UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 20th Dec 2017, 9:53 pm   #1
dualloop
Pentode

Default Re-attaching plug to cartridge wire

Hi,

I'm going to be replacing the cartridge on my record player so have removed the existing one from the tone arm.

However, since the record player is 45+ years old and probably has never had the cartridge replaced since it was built, one of the metal plugs that was connected to one of the cartridge wires has come off and i'm really struggling to re-attach it, mainly due to it being really small and fiddly.

Does anyone have any advice how I can do this properly?

I can insert the wire a little bit into it but it doesn't go in all the way or is secure enough to not fall out. I have tried to unblock it but fear I have made it worse.

I have attached a picture of it just in case I haven't explained myself enough.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20171220_204328.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	19.8 KB
ID:	154296  
Old 20th Dec 2017, 10:11 pm   #2
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Default Re: Re-attaching plug to cartridge wire

The wire will require soldering to the connector, do not put the connector on the cartridge while soldering, you will ruin the cartridge.
Old 20th Dec 2017, 10:14 pm   #3
dseymo1
Retired Dormant Member

Tin the wire, hold the connector in a 'third hand' or whatever you have, heat it until the solder melts and insert the wire (using forceps if it's easier). Hold still until the solder sets to avoid a dry joint.
Easing the wire end of the connector open a little first might facilitate the process.

Edit: Cross-posted!
Old 20th Dec 2017, 10:22 pm   #4
dualloop
Pentode

Thanks for the responses.

Do I not need to prise open the connector first?

I can't see how I can effectively solder it in place in it's current state as it doesn't appear to insert all the way.

Sorry, I've never attached one of these before.
Old 20th Dec 2017, 11:24 pm   #5
ms660
Dekatron

You might find prising open the crimps difficult without messing things up.

If so then leave the crimps as was then fully open the cable grip nice and wide, for best results the tag socket needs to be held, I used to use a good fitting small steel nail/pin pushed into the socket then clamp the free end of the nail in a vice or whatever, lightly tin the furrow (the valley formed by the two crimps) try not to get solder in the socket, strip the cable to about 75% of the length of the furrow, twist the strands of wire together then tin quickly from the end, lay the tinned part of the cable in the furrow and hold in place steadily, clean tip of iron and take up enough fresh solder for the joint (not too much) and apply to the joint immediately, make sure that operation is quick and good, when all's cooled down close up the cable grip tight(ish) on the cables insulation.

Make sure solder doesn't flow into the socket part.

As already mentioned the socket must not be fitted to the cartridge 'till all is done.

Steady hands required....Good luck whicheverways.

Talkin' old style 60/40 multicore solder here.

Lawrence.

Last edited by ms660; 20th Dec 2017 at 11:30 pm.
Old 20th Dec 2017, 11:59 pm   #6
AJSmith625
Pentode

Follow instructions as above by ms660 , but as an anchor for the connector I push this on to a WOODEN cocktail stick. This will prevent solder flowing into the connector and blocking it. The other end of the stick poke into a small ball of childs modeling clay or similar. Have this on a small piece of paper or cardboard so it does not mark the turntable mat.

Alan
Old 21st Dec 2017, 12:18 am   #7
GrimJosef
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms660 View Post
... try not to get solder in the socket ...

Make sure solder doesn't flow into the socket part ...

... Good luck ...
I agree with this. It helps if you can mount the connector vertically with the socket at the top. But capillary action can still pull the liquid solder upwards. Quite often the original joint was crimped, not soldered, I guess to avoid this problem.

Cheers,

GJ
Old 21st Dec 2017, 2:10 am   #8
emeritus
Dekatron

A pair of pliers and a couple of elastic bands wrapped round the handles to bias the pliers closed can be used as clamps for holding small items when soldering. You can adjust the pressure by using more or fewer elastic bands.
Closed Thread