UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 9th Sep 2018, 3:45 pm   #1
ramon56
Retired Dormant Member

Default Dynatron GR14 Cordova stereo problem.

Hope someone can help. I've got a Dynatron Cordova mono record player in really nice condition. However, when playing stereo records one channel is barely audible. I know this deck originally came with an optional extra speaker for stereo sound so I tried plugging in additional speaker but still you can barely hear one of the channels.
Could this be just a stylus issue, or something more serious?
Thanks
Old 9th Sep 2018, 5:45 pm   #2
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Default Re: Dynatron GR14 Cordova stereo problem.

There's no point in plugging a speaker into the "stereo" socket on your Dynatron. You'll not get stereo, in fact you won't hear anything. This socket is for connecting a stereo adaptor unit (i.e. a amplified loudspeaker) for the RH channel. We need to know what kind of cartridge is fitted to your tone arm. It may be a stereo-compatible mono cartridge (2 connectors) in which case you will automatically hear both channels - or - it may be a stereo cartridge (4 connectors) which will need the LH and RH channels bridging. Please advise.
Old 10th Sep 2018, 8:38 am   #3
ben
Dekatron

These usually came with a Garrard 3000 series deck and a Sonotone 9TAHC or Acos cart, both of which are stereo. If you're missing one channel, check first the connections at the cart rear - be very careful as the wires are very thin and can easily detach from the soldered tags if handled at all roughly.
I do not know if these units have a make/break socket/plug contact for bridging the two channels to mono when not used with extension stereo amp/speaker (a la Bush SRP31) - that would be the next area to check. Perhaps someone here more clued in could advise on this point.
Old 10th Sep 2018, 9:25 am   #4
Station X

The service data is available here:-

https://www.service-data.com/product...12/1814/a11312

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 10th Sep 2018, 8:00 pm   #5
ramon56
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Huggins View Post
There's no point in plugging a speaker into the "stereo" socket on your Dynatron. You'll not get stereo, in fact you won't hear anything. This socket is for connecting a stereo adaptor unit (i.e. a amplified loudspeaker) for the RH channel. We need to know what kind of cartridge is fitted to your tone arm. It may be a stereo-compatible mono cartridge (2 connectors) in which case you will automatically hear both channels - or - it may be a stereo cartridge (4 connectors) which will need the LH and RH channels bridging. Please advise.
Thanks Edward. I've attached a pic of the cartridge, does this tell you anything? I thought maybe the 'S' means stereo?
Actually the 2nd speaker just reproduces the sound from the main speaker - ie very quiet LH channel.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180823_115355.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	19.9 KB
ID:	169060  
Old 11th Sep 2018, 8:58 am   #6
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

You've attached a picture of the stylus not the cartridge. The 'S' does indeed stand for Stereo. This simply means that the stylus tip is of a radius suitable for playing stereo records. The cartridge is the item into which the stylus clips, and will have a make/model no. similar to those suggested by Ben in post # 2, although it could be another make and model.
Old 11th Sep 2018, 9:02 am   #7
ben
Dekatron

That looks like a BSR ST12/14/15 to me, though I've not seen one with the lettering embossed before. As suggested by LIVEWIRE, a picture of the cartridge in the arm would help. I suspect someone has replaced it at some point in time and not connected it up correctly.
Old 13th Sep 2018, 7:25 pm   #8
ramon56
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'LIVEWIRE?' View Post
You've attached a picture of the stylus not the cartridge. The 'S' does indeed stand for Stereo. This simply means that the stylus tip is of a radius suitable for playing stereo records. The cartridge is the item into which the stylus clips, and will have a make/model no. similar to those suggested by Ben in post # 2, although it could be another make and model.
OK here's a couple of pictures of the cartridge. The only identifying features it has are '52T' and 'Japan'. A google search would suggest this is a Sonotone cartridge. the deck is a Garrard 1000.
The cartridge has 4 wires connected, all seem to be firmly soldered and connected properly.
Perhaps I need to remove the deck and investigate the other end as suggested by Ben?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180912_174756.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	24.6 KB
ID:	169260   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180912_175619.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	22.5 KB
ID:	169261  
Old 13th Sep 2018, 11:18 pm   #9
ben
Dekatron

That's a Sonotone 52T. Very scarce outside the US. It may well be knackered like quite a few of this era now are.

One quick test before condemning it. Put the volume about midway. Get a small jewellers metal screwdriver and , with the arm raised as in your first photo, gently touch each of the 4 contacts. On two there should be a loud ish buzz. Post back with findings.
Old 14th Sep 2018, 4:52 pm   #10
ramon56
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks Ben, I tried that and yes indeed, two of the wires buzz (the green and white if that makes any difference).
Old 15th Sep 2018, 9:08 am   #11
John10b
Nonode

Just a thought, you may be able to fix the Cartridge, could I suggest you take a look at some pictures on the thread “bass response....”. I opened a Sonotone cartridge and found corrosion on the pins, the ceramic elements were ok. It’s a bit tricky but if all fails at least you had a go.
Cheers
John
Closed Thread