic glue is a high quality super fine liquid plastic cement. Sets usually in 8-10 seconds with invisible joints. Non-clog, minimal odour, non-toxic and non-flammable. Fine non clog tip supplied. Always read the instructions before use.

This one claims to be a cement which, to me anyway, suggest that it has the combined qualities of super glue and a solvent?

Or I keep looking, which I will do anyway, for a new case - and they come in two types as well!
Old 2nd Sep 2019, 9:47 pm   #18
Jon_G4MDC
Heptode

OK John - well it is quite a mine field.
You are quite right that you can think this or that will work and then it doesn't.
Those who make the big claims might be pushing something expensive...
Back in the day when trying to stick PTFE an activator spray was recommended. That cost s and it all still fell apart.

I might see if a small spot holds. If it does then try to glue the rest. If it has no appreciable stick - then something else is needed.
Old 2nd Sep 2019, 9:57 pm   #19
Biggles
Nonode

Those photos appear to be the same as the sets I worked on many years ago. I remember that you could easily tune the crystals up to the next channel by mistake if you were too keen with the trim capacitor adjustment. We typically used a crystal calibrated and adjusted for zero beat while transmitting. For receive we used the old 10.7MHz marker and zero beat technique also. I still have a Racal calibrator somewhere. Tx current was checked and mute/deviation etc at the same time. I must have processed hundreds in my time. The cases were a weak point along with screws going missing from the head, and heads becoming loose. Every stub antenna had teeth marks on it for some reason. It's always been the thing with hand portables, chewed antennas.
Alan.
Old 7th Sep 2019, 6:56 pm   #20
John G8MWF
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_G4MDC View Post
OK John - well it is quite a mine field.
You are quite right that you can think this or that will work and then it doesn't.
Those who make the big claims might be pushing something expensive...
Back in the day when trying to stick PTFE an activator spray was recommended. That cost s and it all still fell apart.

I might see if a small spot holds. If it does then try to glue the rest. If it has no appreciable stick - then something else is needed.
After looking through the many adverts on eBay I decided to try a glue that was specified for use on 'rigid plastics' - and it worked - very well! See enclosed picture.

It cost me less than 3 for the tube and appears to have its origins in eastern Europe.
The glue uses Polychloride which melts the surface of the plastic. This sets in about 10 minutes and cures to a usable state in around 12 hours.
There is a use by date stamped into the bottom of the tube.

So this time it looks like I have been lucky for a change . . . .
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190907_183529.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	189657